Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lifting a 93 SN off the ground

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lifting a 93 SN off the ground
    Posted: October-05-2014 at 11:57am
I found a nautique that floated off it's trailer and is sitting on it's side, held up by the trailer tire. It doesn't appear any of the running gear has been damaged, but to move it, will put that in jeopardy. Any ideas how to save it?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 12:33pm
A photo would help, but from the description it sounds like you need something that can attach to the lifting eyes and pull it straight up. Might be a good job for a crane or perhaps a tow truck could do it. Is it still attached to the trailer at all?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 12:41pm
If it's on it's side, use the rings like Kevin mentioned and possibly strap and wrap hull from pylon to prevent twisting until it's clear of all obstacles.
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 12:59pm
I'll work on getting some photos. I have a front end loader that I can lift it with, but the bucket is only 8 feet wide. I was worried about the bucket being far too narrow and pulling the eyes toward each other, rather than up. Actually, that is my main concern, even if I get a couple tow trucks to lift it. I'm going to block under the high side and the bow. The bow eye (that attaches to the trailer) is still attached to the trailer. I'll document the process.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 2:30pm
Make a spreader bar out of an I beam or perhaps the person with the tow truck or crane has one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 7:30pm
Can you just lift the stern? I would think that the bow will take care of itself, esp if tied down.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 5:35pm
It is going to want to twist (on to the running gear) when you initially lift it, I like the idea of a stack of tires under the opposite side that it is leaning on, right up close to the running gear. This way when you start to lift, it will hopefully roll onto the tires (and not onto the running gear). You only need this until the boat rights itself. I also am not sure if tires will actually work, you may need some actual boat jacks. As Chris said, you really only need to lift the stern, as it will pivot on the V of the bow. Lift the stern, set on two stands (or a cradle or piles of tires), then re-position and lift the bow, set on stand or trailer, etc.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Make a spreader bar out of an I beam or perhaps the person with the tow truck or crane has one.

I agree with Gary, that's what I'd do, lets you pick the boat completely clear so you can re-position the trailer if needed, or put the boat on blocks.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:27am
I don't know how to add pictures. Any help?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:34am
I'm not much use on this because I know more about the female brain than I do computers but one way to do it is save image to your desktop. Then go to the "post reply" section (not quick reply) and you'll see an image of a globe with an a arrow on it, click it then type in file name and vola. Images can't be large or it'll boot it out. There's many other ways to do it but this is the easiest to me and the only way I know.

Edit- image of tree, not globe.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 9:29am
How to post pics:

Begin by clicking the Upload Image box:

Click the BROWSE button in the pop up window to find the file on your computer:

Once the file is attahced it will display the file name next to the BROWSE button. Then click OK:

You will then get a pop up window telling you to be patient while the photo is being uploaded. Click OK:

You will now see the window in the second pic above. If you want to post more pics, repeat steps 2-4.

If you're done, click CANCEL.

Hope this helps.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 1:23pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 1:31pm
so you just found a boat in the woods?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 1:43pm
Shelby, is that you?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Sometimes you just can't sell a purple boat so you end up just walking away
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Sometimes you just can't sell a purple boat so you end up just walking away

ROFL!!! Only in Alabama. I gotta tell ya though, I absolutely love it.

Can't wait to see this one returned to glory, it has a great beginning!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:49pm
uuuh and there's no explanation how you accomplished the task??? Throw us a bone here Bama...
Was this thing in a flood or hurricane?
"You know a boat that floats off of it's trailer can be heard in the woods" LMAO..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:52pm
Dave - it looks like (in picture 5) they used the lever method...
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 3:13pm
Not exactly "just found" it. The guy is selling the property that it's on. The property has been for sale for a few years. A year or so ago a friend was looking at the land and told me about the boat, sitting, wasting away. I tried then to buy the boat but keeping in contact with the owner was difficult. Also at that time, the boat was still on the trailer. We had a major flood in July, and it washed the boat off the trailer, luckily causing no visible damage. I went by last month, looking into buying a lot and saw her sitting on the ground. It broke my heart. I have no need or desire for a project but I couldn't leave it there to die. I dug out around the gear, jacked it up, cribbed it in,jacked it up, cribbed it in again. The post was slid underneath the bow to incrementally turn it away from the pine tree that had it jailed. Blocked that up, pulled the trailer out, then back under it, unblocking and reblocking along the way
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 4:27pm
....and then after lunch....
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

....and then after lunch....

Quick wipe down, launch, and got a few slalom sets in.

Pat, nice work getting it up and out without more damage! I'm hoping you get a pleasant surprise that the drivetrain and wiring are all unharmed, and you are just faced with a big cleanup and interior work.
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 5:41pm
Well, about that.....
I've got the best interior guy I've met that did my 98. The engine however, is an issue. The guy told me the block is cracked. Don't know exactly what that means yet. Excited to find out😝
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 5:57pm
That would be the first ever cracked block in Alabama?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 6:01pm
Nah. I read somewhere there are more cracked blocks in the south because of the lack of preparedness and neglect.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 6:03pm
Interesting, didn't think Alabama ever got cold enough. And, no other signs of neglect on that boat, are there????????
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 6:17pm

Nah. I read somewhere there are more cracked blocks in the south because of the lack of preparedness and neglect.

Wouldn't surprise me. I see at least a half dozen cracked something every spring at the ramp in our neighborhood. (It's not a busy ramp). People just don't think it gets cold enough I guess. My dad still thinks i'm nuts for doing it every year.

aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 7:50pm
Yeah, it's funny in a very unfunny way, but I winterize my boat about 6 times a winter. It get's down into the 20's for a couple days, then warms back up to the 60's so I plug everything back up and go ski. It also leads to a large number of near sinkings from missing a connection or forgotten fitting.
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by aupatking aupatking wrote:

Yeah, it's funny in a very unfunny way, but I winterize my boat about 6 times a winter. It get's down into the 20's for a couple days, then warms back up to the 60's so I plug everything back up and go ski. It also leads to a large number of near sinkings from missing a connection or forgotten fitting.

I would definitely be investing in ball valves to drain the water if I were in your situation. Skidim has them if you haven't seen them before, or if you don't want to put your own set together. It might take care of your near sinkings.... If you remember to close them...

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MCM001

1992 Nautique Excel
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 10:33pm
I didn't mean i was having a near sinking, I'd never forget! I was, of course, talking about other people.
I will be checking out your link. Thank you
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 11:00pm
I didnt winterize last year, but I did drain after every use. A buddy of mine cracked his block here in NC a few years ago. I believe he went through some winterizing motions, but not the full deal. Costly mistake. Can't be too careful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic