NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 BFN Mufflers?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 BFN Mufflers?
    Posted: November-12-2014 at 2:53pm
Not knowing the history of my Boat prior to me owning it, just knowing it was abused and butchered along the way I was wondering what the mufflers were originally on an 87 BFN.

Just pulled everything out of the bilge of the boat (new engine is on the stand being prepped for a rebuild - old cracked block went to the dump this weekend)and power washed the whole interior.

I'm looking at the mufflers and to me they appear to be just some 3" white PVC pipe (no printing on them though). The wire wrapped exhaust hose from the manifolds was inserted into some kind of a rubber sleeve about 6" wide (like a plumber would use to attach pvc drain pipe to cast iron) which had 2 radiator clamps on it, one end holding the exhaust hose, one end on the "muffler" tube. Doesn't seem like a professional installation, but I can't find any pictures for a late 80's BFN exhaust.

I know the SN's have fiberglass mufflers, with bells on each end, and a section of tubing for the exhaust hose to fit over, and it seems like the BFNs should have had something similar from the factory.

Does this installation seem like another hack by a previous owner, or is that they way the BFNs were made? If its a hack will a SN exhaust tube work in a BFN?

Thanks,

Mark C
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 2:57pm
Another hack. DD Bfns used the same 3" mufflers as the SN's. The only difference between the small block/big block exhaust path was the 3.5" to 3" reducer/elbows used on the 454.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 3:00pm
I do have the reducer elbows, but I'm going to need new exhaust tubing because its shot, some of it was held together with duct tape (I didn't do it).

OK, found this one in the Pumkin Patch rebuild thread, and mine are definately not like these, and these are way bigger than standard SN mufflers.

Now the question is, whats inside these beasts, is it just a hollow cylinder, or are there baffles inside. I know I can just leave what i have, but someone will definately know I'm coming (or going) with the big block up on a plane.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 3:03pm
The mufflers in my 79 and 87 BFN's were the same as the mufflers in my '80 SN and '78 Tique. Not sure why Greg's look a little larger in diam, might be an optical illusion.

They are baffled, and do knock down how far the sound carries. Straight piped boats are not quiet.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 3:39pm
You need some used ones Marky?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 3:39pm
For your cold weather viewing pleasure.

cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 4:48pm
Since I have held both mufflers (87 SN and 88 BF)in my hand, I can tell you they are different! I didn't take any measurements, but the BF seemed more stoutly built. Neither are quiet compared to my 90 SN Invertaflow. The baffles help keep water from backflowing during deceleration and may keep them slightly quieter.
Good luck on finding new ones, perhaps someone parting one out has them.
In any case, it's a beautiful noise to my ears. I can hear my BN idling when I park the trailer a half a block away over the levee.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 5:12pm
Why the mufflers?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

You need some used ones Marky?

I might, but if they are the same as SN's I've seen a spare set sitting in John D's (JDD) tool shed from his 87 SN part out, assuming he still has them and will sell them. He's only 20 miles from me, and I pass within a half mile of his house almost every weekend.

If they weren't baffled, I would just put some glass on some 3" (or 4") PVC pipe and then cut them in half, baffle them and then close them up. Shouldn't be a big deal, couple of yards of fiberglass and some sacrificial PVC pipe. Building baffles can be a science unto itself though. I know the boat is loud as is, just from having it idle in the driveway. Under full throttle it will be brutal.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 5:28pm
Hahaha brutal. Yeah I have a set but buy Johns since you are close.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 11:47pm
BFNs can fit larger mufflers because they don't have to squeeze into those pockets between the main and secondary stringers like on a Ski Nautique. The mufflers that came out of our 80 Martinique were of the narrow/SN variety. I wonder if CC purposely put the smaller mufflers in small block v-hull boats that otherwise could have fit the bigger ones like Buffalo and cbr have, or if it was just a late(r) model year change, possibly with either engine or only big blocks. Tim's 87 BFN with smaller mufflers (supposing they are original) seem to indicate its an 88-90 update. I can't recall off hand if Johnny's 88 bbc BFN has the small or large mufflers. I want to say they are the smaller ones which leads me to the remote possibility that all CC's had small mufflers and both Buffalo cbr have similar, larger non-original replacements!

Or it could be a mixed bag which wouldn't be all that surprising although CC got fairly constant with their production by the late 80s. Who knows.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 1:25am
Mark,late to the party as usual but I have used Marine Muffler Corp mufflers who have been bought out by Centex. Both sets I have are made the same way,length being the only difference in the 3" size. Basically looking into either end the baffles is like looking down into a solo cup with a rounded rather than flat bottom with about a 1/4 to 1/3 of a side cut out. That opening faces down so that the water drains out of the muffler. Looks like the baffel part is glued or maybe just dropped in before the end cap reducer is glued on or might even be part of the end cap. When just looking at the outside of the muffler you can't tell that the baffle is even in there. Looking on Centex's site and see if different hp has different sizes might help you out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 8:40am
I found this picture of a baffle inside the muffler, can tell if there is just one installed at the exit end of the muffler, or it there might be more than one installed along the length of the tube. sure looks like there only one though.

The Centek mufflers in the 3" by 44" size seem to list in the 150 to 200+ dollars per side depending on the source. I can pick up some Centek Vernatube spun fiberglass tubing for about 14 dollars a foot for the 3-1/2" size, and 15 bucks a foot for the 5" size. From there making the end caps and a single baffle like the one pictured above (if there is only one) shouldn't be that big of an issue. I will have to check to see if the larger size 5" tube will fit between the main stringer and the removable floor section, and the floor support brace. Would think the larger diameter tube would have a lower tone to it.

The exhaust has apparently been this way since at least 2007 when Tim Benjamin looked at it when it was in RI.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Tim's 87 BFN with smaller mufflers (supposing they are original) seem to indicate its an 88-90 update.

Or it could be a mixed bag which wouldn't be all that surprising although CC got fairly constant with their production by the late 80s. Who knows.

I actually purchased the 87's mufflers 5+ years before I bought the boat- I'd be amazed if they weren't original as they're identical to the earlier cc mufflers from my various other boats. A change could have been made later or it could have been a mixed bag, or maybe the larger ones seen here were added later... tough to be 100% sure. Either way, it's certainly fine to put 3" ski nautique mufflers on a 454 barefoot nautique.

There are also aftermarket mufflers that are plenty effective for under $200/pr. I put a small stainless set of Eddie marine or Rex mufflers on my '90 and they took a lot of the bite out.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 10:33am
That's what my Marine Mufflers look like but they do have those baffles at both ends. I picked up a used pair on ebay for 80 bucks,they are only missing the decals
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 3:48pm
My 88 BF mufflers have 3 sets of baffles inside that sit at the bottom and choke off only about 1/3 of the muffler. At least that's how it was when I bought it in July. They looked original to me, the old carpet and zip ties had that 26 year old "patina" so treasured by collectors!
I know from modifying many motorcycle exhausts that larger diameter tubes make a deeper sound than skinny ones.
My BF is quite loud at full throttle, but mellow and deep at part throttle, especially sitting in the back seat with my wife driving.
Sounds just like I had hoped it would.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 4:55pm
These are the mufflers from Tom Beard's 1988 BBC Barefoot. I'm starting to think Buffalo's mufflers were replaced at some point.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 5:30am
I think mine are original to the boat. I'm not sure if they are bigger than those in my '79 were, but I think they are larger. I do know one of my baffles came loose on its own, so I knocked the corresponding one out to match.

I was curious about them at first myself. I had a friend's father look at them(he used to run the circuit-Griffen)), and he said mine looked just like his did; one end looks like a repair...he said his did too.

Don't forget to figure new 3" wire reinforced wet exhaust hose. Seems like it was 10-12$/ft a few years back. It was cheaper by the 10' stick from some sources, but you will need some corrugated for the forward bend.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 2:27am

My 87 Mufflers

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic