Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help w I.D.-vintage CC-twin engines-old

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Diver1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diver1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help w I.D.-vintage CC-twin engines-old
    Posted: October-26-2014 at 12:09am
Hi All,

I'm new to your forum and am doing research on a very big vintage CorrectCraft I found in 60 feet of water in Lake Winnipesaukee here in N.H. on side scan sonar.

I am a diver and wreck hunter and of the 70 wrecks I have found in Lake Winnipesaukee not one had twins-this one does.

I have a punctured eardrum I'm healing from and couldn't dive it this summer but my buddy did for me. He took a crude video which I will improve upon this Spring w/my GoPro when I dive it.

Can anyone tell me more about this cool old boat with twins? Without having dived it I speculate it's from the 1930's or so.

Crude video here:
http://youtu.be/N7yBwOj3wmM

The SECOND boat in the video is the CC-the first vessel is another wreck nearby.

Thank you all.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 12:36am
Hans,
CC did at one time build some large cruisers. The reference section here on CCfan has some pictures. There's not enough video to get a idea of what you found. Why do you feel it's a CC?

For the convenience of all, here's a proper link to your video

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Diver1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diver1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 1:01am
Because my buddy found a foot pad on the gunwhale that said Correct Craft.

I found a beautiful 25' Century Raven that I ID'd the same way.

Thanks! Much better video to follow in the Spring.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 1:08am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Why do you feel it's a CC?

Soft spots in the floor,finishing ax marks on stringer
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Why do you feel it's a CC?

Soft spots in the floor,finishing ax marks on stringer

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 1:25am
that is possibly the most confusing video I've ever seen... is Leonardo diCaprio gonna show up at some point? where's that fat naked chick?

seriously, can we have some pics on dry land?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 1:30am
I'm trying to ID the engines. They look very familiar. I may have to email the video to a friend.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 3:17am
Wow pretty cool I think it'll buff out
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 3:15pm
Diving creeps me out but this is really fascinating. Cool stuff, looking forward to more video!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 3:45pm
I've dove everywhere in FL including under FL in most caves. I hold nearly every recreational certification and several professional certifications. But wrecks creep me the hell out! I get the creeps even watching videos.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 5:59pm
Gray Marine, Scripps or Kermath.
Plumbing looks more Kermath to me.

Those 3 should give you a good starting point.

Good luck.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 7:52pm
how long would you guys say that boat is ? it is even more oddly porportioned than some of the gar woods of the 30s.. beam width?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 8:37pm
Interesting video. I'm surprised there are so many wrecks in Winnipesaukee. That first boat is really long and narrow. Let us know what you find out about the boat.

We boat on Sebago Lake and there's always been a story about 2 British Corsairs that crashed over the lake training during WWII. About 10 years ago a guy came to the lake to find and retrieve them. He found them and videoed them, but was unable to retrieve them as the State of Maine and British government protested. Here's a link to the video of one of the planes. Talk about spooky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yYNd6Msp9s
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Interesting video.   That first boat is really long and narrow. ]

I have a feeling the first boat is a kind of rowing shell due to it's beam, length and all the oar locks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:02am
Kermath engines are some serious hulks. There was a 1929 Dart 25' or so in a building up by our lake places. It had a massive Kermath marine engine it. It always fascinated me.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 12:48pm
Anxious to see more video. Doesn't look like there is much left of the actual hull or cabin - going to be difficult to ID. Hopefully you can do some careful examination of the Stringers (Framework inside the hull) and find an ID tag stamped with the hull number. Typically they are of the format X-### (an alpha character with a dash followed by a number). They are typically very small, 2"x 3" or smaller. Cool Stuff!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Kermath engines are some serious hulks.

Zack,
Kermath made a pretty broad range of engines including small 1,2 and 4 cylinders. Then of course there were the 6's and 8's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

find an ID tag stamped with the hull number. Typically they are of the format X-### (an alpha character with a dash followed by a number). They are typically very small, 2"x 3" or smaller. Cool Stuff!

Stave,
I believe the big cruisers were made in Titusville. I'm not sure what serial numbering system they used. Maybe someone will have an answer. Art? Dave?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 1:12pm
Pete, I believe the Dart was spinning a massive 6 cylinder.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 1:17pm
Looked a lot like this Pete.

Kermath

Such Cool Lettering and valve cover
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 4:34pm
From Ted Cartner who is the best antique/classic engine rebuilder I know of, the engines are Gray Marines. The T stat housing and the generator housing is the key. He's going to study the picture some more to see if he can ID the series. I knew they looked familiar!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Diver1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diver1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:03pm
Hi All,
I knew you folks could help thanks. I love old boats as well as a good mystery. I also decided to call CC in Florida today and I spoke with a man who knew immediately who I should call, one Art Cozier.

Here is a summary of what Art and I talked about:

Very few twins were made. Original business started was in Ossipee, NH (about 10 miles east of Wolfboro, NH and Lake Winnipesaukee, where I found this boat).

One of 3 possible models:

Fish Nautique
- 23 feet
- Very few Fish twins-less than 5 of these models total were ever made

San Juan
- 24 feet
- 3 versions of the San Juan: Cuddy, Flybridge (might have a cuddy too)
and straight open cockpit
- Deep V, tubby kind of boat

Sea Nautique
- 27 feet
- Very few Sea twins-less than 12 of these models total ever made

My boat is probably a San Juan; Early 1960’s-1976; Powered with 302’s.

One San Juan model in the 1950's was all wood.

All 3 Models had wooden stringers; Later they were ‘glass and wood.

More to come. Thanks again everyone. I can't wait to dive this thing and get clear piks and video in the Spring.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:08pm
I am far from an expert on boats but she looks a bit older than 1960's. Cool video tho.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:15pm
We all agree Alan did some amazing work on the Hurricane. Maybe he's ready for a new challenge ? Some cpes and a lick of paint and she be ready to go.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:18pm
Hans,
The twin engine boat you found is wood. The 3 boat ideas Art mentioned are fiberglass. Plus, The Gray marine engines I (Ted) ID'd are 6 cylinder flat heads. The 302's Art mentioned are overhead valve V8's. The exception would be the 1 San Juan that was wood but, I feel the boat is older than the 60's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I am far from an expert on boats but she looks a bit older than 1960's. Cool video tho.

Your are correct. I feel Art is off base on this one or he was given bad information.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:49pm
The Sea, Fish and San Juan were the last on my mind when I saw the video. Did Art see the video? I though it was strange Art said the 3 models were all wood stringers.... Surely the Sea and Fish and almost all SJ's were glass over wood.

What did the open cock pit SJ look like?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:56pm
40's or 50's. Highly doubtful 60's. Art probably didn't know they were flat heads.

I hope your ear heals well. Post back and let us know of your progress.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 11:19pm
I also think that by the time Art was active at the factory, the wood boats were a memory,of course with the exception of the Paragon
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I also think that by the time Art was active at the factory, the wood boats were a memory

With the exception of Mr. Ralph, I don't believe anyone at the factory goes back to the wood boat era.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic