NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy, Newish Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 12:45pm
Congrats
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2015 at 4:16pm
Thanks I'm excited!....

Some fotos:

My Helper

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2015 at 4:17pm

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2015 at 4:28pm
Looks like you might just be ready for the summer. That's awesome.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2015 at 4:34pm
All those chevy's in that garage and you bring in a Ford motor, is your buddy ok or has he been scrubbing his hands like Lady MacBeth - "Out, out damned spot"...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2015 at 4:54pm
Haha,

He's doing fine..

And Here is a running video... And a Disclaimer.

NSWF….. FOUL LANGUAGE AHOY…. I'm not offended but if you are turn it down at work.    
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2015 at 5:03pm
Congrats!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2015 at 6:13pm
Thanks!

Got a wealth of info from around here.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 7:15pm
So now that we have ourselves a running vessel.

Next Few Items:

I have the blower hose just sitting next to the motor and a new blower ready to wire up. Anybody with a 2000 vintage DD GT-40 have a foto of where it's mounted. Some of the pictures I've seen look like it mounts on one of the engine plates.

Battery or Batteries: Single Battery in the stock location thus far. My I/O I installed a Perko Switch with a Battery Maintainer and Two Batteries. Anybody able to stick two batteries in the stock location? Am I over thinking things with two batteries? We are no longer party cove people so it's not going to sit with the stereo on for hours on end. I will add a sub and at least one amp at some point. That and we generally bring my little bose bluetooth radio to the lake with us.

Ballast: Tanks are out and most of the new stuff is plumbed and wired. There is a new fill pump wired to the stock Keypad switch that works great. All of the hoses and fittings are new as well. I have two 800 gph drain pumps attached to the bags that replaced the tanks but I haven't wired them in yet. Will the stock wiring and keypad switch hold up to two pumps? I could always run another switch if needed.

Other stuff/ short term before this season starts:

-Trailer needs new tires badly. I think I will just buy wheels and tires as the clear is peeling on chrome something awful and it's actually cost effective to buy both. I really like the colored ramlin wagon wheels. I think black wheels with a chrome ring would look awesome. Plus my truck is 100% black.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35107&title=ramlin-vin-anyone

- New Rollers. I have them sitting in a box I will replace them the first time we launch the boat.
- Put all the Interior Back in and install the remaining 3 speakers in stock locations... I cleaned up the interior as best I could. For this season I'm ordering a new sun deck and the rear seat bottom. The rest of it I will live with until next winter. I picked up 4 Alpine SPS-M600s and made some HDPE rings to stand them off a bit. I've already installed them on the gunnel pads I just need to re install all of that mess.

Long Term:
- Tower Powder Coat is flaking around the mounting plates. I would like to pull the tower and have it re-powdered next winter.
- Windshield Frame: The Paint is like most of this vintage and missing in places. I've touched it up but I might bite this bullet this winter and remove/paint the whole thing. I'm scared sensless of braking the glass. And I'm going to get it tinted... Had it done on my I/O and loved it.
- Trailer Paint or Powder: I fixed the rust with touch ups but the white I used doesn't match the sun baked white on the trailer. I might strip the trailer next winter and have it completely painted or powder coated.
-Stereo: The previously mentioned Sub and Amp(s) plus a transom remote.
- Trailer Brakes: This trailer has drum surge brakes that don't even have lines ran anymore.. I'm researching going to a disc brake axle.
- Trailer Springs: The Springs are pretty worn out and the bushings are toast. As cheap as they are at the trailer place down the street it makes sense to replace. I might do this sooner than later.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 7:25pm
Ramlin never used wagon wheels, mods were pretty common through the early-mid 00's, cc went to them in '89. CC use chrome wagons before that and painted wagons before that.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 7:47pm
Wrong terminology... Circle holes not triangles
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 10:55am
On the second battery: I would think you are fine with only just the one. You'd probably have to give up you in-floor cooler (if you have one) to do a second one. Or maybe it would have to do under the passenger seat near your amp or something.

But, if you're not planning long periods of engine-off stereo blasting, you should be fine. Maybe you could take a booster pack with you for your first couple of engine-off stereo tests, as an insurance policy, but I figure why add extra complication if you don't need to.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 11:22am
Looking good. Kinda a deja vu. did the same thing last year with my 97' sport. getting the trans/ engine lined up is the hardest thing to do. on the blower mine just screwed into the side of one of the mounts. As far as a battery I try to keep one in the bow. it will fit under the seat in mine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

On the second battery: I would think you are fine with only just the one. You'd probably have to give up you in-floor cooler (if you have one) to do a second one. Or maybe it would have to do under the passenger seat near your amp or something.

But, if you're not planning long periods of engine-off stereo blasting, you should be fine. Maybe you could take a booster pack with you for your first couple of engine-off stereo tests, as an insurance policy, but I figure why add extra complication if you don't need to.

You are more than likely correct that we don't need dual batteries. Even with the two batteries in the I/O we never came close to draining one or the other.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 12:52pm
We got one battery and I have a booster from Wally World with me in case we need a jump.
1994 Sport Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

Looking good. Kinda a deja vu. did the same thing last year with my 97' sport. getting the trans/ engine lined up is the hardest thing to do. on the blower mine just screwed into the side of one of the mounts. As far as a battery I try to keep one in the bow. it will fit under the seat in mine

Funny, I dropped it off at the local nautique dealer monday to have them align everything. It was the only part I didn't feel comfortable doing. They are doing it for very cheap since the interior and floor is still out and the fuel cell isn't bolted down so the strut bolts are still easily accessible. Having them double check our work while they are at it.

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 1:02pm
In my IO I carried around a jump starter after I added an amp and 4 more speakers. I never needed to use it. However, I did eventually go with a second battery setup after my kids hit the teenage years. Teens seem to need music like I need margaritas.

In the SN2001 I just play to use a blue tooth speaker. I may even remove the stereo if this works out. I just don't see a great solution for mounting speakers. Thus, I shouldn't need a second battery.

I have been hearing great things, though about these now smaller lithium jump starters. That would be nice versus the larger jump pack I carried around with me.

Trey, your boat is looking great. I look forward to hearing how that engine performs on the water. Hopefully you got the perfect pass all set up too.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 3:28pm
Perfect Pass wiring is ran but I haven't hooked anything up yet. Speedo appears to be dead so I'm looking at GPS options for that and mayyybbee the upgrade to GPS PP if it's possible with the system I have.

I also need some flavor of depth finder.... Our lake levels in Texas are like a roller coaster; I know my home lake very well from seeing it 15' low to 23' high in the last 20 years but, it's a nice piece of mind.

I dropped the boat off to have it aligned as I was short on time a few weeks ago after we got it started but that seems to have back fired as I have time now and my poor little boat is buried behind a sea of G boats at the dealer and they haven't touched it. In the mean time the hatch cover was dropped off to be recovered.

I'm not a patient person so I'm just pacing around until they call me.

Once it's back I need to finish the ballast and radio.

Goal is to take it with me to the lakehouse on May 1st.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 5:22pm
Have the boat back with a new Hatch Skin and all aligned and ready to go.

-I Put the interior back in and wired up the new speakers
- Installed a new Blower and Hose.
-Picked up some new trailer wheels and tires yesterday.
- Installed a new fire extinguisher

We are going to the in-laws this weekend but when we get home sunday I'm going back over my list a few times to make sure I'm ready to lake test

During the lake test I'm going to replace the bow roller. Picked up a non-makring roller today.

Assuming all goes well I'm going to finish up the ballast stuff and start using it!

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 6:17pm
Coming along nicely!

I'm sure that's one trip to the in-laws you'd rather not be making right now with the boat so close to ready.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 6:31pm
I might be the exception to the rule. My in-laws spoil me rotten so I'm not complaining.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

I might be the exception to the rule. My in-laws spoil me rotten so I'm not complaining.

I am with you, my in-laws are AWESOME.

Boat is coming along really nice. Anxious to see a summary of your total investment at the end.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 6:58pm
Haha. My (soon to be) in laws are super nice to me as well. Doesn't stop me from complaining when I have to make a trip out there during boating season
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 1:42pm
And the count down is on... I'm glad I have a very busy week so in theory it won't drag on as bad... Headed to the lakehouse after a few meetings on friday.

Gonna lake test saturday morning with my dad.

Wife and kiddo are staying home this weekend as I need to sort out the nautique, take dad fishing, replace some front deck boards on my house, and do some pig hunting..

Can't wait!
RJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 9:42pm
If you decide to go with 2 batteries - (Not sure if the bow dimensions are identical) but it is possible to squeeze 2 batteries into the bow battery location (pic of early 2002 Super Air)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2015 at 2:11pm
So I'm posting this message from the middle of the Lake with a smile ear to ear..

Tach is dead and the blower has tripped the breaker a few times but other wise everything is top notch. Sounds awesome with the y pipe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 1:19pm

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 1:20pm
Note: Surfboard was for comic relief.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 2:10pm
First Full weekend. Ran like an absolute champ. Only put about 2 hours on it total since it kept storming off and on. It keeps popping the Blower Breaker. Once reset it will function as it should until I start the motor and then it pops the breaker. I wired it in so I need to check my connections but anything else I should look for?

Saturday Morning.

With the Bosses Wife's Moomba. We had the cove to ourselves until after lunch when the first round of storms blew in.

The lake hasn't been full in 4-5 years and now it's 5' over full pool as of this morning.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 12:41pm
Well.

Time for updates I guess. I wish I would be able to say that we haven't done much too it because we've been using it but that isn't the case. We went from lakes that were 15' under full pool to lakes that are 25' over and going over the spillways. You can't even see the ramp and dock anymore from our road down to the cove.

But in the down time I've Done a few things.
-Replaced the Tach and Hour Meter. Both function as they should now.
- Made some bolt on Wake Racks (Another thread on here) That I've yet to install.
-Replaced all the Bow Rollers on the trailer
- Bought a new trailer winch but I haven't had a chance to install.
- Whipped up a new Spare Tire Cradle to fit under the bow... Haven't had my welder and boat in the same space for several weeks so I still need to mount it.
-Stripped all the old step pads off the trailer, painted the trailer, and applied new pads. Talk about a nightmare.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
  Share Topic