Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rudder adjustment possible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rudder adjustment possible?
    Posted: October-21-2014 at 11:51pm
Now that I can finally drive my 1988 Barefoot, I noticed it steers fine to port, but not far enough to starboard. Looking at the rudder, it does go way over to the left, but about half as much to the right. My 90 SN has equal left to right turning.
I tried moving the steering cable housing more forward in the clamp. This worked, but created another problem, the cable comes out of the housing so far, it hangs up going back in. The larger diameter part of the cable end gets jammed. The smaller diameter part sticks out about 1 inch when the left/right steering is equal.
Nothing is bent or hard to turn. I just can't see how else to adjust it.
Is this a Barefoot thing? The cable 82-90 is the 17 1/2 foot $300 one, but this doesn't seem to be the problem anyway.
I did notch the support aluminum brace for the removeable floor piece (just aft of the motor box) so the cable could get a better angle at full port turn, and leave the cable about 1/4 inch forward in it's mount, so it's a little more equal, and doesn't jam.
Is there anything else I can do?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 11:02am
To adjust the throw you need to loosen the 4 clamp block bolts and slide the steering support tube in the direction you wish to attain more rudder movement.

Someone possibly used a shorter throw steering support tube?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 11:16am
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it's the original cable and support tube, but I'll measure the one on my 90 SN for comparison asap.
Glad to know moving the tube in the clamp is how it's suppose to work.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 11:23am
The boat will always naturally turn better in one direction than another because of the trail of the prop being it a RH or LH rotation.
Im going to have to agree you may have the wrong cable in there. If i recall i read somewhere that CC uses a CC specific throw cable(please correct me if im wrong) i think it has a couple extra inches over standard supplied cables. Thats why the women like the nautiques better.
It doeant make sense to remove it iust to measure it if the cable and helm are performing good.
Usually the part number is stamped into the hard plastic coating before to ends of the cable
Might be worth referencing and cross checking to see iwhat you have in there.

OR Maybe the cable was removed from the helm and not put back in correctly which may limit in one direction and allow overthrow in another.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 12:10pm
Zach nailed it... The only way that the symptoms you're describing can happen is if a specialty CC (82-90 long throw) cable is used with a "standard" clamp tube. The cc cable requires a longer clamp tube, about 2" difference IIRC. I posted a picture in our BFN rebuild thread as we put a long throw cable in our 79 and then discovered we needed a special clamp tube. We found one from Don in FL, they aren't available through normal channels AFAIK. No one I spoke to knew what the heck I was talking about!

I'm betting a previous owner changed the cable and forgot to save the old clamp tube- then bought a new standard tube to replace it. Probably had to limit cable travel (by setting unequal travel and allowing the tiller arm to hit the transom before the cable popped out of the tube) to make the boat functional!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 12:28pm
If you cannot find one I'd bet you could make one,it is after all a pipe thread on the end correct? If it is it must be pipe not tube. A place like on line metals would have it,you'd just have to thread it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 1:25pm
I would think you could sister on an extension opposite the threaded side if really needed.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 1:33pm
It looks like aluminum or stainless pipe - confirm the material.

Mcmaster aluminum pipe nipples threaded both ends

stainless pipe nipples
From the picture, it looks like 1/2" which will be about 7/8" O.D.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 5:11pm
Wow, you guys really know your CCs! That's exactly what it was, long throw cable with short throw support tube. The PO must have had the cable replaced with the wrong support tube. No wonder it still worked so well, my 87 SN cable was stiff as a board when I replaced it as few years ago. Thanks for the heads up.
So I made a 2 inch "sister" connection with aluminum tubing, water hose and hose clamps I had. You can see the mark on the support tube where I moved it 2 inches forward for equal rudder throw. Works great.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 5:20pm
I would get that fixed the right way pronto. Likelihood of that joint failing is low but if it does, and the cable falls out the end, then you're essentially stuck at full lock. That would be a serious safety concern, depending on the conditions under which it fails!

FYI, the clamp tube does not generally get replaced with the cable... You must remember to remove it from your old one and install it on the new one. I'm betting the PO forgot to save it and had to buy a new (too short) replacement after the fact. Just a guess.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

So I made a 2 inch "sister" connection with aluminum tubing, water hose and hose clamps I had.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would get that fixed the right way pronto. Likelihood of that joint failing is low but if it does, and the cable falls out the end, then you're essentially stuck at full lock. That would be a serious safety concern, depending on the conditions under which it fails!

NG,
I too suggest getting a proper fix. I agree with Tim that even though chances of failure are low, the consequences could be serious.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 10:52pm
Just had it out on the water, and it turns both ways better. The Barefoot has a poor stock set up IMHO due to the restriction in movement of the swiveling clamp caused by the floor support aluminum brace. It keeps the cable from moving where it needs to go as the angle changes when the rudder arm moves forward. Look at the angle of the support tube in my photo. It was unable to do that without the notch I made in the brace. This keeps it from jamming sideways and making it harder to turn full starboard. I can feel the difference.
Yes, a proper length support tube will be the next fix, I just wanted to get it out in the water and see if it made any difference in handling, before it gets too cold and rainy. I'm happy with the improvement.
Oh, and I checked the top speed with my Iphone speed box, 46 mostly, 49 in a glassy section. Seems about average for a 454 from what I've read.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 11:39pm
Tim is just very against modifying the factory steering equipment.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Tim is just very against modifying the factory steering equipment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 1:33am

The larger diameter part gets jammed.
spit on it
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 10:56pm
So I am having similar problems on a 75 SN, the rudder deflects about 40 degrees one way and 20ish degrees the other. If the clamp tube was a bit longer, I think I could even out the throw. The problem is I think the cable would then smack the transom. Any ideas?
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

So I am having similar problems on a 75 SN, the rudder deflects about 40 degrees one way and 20ish degrees the other. If the clamp tube was a bit longer, I think I could even out the throw. The problem is I think the cable would then smack the transom. Any ideas?

Tom,
Can you post a picture of the clamp tube and it's mounting. Is there any evidence that the tube mount position has been changed?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So I made a 2 inch "sister" connection with aluminum tubing, water hose and hose clamps I had.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

NG,
I too suggest getting a proper fix. I agree with Tim that even though chances of failure are low, the consequences could be serious.

NG,
Did you do a proper fix yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 12:17am

Tom,
Can you post a picture of the clamp tube and it's mounting. Is there any evidence that the tube mount position has been changed?

Hey Pete,
I know the cable was replaced recently. The clamp appears to be in the original spot. I can post photo tomorrow. It looks like I need to replace the clamp, because the clamp bracket is broken. I guess I need to make sure they put in the right cable!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 11:05am
The 75 should have a standard length cable and tube. Fix what's broken and do some adjusting.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 10:44pm
OK Guys, Here are some pics:
The tube:
Does this look like the right tube? The cable is teleflex 41331. is that correct??

The cable holder:
It defiantly needs to be replaced. After a cleanup, it looks like there was a reinforcement done to the attach point (probably due to forcing a worn out cable)

Wiring going to the stern:
Yellow is to stern light, red is to gas tank, is the green (which is taped off attached to nothing) to my non existent blower?

Thanks Guys
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 10:34am
Tom,
Since the clamp block was broken at one time, it comes to mind that maybe the boat took an underwater hit. Take a look at the tiller arm for any signs of bending. If bent, that would explain why the arm would hit the transom and the reason the cable tube is adjusted all the way aft in the clamp block. Also make sure the tiller arm isn't upside down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 11:21am
He never said the cable hits the transom. That's actually the direction it needs to go, but he just thinks it may end up hitting by the time it the steering gets evened out. The more the tube goes back the more it will limit steering in the other direction, so it's really a "give and take" situation where you really only need to go half as much as you think you need to. Moving the block back will accomplish this. With that "repair" it's possible the block got moved back. It wouldn't take much to screw it up. Most boats of that vintage seem to have the tube really hanging out the back already anyway.

And besides, even if the tiller arm was bent or upside down if it was hitting the transom already it's clearly not going to get adjusted back any further!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 12:05pm
As far as actual length of the steering tube, I don't know. Call Zach? I don't recall any hard measurements posted other than there is a long one and a short one...

Follow the other end of the green wire to see where it goes. It could be another ground. Brian Mullins has a green ground jumper wire from the stern light socket to his (plastic) fuel sending unit. Perhaps back in the day they ran it all the way back to ground instead of daisy chaining like they sure liked to do in the 80s and 90s!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 12:28pm
This is the setup Hollywood is talking about on mine:

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 4:15pm
Ahhh. That makes sense now because there was a green and black wire loose back there. Funny thing is the fuel gauge works.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 4:21pm

Tom,
Since the clamp block was broken at one time, it comes to mind that maybe the boat took an underwater hit. Take a look at the tiller arm for any signs of bending. If bent, that would explain why the arm would hit the transom and the reason the cable tube is adjusted all the way aft in the clamp block. Also make sure the tiller arm isn't upside down.

Ding Ding Ding! Winner. I thought it was supposed to have a bend! I heated it up, and tapped and pried it back into shape and its a pretty even throw. I am just guessing it was a 7 to 9 degree bend, and I bent it back to original plus 3 (just to make sure I had the throw, and it is all good. You could make a Budweiser "Real Men of Genius" commercial from this forum.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 5:05pm

Ahhh. That makes sense now because there was a green and black wire loose back there. Funny thing is the fuel gauge works.

Tom,
In order for the gauge to work, it has to be grounded. You need to do more investigating on the ground wiring! Don't forget the fuel fill needs to be grounded as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 6:40pm
I'm wondering if it's a metal fuel tank, and the tank itself is grounded somewhere else?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2014 at 6:57pm

Wiring going to the stern:
Yellow is to stern light, red is to gas tank, is the green (which is taped off attached to nothing) to my non existent blower?

Thanks Guys
Tom

Are you sure yellow is stern light? That should be the blower. Red is fuel sender. Black should be ground. I vaguely remember the stern light wiring going under the gunnels, not through bilge, because it is all pre-wired to the deck upside down before attaching to the hull.

Bent tiller arm? Wow, must have been some wreck! That doesn't seem plausible to me but it's been 40 years...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic