Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'83 Nautique questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '83 Nautique questions
    Posted: October-11-2014 at 1:35pm
Hello everyone,

So i went and looked at another 2001 the other day.
First time I have managed to get one on the water as the regulations have changed recently and anyone selling hasn't made the applicable changes.

Anyway, few small questions,

Under the hull, just behind the stabilizer fins, I noticed a threaded 'hole' I'd guess about an inch in diameter, what would that be, I didnt climb under completely to see. Where is the water intake located?

I also noticed it only had 2 stabilizers, did they all come with 3?

Boat vibrated a lot, but prop looked pretty shot pretty banged up (rudder and fins were fine bar the one I think is missing) so I guess that could account for it?

What temp should it run at in normal conditions? (this was sitting roughly half way on the original gauge, I don't recall exact numbers.

When we first started the boat it wasn't engaging fwd, sorted that out, but after trying to get going for a fair amount of time and eventually having to reverse to the dock a buzzing alarm started going off, what could this be, should I be alarmed. After starting up the engine again the buzzer never sounded again.

The temp gauge was sitting quite high after we were buggering around sorting the shifting issue, after a short distance on the water the temp dropped quite quickly to the midpoint of the gauge, should it not always run cool?

Besides that the water was terribly choppy and wind howling, small bit of water but boat climbed out fast when i accelerated i took it to just below 40 and seemed to still have a fair mount more to go. I did ask what they had managed to run to and they said just over 40 which seems good. (motor has just been redone as well)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 1:49pm
That's the bung hole, it's supposed to be there.

If the boat really is an 82-89 "2001" it should have 3 tracking fins. An older Ski Nautique would have only 2.

Temp should run right at 160. Overheating will set off the buzzer alarm.

There should be no vibration at all.

Low 40s is as expected.
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 2:05pm
yeah according to the serial number its an '83

CTC4151151183SN

Is what it seems to be

Still has original graphics with 2001 on the side
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 10:46pm
The "Bung Hole" is the drain plug. It threads in from the inside under the motor cover. From outside of the boat the water intake is forward and port of the strut or from the inside just aft and port of the transmission. The Vibration may be a cheap fix with a new/rebuit prop, or maybe very expensive, If you can't try it with a different prop price it to need at a new prop and shaft, and maybe a transmission rebuild. search and read here about stringers. That boat is at the age where they are as likely to be bad as they are likely to be good.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2014 at 1:21pm
Thanks I will look into all of that
I always have stringers in mind when looking at these, this one has a bit of softness around drivers seat etc

Just need to add up the necessary expenses to get it on the water.

Trying very hard to ignore how sexy that thing sounds on the water and not dive right in in haste.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 5:40pm
The overheating sounds like a thermostat not opening properly, temp spikes but when it finally opens holds steady, but would also have to check the raw water pump impeller and general flow to be sure, running on a trailer makes it easier to see what's going on. Also when you look at it on the trailer you can rotate the prop by hand, see if the shaft is true, cutlass bearing, etc.

By the way welcome to CCF, glad to see the global reach of the site continuing to expand!

How did you "sort out" the not shifting into forward problem?

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2014 at 1:14pm
thanks,

i gave the prop a turn and no alarm bells rang seemed smooth and true (i think)
I have decided to let it sit for a while and see what happens, they dont sell quickly here in South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic