NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First real outing since purchased

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First real outing since purchased
    Posted: October-28-2014 at 3:07pm
Yesterday was our first good outing since purchasing the 85 SN 2001. We were able to launch and run the local slalom course at the ski club. The boat did really well, and the wife adapted to a ski boat pretty good. Dropping after passing through the buoys still needs work. However, the perfect pass picked up the magnets and did great in the course.

We did get some great sunset pics:

The slalom course is back in the cove where the sun is setting. There was a newer Ski Nautique heading in to ski the course as we left.

Here is another view of the sunset:

Our outing, though

The outing was not without a couple of small issues that I will be searching here to try to answer.

One time when about to load, the boat did not start all the way, but the starter kept spinning freely. It did this until I started the boat again. We turned the boat off and on several times, so I guess I have an intermittent issue to learn about.

Also, I could not get a good read on the tranny fluid. I tried to take the level at the end of our outing, after running the course, etc. I could see fluid in there, and see it vibrating, but every time I pulled the dipstick, it seemed to have fluid well above the two lines. Maybe I should have checked it before running the course and all the turning, starting, and stopping?

Last thing to add, is I needed a new cover. After striking out with a Westland sharkskin ready to ship one for an 19 foot competition ski boat (it hit the window wrong and would not cover the rub rail on both sides at the window), I bought an Enduracover Custom Fit through iboats. It was actually made to order by a company called Carver Cover, who I called and talked with prior to ordering it. It came with two snaps already sewn into the bow and stern are for support poles, although the bow one seems unnecessary on the 85. It seems to fit pretty darn good. So if anyone wants to know how their custom fit cover looks on a 85 Ski Nautique, here goes:

The blue noodle in the back is because I don't want the ratchet to touch the gel coat. That would be the only fault I have found so far, is no flap to protect the gel coat back there if you do not hand tie the cover rope.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 3:23pm
Richard,
Nice pictures!

Regarding your starter, did it continue to run or didn't it engage in the flywheel. If the former, and when it does it again, check to see if you still have voltage going to it. A common cause is from the starter relay contacts welding themselves together. A low voltage will cause a high amp condition (Ohms law) welding them together. This can be caused by bad battery connections, bad cables or the use of a deep cycle rather than a starting battery. Check them out. It wouldn't hurt to get some voltage readings during cranking. Get the volts directly off the battery (not the cable connections) and then what the starter is seeing. A voltage drop more than a couple volts means you have a problem and you need to check the items I mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 3:40pm
The boat seems to need a little gas from the throttle to start. What happened that time is I did not give it any gas, and it turned over, sounded like it started, then died. Once it failed to start, I could hear what I assumed was the starter motor spinning freely, but not engaging any of the flywheel teeth.

I tried pulling the key, and hitting the ignition button on the dash, which sticks, so I did not really even hit it, then turned the key all the way to the right, starting the boat again with a pump of gas.

After it started, it ran correctly up to the point of putting it on the trailer, and it shut off correctly with no continuing starter noise.

I should have it in my driveway this weekend again, unfortunately, to winterize. I will check all the wires and take readings and see if I have a voltage drop.

I know it is a year or so old battery, but I did not install it and take a great look at the wires.

Thanks.

Richard

cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 1:51am
Great looking boat. Nice sunset pics!
Tonight we have our first freeze warning here in Denver.
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 4:12am
Looking Good!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 1:08pm
Nice pics. What lake are you on in Middle Tennessee?

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 3:12pm
What a good looking color scheme.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 3:25pm
Team Red
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 4:46pm
Music City Water Ski Club has their course on Percy Priest Reservoir.

Not the most popular lake around Middle Tennessee for skiers and boarders.

It is on a part of the lake you do not want to go to unless your with someone that knows the lake or have studied its depths, especially without trim. Not far from the course there is an under water rock wall that would really make for a bad day if your just skimming across the water upriver with know knowledge of the lake.

If I am not there, I am usually at Tim's Ford, which is a great, deep lake.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 9:59pm
Richard - I would pull the starter & have a shop test it. It shouldn't act as you described. It may have corrosion inside or a wornout bendix.

Edit - Mke sure & tell the shop it is marine reverse rotation. We have heard of stories about a shop losing a RH starter, then substituting a LH rotation one in return! You may even want to mark it somehow.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 10:38pm
Sweet looking set up.

Waldo
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 8:05am
I have used these guys many times for starters and alternators.

A & B Auto & Truck Repair
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 10:11am
Are there any issues with pulling the starter over the winter and re-installing this fall.

I am off to uncover the boat right now and pull the plugs. 32 degrees tonight. I will winterize later.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 10:29am
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

Are there any issues with pulling the starter over the winter and re-installing this fall.

I am off to uncover the boat right now and pull the plugs. 32 degrees tonight. I will winterize later.

Richard,
No problem pulling the starter now and then installing it in spring. You can even install it over winter. I did a damper plate in the boathouse when it was below zero. I did tarp the boat and had an electric heater under the tarp but, it takes forever for a big chunk of metal to heat up!!

Before you pull the starter and possibly spend unneeded money, have you gotten the VOM out as suggested to find the problem?

BTW, installing a new bendix, new brushes, cleaning up the commutator and greasing the bushings on the starter is a DIY project. If you really get into the starter, you can even Ohm out the winding's. Each pole on the armature is connected to opposing contacts on the commutator. Each Ohm reading on each pole should be close (within several Ohms) to the others.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 11:13am
You don't need to pull the plugs for one night's low of 32.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Agreed but what bothers me is no two weather stations give you the same overnight temps, weather channel show 27 and local news shows 35, WTH. I drove down to storage and drained even though I'm winterizing Sunday. Just couldn't sleep without doing it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 12:08pm
No problem. I don't drain for 27 either!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 12:11pm
Alan, If I could have a job I was wrong 90% of the time like meteorologists that would be impressive ha.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Agreed but what bothers me is no two weather stations give you the same overnight temps, weather channel show 27 and local news shows 35, WTH. I drove down to storage and drained even though I'm winterizing Sunday. Just couldn't sleep without doing it.

I've had temps well into the teens for a week or more without any issues at all. Put an old school trouble light with an incandescent bulb under the engine cover and it'll put out more than enough heat to prevent freezing.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 1:15pm
I have not taken the voltage measures yet. I was planning on doing that when winterizing, possibly this Sunday. I have been reading and collecting all my supplies -- high zinc oil, etc., and reading my manual. I took care of my IO Stingray last weekend to get it out of the way.

I plan to spend a lot more time with the Nautique as I winterize it. I am pulling the drivers seat and observers seat, and teak to keep in my garage. My winter projects are to replace the bottom skins with vinyl from Christines, and clean and oil the teak. Once I put the boat into the barn where my other boat goes, I will pretty much leave it alone till April. I can get to it, but it is a haul.

I did not know you to what temp you can push it, so I already pulled the plugs prior to going to work. So far the new carver cover (endurocover) is going great. It was nice and dry under it and it is repelling water nicely.    

These seat bottoms are my winter project:

Thanks for all the reply's!

Richard
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 1:19pm
Hah, I'm with Alan, mine is still on the lift, drained it Weds night just to be safe and sleep easy. Was snowing hard this AM, calling for lows in the 20's the next couple nights. Most likely putting mine away for the winter this weekend also.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 1:45pm
The light bulb works but my boat is 40 miles away in a cold storage shed so no a/c power.   I know I'm safe even if I didn't drain but it was worth the trip down for peace of mind. I figured something like a burst heater core would get me before a cracked block so I wanted to blow the heater line out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic