NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 Ski Nautique
    Posted: October-22-2014 at 1:11am
Hi Everyone. Last year, I inherited (from my best friend) his 76 Ski Nautique with a 351 purring. I just finished a major, down-to-the-metal renovation of the trailer, adding step plates for and aft of the axle, and rewiring. One question would be, does ANYONE have any idea where I might find a Ski Nautique decal, about 3-4" tall? Of a more important question, does anyone know where I might find parts for the boat, like the aft light pole base (which is 4 1/2" long)? Thanks a million for anyone's input and guidance.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 1:45am
good evening Tony..

great luck on your part..but I hope your friend just decided to quit using the boat..

lots of info on here..but we have a saying..'pics or it didn't happen' so get some pics of this 'inheritance' up here for us to enjoy.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 1:48am
Welcome Tony,

If you are looking for 3-4 inch decal, I assume it is for the transom. If you go into the reference section of this site, there is a miscellaneous section that has several graphics including the 70s transom one. A graphics shop should be able to work with that. It might also be worth checking with Zach at N3 boatworks (google them, they are in Indianapolis, or Zach might see this. N3s web site also shows the stern light socket that I think you need. Mechanical parts can be had from N3, skidim or mycorrectcraftparts (a site member) Good luck with it. We love pictures around here.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 7:45am
The 3-4" Ski Nautique decal would not be original so I'd half to ask what font you're looking for? There's a few 80's script Ski Nautique decals out there in about that size, lil smaller. Good luck on finding a stern light base, I've been trying to land one for a while. If you still have the base and just bad socket, you can cut the socket off and dream up reattaching the newer Atwood socket.
Welcome! And what marinization do you have?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 9:51am
Tony,
Welcome to CCfan. Yes, we'd love to see some pictures. Spend some time on the site, do some searching and you will find tons of information. Utilize a google search since it works better than the sites search. When you get a chance, submit a diary entry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 9:56am
Maybe the decal is for the freshly refinished trailer, in which case originality isn't such a concern.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 10:01am
Originality isn't a concern, ha, what does Pete say? Nah I agree I HW. Somebody has the original Correct Craft metallic-like sticker that goes on the tongue of the trailer for that era. I forget who but I've seen it a dozen times for sale.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 10:13am
MartyMabe.

I'm assuming he wants something identifiable on the trailer, period correct. Shouldn't be too hard. Do check the miscellaneous section on our Reference page.

If I'm right though I believe the trailer frame is exactly 3" tall. I'm sure TRB knows for sure.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 10:13am
Check with MartyMabe.... he is the Trailer decal guy.... PM him on the site....
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 10:20am
Trailer channel is 4" as I just measured mine out of curiosity
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 11:18am
Maybe he wants a decal for the bumper of his truck.

+1 on the pics. Or at least tell us what color it is.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 11:26am
Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to respond, I appreciate everyone's input. The decal is for the forward aspect/tongue of the trailer, and yes, it is 4". The font does not have to precisely match that of the 76, as I think the font changed little in the late 70s? into early 80s? I will get some pics up later, as I would like to share.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 11:33am
You can shut up now Adam.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 12:02pm
Try one of these guys

Marty

Pauly

Greg

86 BFN
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 3:51am
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 8:50am
Nice! Welcome aboard!
Js
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 10:35am
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 10:36am
A couple shots of my almost completed trailer renovation. OOOPS! Just noticed that the tongue shot is sideways. Sorry.
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 10:40am
Well, I just went back to see what happened, but I do not see any options where I can rotate pics. Do ALL pics uploaded here get automatically oriented landscape-wise?
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 10:49am
Sliding the almost finished trailer under the boat a few weeks ago.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 11:51am
Tony,
I'm curious about the intermittent bunks on the trailer?

FYI, if the trailer is set in the water at the proper depth (Approximately - water just below the top of the fenders) side guides are not needed. The boat will center itself in the wishbone.

Any thoughts on a winch?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 5:26pm
This pic did not seem do upload the last time. This is the 2-hour process of getting the trailer back under the boat.
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 5:27pm
Anyone out there know the type of spark plug cables for the 351 ??? Today, I replaced all the plugs, and about half of the connectors came off the cable.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tony,
I'm curious about the intermittent bunks on the trailer?

FYI, if the trailer is set in the water at the proper depth (Approximately - water just below the top of the fenders) side guides are not needed. The boat will center itself in the wishbone.

Any thoughts on a winch?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2014 at 5:34pm
The winch my dad put on my trailer bent as it was not rated high enough. I replaced it with a heavier one, and made a small dot on the boat above the bow eye to know where to winch it to. I found that after the boat comes out of the water, there would be a gap between the wedge of the trailer and the hull. I have to winch it up a little extra to that dot and then its snug once out of the water.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 1:30am
Never did need a winch, just drove the boat up to the bow roller, and with a little throttle while being pulled out, she set nicely. The gunnel guides assist for several reasons. I never did find that the boat centered exactly, and always heaved and tugged on the back to get the ass end of the boat centered. Also, the gunnel guides are awesome when trying to land the boat with a strong side wind. The also help keep the hull from hitting the fender wells (which as you might notice in the pic, still need to be installed). With the gunnel guides, I can practically trailer the boat blind folded. You should try it some time! And a curiosity about the "intermittent bunks" . . . there's no reason for a bunk to run the entire length. Just more places for water to get trapped and potentially rust the steel. Saved on weight and material.
tonyosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 1:31am
Anyone have any ideas as to how much it would cost to overhaul the 351? Probably do a lot of the labor myself, except for all the honing and stuff. Anyone put in different cams, crack, valves or pistons for better performance?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 9:41am
Tony,
I'm glad the side guides work for you but I suspect you are putting the trailer in the water too deep.

Do a search and you will find plenty on 302/351 rebuilding.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2014 at 10:40am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tony,
I'm glad the side guides work for you but I suspect you are putting the trailer in the water g.

+1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic