Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel
    Posted: November-03-2014 at 8:09pm
How do you remove a steering wheel from a late sixties model...the helm and center cap are chrome and look original on my boat but the steering wheel is all wrong. I have found a faux wood sport wheel that I want to replace the wrong one with. Does the center cap unscrew or just pull off? What are the steps after that?
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7613&sort=&pagenum=1
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 8:38pm
Robert,
A picture would be great since you don't have the original wheel on the boat. I can tell you that the original wheel center cap has a wire snap ring holding it on. If this is the case, look real close at the base of the cap where it meets the hub.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:21pm

This is the wheel I want to take off to put on the faux wood sport wheel.
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:23pm
How do you remove the ring? what tool do you use?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by skyfuzz skyfuzz wrote:

Awl.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 11:01pm
I use a pick or a very small screw driver. It will flex and pop out.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 11:45pm
The early 70s wheels I've seen have all had rectangular slots
Did they have round holes in the sixties or is that not an original?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 12:22am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Awl.

From the dictionary:
"awl
noun
a small pointed tool"
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I use a pick or a very small screw driver.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 7:49am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

The early 70s wheels I've seen have all had rectangular slots
Did they have round holes in the sixties or is that not an original?

Actually the steering wheels were generic so other manufacturers shared the same wheel. (At least the rectangle slots were) This wheel was common to Stars and Stripes MC.

Skyfuzz, what do you plan to do with old wheel?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 10:24am
Like Pete and Donald said, a small screwdriver or awl works well to remove the small spring clip. Once the cap is removed, the nut is accessible, hopefully the hub comes off the taper easy. Be gentle with the chrome cap holder, it's fragile.

This is the correct wheel for a Wildcat. You could reuse the hub, cap holder and cap from your current wheel.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281379396067
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 10:29am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Like Pete and Donald said, a small screwdriver or awl works well to remove the small spring clip. Once the cap is removed, the nut is accessible, hopefully the hub comes off the taper easy. Be gentle with the chrome cap holder, it's fragile.

This is the correct wheel for a Wildcat. You could reuse the hub, cap holder and cap from your current wheel.

link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 11:40am

What year wildcat are we talking? The wheel on my 67 is light years more badazz than that.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 12:53pm
He has a '69... At least he thinks he does!

You have the turnpike cruiser wheel on your '67? I don't think I've seen one used past '68.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 1:15pm
Is it a similar process for an older wheel with a throttle?
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 1:27pm

He has a '69... At least he thinks he does!

You have the turnpike cruiser wheel on your '67? I don't think I've seen one used past '68.

I was told by the former owner that it is a '69. I have requested a manufacture date for my boat. I think Keith can get me that info. I don't remember who I contacted last time when I wanted the info on my former Barracuda but I think it was Keith. The hull # is WC19316.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 1:27pm
Highly unlikely but Pete or Alan will confirm. I've only dealt with 3/4" taper rotary systems- the older fully mechanical steering systems may be a whole different animal.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 1:29pm
CCFan Keith? No... You'll need to call or email correct craft directly. I've also had Art look up a few hull numbers when he heads over to the factory.
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 1:35pm

CCFan Keith? No... You'll need to call or email correct craft directly. I've also had Art look up a few hull numbers when he heads over to the factory.

Okay thanks, I'll contact CC directly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

Is it a similar process for an older wheel with a throttle?

Yes, But first you need to remove the horn button and throttle. At the base of the steering column you will find the linkage arm for the throttle. Remove it and the inner tube along with the lever will slide out. The nut holding the wheel on is underneath.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 7:39pm
Thanks, Pete. When you say the horn button, I assume you are referring to the center button which has no actual horn function. Does this come out with the throttle or is taking this off a separate endeavor?
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 8:05pm
Sorry for the thread jack by the way. It seemed like a good place for one stop googling with steering wheel removal questions.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 8:18pm

Thanks, Pete. When you say the horn button, I assume you are referring to the center button which has no actual horn function. Does this come out with the throttle or is taking this off a separate endeavor?

No horn?? You should have one along with a horn relay. Have you been under the deck? Both the relay and horn should be there. At the bottom of the column, there should be wire. That's the ground source for the relay from the button.

Yes, the button will come out with the throttle tube.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 11:24pm
Well, you learn something new every day...I did not know that was the horn button and it turns out the horn must have been removed from the boat at some point, though I don't even see evidence of a previous horn mount. Would it have been located where the one in this photo is?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 11:43pm

Would it have been located where the one in this photo is?

Yes, it would have been mounted to a deck frame. The same with the relay.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 1:02pm

Sorry for the thread jack by the way. It seemed like a good place for one stop googling with steering wheel removal questions.

Because you apologized it's okay...but it never fails, every time I post a question about my boat and its issues and I seek assistance here, I get t-jacked. iboat forum is way better most of the time and most are polite and helpful without wisecracks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 3:02pm
Robert,
The title is "steering wheel" and that's really the content of the thread so I'm confused as to your concern. Yes, I did mention the horn button but that's part of the removal of the Sheller helm wheel. Don't forget that you also went into trying to find out the manufacture date of your boat.

Good luck on iboat but do visit us too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 3:28pm

Because you apologized it's okay...but it never fails, every time I post a question about my boat and its issues and I seek assistance here, I get t-jacked. iboat forum is way better most of the time and most are polite and helpful without wisecracks.

There is no ownership of threads on this forum - so you can't actually get thread jacked - you got the correct answer for free - a link to where you could find the right wheel and if you wanted you could sell your existing wheel here quickly for a decent price. If you want more than that good luck with your cc questions on iboats
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 3:35pm
Dip, Did you start a thread about that boat when you purchased it and put it in the diaries? If not, now would be a good time as it looks like a nice boat and I bet a lot of people would be interested in it.

I learn as much from thread jacks as I do from the OT!
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 4:12pm
My reasoning was that the original question was answered and the answer to my question may have been a simple yes, then it grew from there. Still sorry to distract from the OP's thread.

No, Bruce, I haven't created a diary entry or thread yet. I should create the diary entry. I've been doing a lot of research prior to starting the thread so I have a well founded base of information! I'll start one soon.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 4:22pm
It looks like a much nicer than average wood project boat. How do your kids like it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic