NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crappy day on the lake yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crappy day on the lake yesterday
    Posted: October-06-2014 at 5:51pm
Started the day off by launching the boat and tying it to the dock while I parked the rig. Drove past the no wake zone signs and begain putting away my fenders and lines.

I noticed some water on the floor near the inspection cover. I thought to myself, "none of the lines were wet where's this water coming from?" Then it dawned on me........Oh SH!T....the drain plug......I for got to put it in.

Lifted the cover and the bilge was almost full. I switched on the bilge and headed towards the shore. Took me several attempts the get the drain plug in, but I finally managed as the water was covering the deck.

The bilge pump finally drained the bilge and we were on our way to get some wakeboarding runs in.

I wasn't in the water 2 minutes when I made my first jump across the wake. Wiped out pretty good and felt some weirdness in my knee. Brushed it off and boarded for about another 15-20 minutes.

By the time I got home 7 hours later, my knee was pretty sore. This morning it was even more sore.

2 doctor visits later (PCP and Orthopedist) I'm in a knee brace for 6 weeks due to a stretched and slightly torn MCL. No more boarding until the spring for me.

Could have been a lot worse with both the boat and my knee. I never thought I'd leave the drain plug, but alas I did and feel pretty stupid about it as well.

I'll try to post the wipeout video in a bit.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 5:59pm
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

Happened to us in the SJRR, we were on Curtis's BFN, and suddenly the floor was wet! the plug made its way out somehow!

Take care of that knee!
the older you get the harder to heal this thing become!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 6:03pm
Here's the vid. I need to work on my landings.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 6:27pm
Its like they say there’s three types of boaters out there, those that have forgotten the plug, those that will forget the plug someday, and liars.   Good luck with the knee!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I noticed some water on the floor near the inspection cover. I thought to myself, "none of the lines were wet where's this water coming from?" Then it dawned on me........Oh SH!T....the drain plug......I for got to put it in.

Most of us have done that - forgotten the plug .... Glad she stayed afloat and your knee isn't too buggered.... Heal well, and be careful - ligaments don't always heal like new....
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Its like they say there’s three types of boaters out there, those that have forgotten the plug, those that will forget the plug someday, and liars.   Good luck with the knee!

That's a FACT. I am in the first group.
Js
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 10:17pm
Looks like left knee, correct? Seemed to really get crunched. Glad to hear it's the MCL, they do heal, but sorry your season ended like that.

Can't believe you left the plug out, I haven't done that since .... a week ago Sunday. Not the Sport, it was the jet boat, where the plug goes in from the outside of the jet housing. Realized just as I was launching so no amount of water, but caught me by surprise because I'm pretty good about a last minute mental punch list. I've done it a bunch of times over the years, and somehow doubt I will forget any less with age ......
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Looks like left knee, correct? Seemed to really get crunched. Glad to hear it's the MCL, they do heal, but sorry your season ended like that.

Right knee actually. Watch for the twist during the crash. Feels much better already. I have a leg brace for the next 6 weeks apparently. Just finished icing down the knee again. Figure I'll do it every evening for the next few weeks. 800mg Ibuprofin daily is what the doc recommends.

I think I need to make a velcro sign that says "Drain Plug" and attach it to my steering wheel so I never forget again.

Every time I saw a thread or post about leaving one out I thought, "Not me, I'll never forget". When I was trying to put the plug in as the water was rushing in, I was like, "great.......now I'm THAT guy". lol

Glad to be part of the Forgot To Install The Drain Plug Club.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 10:51pm
JPASS, sorry to hear about the knee!
I have the boat key and plug in the same storage box (the plug is tied to the key)
That way, before I crank the engine, I'll see the plug (and hopefully react)
1994 Sport Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 11:12pm
Leaving the plug out is just a right of passage, don't feel bad at all. With your new found paranoia about it wont likely happen again for a long while. The knee is a bummer though. Hoping you heal quickly. Don't let the ibuprofen fool you, go easy for awhile.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 11:13pm
Guess how fast a boat fills with water when you forget to hook up the trans cooler hose after winterization, start the engine, forget the plug, and park the truck.

I can answer that for you.

Guess how I know.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 11:31pm
I haven't forgotten to put the drain plug in yet...

But, I have left the plug in, forgotten to switch on the auto bilge and set up the support pole for my cover too low. Which gives pretty much the same result after some heavy rains

Sounds like the knee isn't too bad then, good luck! BTW, how fast where you going in that vid? That looks like you were moving pretty quick for boarding.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

BTW, how fast where you going in that vid? That looks like you were moving pretty quick for boarding.

We board at 18 mph. I picked up some speed when I edged in. I've crashed many times at similar speeds with no issues. It was the bounce and twisting of my torso that did the knee in this time. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 1:26am
I haven't forgotten the drain plug yet either but you'd be surprised how much water comes in when you leave a block drain open. Luckily I looked back and saw water running on the floor,but then you quickly have to find out where it's coming from and block drain wasn't the first place I looked
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 1:50am
I put the plug in ...t handle threaded...I thought just snug would do it since I didn't want to need a wrench to get itout...brand new engine to break in...get out a couple miles stop hear something open doghouse and a small geyser is filling the boat up...plug is gone somewhere inbilge...slight panic ...where can I beach ? Get ahold of yourself stuff mcdonalds paper bag in hole ...fish around bilge til Aha...I found it
    alls well that ends well.

Take care of the knee
This is the life
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 4:05am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

member of the 1st group as well...

take care of the knee..like Kap sez..harder to heal as we get older.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 9:59am
You get a pass on the plug deal, it happens.

The knee sucks though, I've avoided knee injury for 50 years and over the last 2 seasons I've torn the MCL on both knees. Right knee last year and left knee this year. Luckily both were a level 2 tear which means yes it's torn/stretched (technician called them micro tears)but it will heal on it's own. I wear compression sleeves all the time when I'm on the boat now, get a good one they feel great and help prevent that painful twist.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 1:40pm
Yep... nothing gets the heart pumping like opening the cover to a mini geyser. Happened to me when I was 15.. the first thaught was to beach like others have stated till I came to senses and found plug and jammed it in it flipped on bilge.

For the past 24 years... I get that flashback almost everytime I launch... lesson learned! Keys and plug in the cup holder together!

I feel even though my kids are all still under 10... I should just launch them in a junker with the plug out just to get it over with!

Hope the knee heals!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I wear compression sleeves all the time when I'm on the boat now, get a good one they feel great and help prevent that painful twist.

I was thinking along the same lines. I wear a compression sleeve for my elbow from time time when it acts up. I was looking into a knee brace I could wear when boarding in the future. I'll see what the orthopedist recommends when I see him next.

2nd day in and the knee feels a lot better. The brace helps, but it's night and day compared to Monday morning.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 3:14pm
I used to forget the plug an ok amount when I was younger. Luckily one of my habits was to turn on the automatic bilge when I turned on the ignition breaker.

I would hear it bilge as soon as I put it in the water and thing oh SH******. Stuff the plug into the hole and go about my day.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 3:24pm
I've worn a variety of knee braces over the past 15 years. What works for me right now is a heavy neoprene with 2 straps, one above and one below the knee, hole at the knee, and no metal in it. There's a bunch of brands, go to a d*ck's Sporting Goods and take a look. I find the ones without straps just don't provide enough support. They have similar models with a metal hinge that gives a bit more lateral stability.

This year I didn't wear them to ski, and was OK.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 3:52pm
They've got me in this presently:

Think I may use this while on the water after I heal:

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 4:10pm
That Mueller brace is exactly what I use, just different brand. It looks so similar that I think it's the same brace re-labeled.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 5:30pm
Nice slow-mo on the video. I have to admit to being in the first group, but I did it on an outboard some years ago. I had to dive into the water head-first while a friend held onto my legs while I reached down to that spot WAY down there where the drain was on the Glastron. Currently my son and I have a system. I say to him multiple times on the way to the lake, "Did we put the drain plug in?" and he says to me multiple times, "We better make sure." It's easier to do on an inboard. Out-of-sight, out-of mind.

Hope the knee continues to heal (see my post about groin strain / pull - I'm into week 3 and still not able to do much besides walk on it, although it is feeling better).
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 12:25am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

left knee needs replaced per the dr..got one of those 'mini-tears' in the right one 2 years ago at Thanksgiving time.....wear one of these on each knee everytime I get in the water. love 'em.

add in the neck brace..extra shorts under the BF suit..nose tape and it is no wonder Eddie gets bored waiting for me to get ready!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 1:44am
I forgot drain plug once about 15 years ago, my buddy of 25 years still reminds me today about every other time I run into him "we almost sunk" in lake hamilton with plenty of gators and moccassins close by.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 10:25am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Nice slow-mo on the video.

I thought it would make the crash easier to see. Very helpful when I went to the Drs.

We usually run a GoPro off the transom when we ride. GoPro software is easy to use to zoom and slow down video.

forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 10:43pm
I havent encountered that problem yet... I dont ever remove my plug except for when I winterize. I then bag my keys all core plugs and drain with a punch list of what needs done before firing in the spring. I have two pumps that combined advertise 1200 gph. Most times after an allday outing i have no more than a quart or two of water in the bilge. After bring the boat in I open the dog house and set up the charger and a box fan to dry things out. If I may ask why are yall removing the plug every trip. And am I missing an important reason to remove it??

Vic...
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 10:46pm
And to add even with my carfully positioned pumps they will consistantly leave a half gallon or two in the bilge. But a couple days in the hot garage it evaporates.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 10:55pm
But Wouldn't it just be easier to pull the plug than set up a fan? Also, do you have some problems that require putting on the charger every time you use it?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic