NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom trailer hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Kiteboarder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom trailer hitch
    Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:06am
What started out as an idea when my wife asked if we could bring both the SN2001 and the waverunner to the lake for the weekend, turned into a reality after a trip to Academy, Northern tool, and a local metal supply for the square tubing.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:07am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:18am
Tandem tow
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 3:27am
Illegal in these parts but oh so convenient...lol.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 6:35am
You should paint the truck like a train engine.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 6:45am
Yeah it seems like a train when changing lanes. lol
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 8:04am
Unfortunately illegal in all states I believe. In 34~ states it's legal to tow like that but only with a fifth wheel and probably goose neck. Oh the convenience! Sshhhh, don't admit to the wave runner, that's as taboo as being a fisherman here, or tuber.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 9:20am
I like the creativity, simplicity and workmanship. Well done.

I'm not the towing police, so I can't comment on its appropriateness... but for moving things from place to place, it seems pretty cool!

PS. Many of us have PWCs on this site.... so post away!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 9:33am
BTW - Love my Triton PWC trailer! Bet you do too............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Unfortunately illegal in all states I believe. In 34~ states it's legal to tow like that but only with a fifth wheel and probably goose neck. Oh the convenience! Sshhhh, don't admit to the wave runner, that's as taboo as being a fisherman here, or tuber.

Todd,
+2 Well stated.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 10:00am
Why are there still leaves on the tree's??
PWC's on trailers are fine, it's once they hit the water they become a problem, lol.

Also not the PO PO, you will have to let us know when you get pinched and don't forget the Pics.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 10:07am
Most definitely not legal, but awesome nonetheless. Do you have functional lights on the PWC trailer in this configuration?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 10:31am
Many of us have seen the warning stickers CC puts on our trailers.... not to tow using the trailer.... its fun seeing someone actually try it.

I bet you wont be bothered by the cops for a while...Unless your window tint is too dark... Ha!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 10:39am
The legality part is just minor details but not being a fifth wheel is a bit of a safety concern. There's a reason majority of the states allow it but only with fifth wheels. Putting that trailer hitch behind the wheels is kinda like putting the boat motor behind the transom. If it were a <5 mile trip, sure I'd do it. Heaven forbid if an accident were to happen and the greedy insurance company got involved, they darn sure won't pay.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 10:39am
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 10:42am
My car trailer has a hitch and light setup on the back. I have the opportunity to give it a try this spring possible.

Best friend will be finishing his house on Lake Tuscaloosa. His 67 GTX is in Indiana still and needs to be moved down there. The 85 also needs to travel with us to utilize the lake while we visit.

I have access to a weight distributing hitch for the car trailer but the whole package will be within 1000-1500 lbs of total truck towing capacity. If it was a single trailer that heavy I would go for it but with a tandem I am hesitant.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 1:58pm
No problems with the 5.0 so far here in Texas. It trailers really well, no swaying, or other weird characteristics, pulls just like one trailer. Also the way it pivots the second trailer stays directly behind the first trailer, so its no different when going around corners. Longest trip so far was to Lake Ray Roberts about 340 miles each way. As far as lights go I found a Reese 24' flat four with male on one end and female connector on the other, so its just like a long extension cord for the trailer wiring. I just ran the trailer wire through the c-channel on the boat trailer secured by a few large tie straps.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:03pm
Laws for Texas

Max Vehicle Height: 14'
    Max Vehicle Width: 8 1/2'
    Combined Length: 65'
    Max Trailer Length: Not Specified. Total maximum combined length of 65 ft.
    Max Trailer Width: 8'6"
    Max Trailer Height: 14'0"
    Motor Home Length: 45'
    Two Vehicle Max Length: 65'
    Triple Tow Allowed: Yes Total maximum combined length of 65 ft.
    Safety Chains Required: Yes
    Breakaway Required: Yes. Required on trailers over 3000 lbs.
    Fire Extinguisher: Not Stated
    Flares & Signs: Yes
    Trailer Brakes Required: 4500
    Towed Cars: No laws regarding.
    Wipers: Not Stated
    Max Tow Speed: 70
    Ride in 5th Wheel: Not Specified
    Ride Pickup Camper: Yes
    Ride Travel Trailer: Not Specified.
    Weight Limits for Towing without Auxiliary Brakes: 4500lbs.
    Maximum Length - RV & Trailer Combo: 65ft.Includes Bumpers. Excludes devices determined to be necessary for safe and efficient operation
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

My car trailer has a hitch and light setup on the back. I have the opportunity to give it a try this spring possible.

Who you trying to kid that little Mopar couldn't even pull that small boat you picked up without blowing the rear end out.
Or maybe you're stepping up to a big boy truck (Ford) for the above double tow.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:20pm
Yes you got the 65' part right but there is more. I can't find anything yet that clearly states "[recreational] triple tow not allowed" but the verbiage here indicates it's not.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.621.htm

Sec. 621.205. MAXIMUM LENGTH OF VEHICLE COMBINATIONS.

(a) Except as provided by this section, a combination of not more than three vehicles, including a truck and semitrailer, truck and trailer, truck-tractor and semitrailer and trailer, or a truck-tractor and two trailers, may be coupled together if the combination of vehicles, other than a truck-tractor combination, is not longer than 65 feet.
(b) A passenger car or another motor vehicle that has an unloaded weight of less than 2,500 pounds may not be coupled with more than one other vehicle or towing device at one time. This subsection does not apply to the towing of a disabled vehicle to the nearest intake place for repair.

(c) A motor vehicle, including a passenger car, that has an unloaded weight of 2,500 pounds or more may be coupled with a towing device and one other vehicle.

(d) In this section:

(1) "Passenger car" means a motor vehicle designed to transport 10 or fewer persons simultaneously.

(2) "Towing device" means a device used to tow a vehicle behind a motor vehicle by supporting one end of the towed vehicle above the surface of the road and permitting the wheels at the other end of the towed vehicle to remain in contact with the road.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:26pm
Not legal in Florida.

Florida Law

Max Vehicle Height: 13 1/2'
    Max Vehicle Width: 8 1/2'
    Combined Length: 65'
    Max Trailer Length: 40'
    Max Trailer Width: 8'6"
    Max Trailer Height: 13'6"
    Motor Home Length: 45'
    Two Vehicle Max Length: 65'
    Triple Tow Allowed: no
    Safety Chains Required: Yes
Triple Tow Allowed: no
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:26pm
Don't care what the PoPo says..... I like the concept.... Good on ya!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:33pm
Thanks Hollywood, don't think I need to worry too much unless I take a long road trip out of state..
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:36pm
iRV2.com seems to have a couple knowledgable folks.

Originally posted by wrote:

As a resident of Texas, a CDL holder and an RV'er, I have looked at every law I can find that would pertian to doubles with an RV and the only limitation I can find is that total length cannot exceed 65 feet. While I have had many "experts" tell me that you can only double behind a 5th wheel, none have ever been able to pony up any proof when challenged to do so. I see it done here all the time and have done it myself when I trailer the motorcycle along on camping trips.

Generally.... the constabulatory types will not bother RV'ers for a second unless you are doing something heinous, in some far left part of the country or get unlucky and run into some Barney Fife type that wants to nip you in the bud.

What I learned long ago is stoopidity can be your friend... When challenged, if you act dumb enough you can get away with anything!

I'd hook 'em up and go!

As far as CDLs go... no CDL is required on any vehicle regardless of size or weight provided it its registered as a "Recreational Vehicle". You can apply the same thing on the rumors of CDL being required for a vehicle with air brakes. There's no such thing as an air brake endorsement, but there is such a thing as an air brake restriction.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:39pm
It's only a single PWC, but I've also seen cars fly off the highway avoiding smaller things such as an armchair or animal.

Strap your stuff down good and use some beefy chains. I hope that welding was good!

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/endrsRestrictions.htm
Driver License Endorsements and Restrictions Endorsements

Individuals may apply for an endorsement to be placed on their driver license. Depending on the type of endorsement, an individual may be required to provide additional information, complete a separate application, or pass a knowledge test specific to the type of endorsement the individual is seeking.

The types of endorsements an individual can apply for are listed in the chart below:

Endorsement Code

Description
H      Authorizes the transportation of hazardous material (CDL only)
N      Authorizes the operation of a tank vehicle (CDL only)
P      Authorizes the operation of a vehicle transporting passengers   (CDL only)
S      Authorizes the operation of a school bus (CDL only)
T      Authorizes towing two (double) or three (triple) trailers over a specified weight
X      Authorizes the operation of a combination of hazardous material and tank vehicle (CDL only)
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:44pm
How do you back that up with two swivel points?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

How do you back that up with two swivel points?

You really can't. Have you ever seen a semi tractor with two 20' "pups" at the terminal? They disconnect the rear pup and move it with the yard tractor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:53pm
Dang, didn't know this would get such a rise out of everyone!

Like they say in real estate....if you can't build out, build up!

.....or brother Ben does have an old flat bed sitting around at the farm. Imagine two 16' Correct Craft riding down the road on that! Here's a fancy application!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 2:53pm
True, pull through only, don't try to backup. I did experiment to see what happens and I was only able to back up about 10' with someone spotting me.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 3:04pm
Hollywood a local welding shop welded it up, I just collected all the pieces, made a few cuts with a industrial bandsaw, and brought it to them. I had them make a couple tabs for the safety chains.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic