Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy, Newish Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
Author
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 9:58pm
How is the steering cable? If you can't rotate the wheel with one finger I would consider replacing the cable while you have the back opened up. Easier now then after you have it all buttoned up. Make sure you get the correct length cable. I got mine from Nautiqueparts.com. Use PND for a 10% discount.
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2014 at 12:23pm
Steering cable seems fine but I'll give it the one finger test just for fun.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2014 at 12:32pm
Updates:

-Steering cable is good.
-Rear Carpet Came Out Good. I'll do towards the front after we pull the bottom end and trans.
- Sanded, Waxed, Etc the other side and it looks good.
- Ordered a few odds and ends including a starboard keypad that was confirmed as dead.
- We are going to pull the bottom end and trans saturday weather permitting.

So a question:
If you were putting a new Long Block in your boat what all would you replace in addition to the internal pieces?

My List:
Spark Plugs
All Filters
Hoses (Old ones look like crap and have some hours)
Manifold and Riser Gaskets
Belts

What else should I just replace?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2014 at 10:28pm
All the above at least.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

All the above at least.

Any other suggestions? ....

Sensors?
ARP Head Bolts Worth It?
Coil?
Plug Wires?

Thanks!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 11:41am
Pulled the bottom end and trans this weekend.:

Easily actually:

More Bildge and interior cleaning to come....

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 11:44am
And then it snowed a little... in Texas, In November

Myself and the boy made a bench for the lakehouse....

He likes it:

And I mounted the bimini:
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 2:25pm
White stuff in Texas in November, wow!!

We got some this weekend as well, which is earlier then normal for Northern Illinois.

That Bimini may want to scoot back a little for maximum coverage, in the pic it appears to be a bit forward.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2014 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

That Bimini may want to scoot back a little for maximum coverage, in the pic it appears to be a bit forward.

Snow in Texas is always a giant disaster. Luckily this was just enough to make the yards and roofs pretty this morning but otherwise it was bone dry. We got more than a few snow days last year in my area which isn't that common. Usually only snows 1-2 times a year and never sticks around for more than a day.

The Bimini is just stuck up there with the mounts that were there from the previous owner. I will probably do some tinkering with it as it is a little nose high and forward....

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 2:31pm
Just need to rent a puller for the balancer and the short block is ready for the machine shop...

Not really any chunks of piston in the pan but plenty of mettalic sludge.

I'll ask again for feedback on what to replace with a "new" long block....

My list:
Spark Plugs and wires
All Filters
Hoses (Old ones look like crap and have some hours)
Manifold and Riser Gaskets
Belts
FCC Filter and Small Internal Hose
Thermostat
Raw Water Impeller
Edit: Rubber Fuel Hoses. The ones from the tank to the filter/ FCC have lots of junk in them.... Is there anyway to safely clean the other ones with AN fittings?

Considering these:

Coil
Sensors and Temp Switches?

I'll get these bench tested:
Alternator
Starter

What about the distributor? Is there a good way to verify that everything is working as it should? Only thing I've ever really done with one is remove and install.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2014 at 2:20pm
Haven't updated since weren't many responses but I'll keep talking to myself..

Ordered a whole mess of stuff from Zach.

And installed a new strut and my rebuilt prop over the weekend plus new stainless larger thru-hulls for the bildge and ballast.

I called a guy this morning from our local CL that had a brand new Ft4E shortblock for less than $1000 but he said it sold within 10 minutes.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 3:07pm
My Pile is growing. (hard to see but the heads and both intake halves are under the table) Trying to get everything I could possibly need before I send the motor to the machine shop. That way when it comes back I can dive right in to rebuilding this thing.

New Strut and Rebuilt Prop

It's getting better looking
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

+1

I know you probably don't have enough things to spend money on but I think you may want to put an Acme 1442 in your future, the rebuilt 4 blade (original?) will make a great spare.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

+1

I know you probably don't have enough things to spend money on but I think you may want to put an Acme 1442 in your future, the rebuilt 4 blade (original?) will make a great spare.

Noted... With our lakes being so low a spare is a good idea. (Yes, Orig Prop)

Surprisingly my budget is doing okay at this point. I've spent some money for sure but not as much as I expected when i started all this nonsense. I've pretty much purchased everything used or new old stock from here, Craigslist, PN, ETC.. The list of big $$ purchases has been small: a new key pad, new cam/lifters and a couple boxes of engine related stuff from N3/ Zach.

With the eventual rebuild cost in mind and assuming rebuild and start up don't expose any huge problems I should have a decent looking and excellent running nautique by spring for relatively cheap. About the only other thing I want to do this spring before it joins the rest of the lakehouse fleet is redo the sun deck/ rear hatch vinyl and new wheels/tires on the trailer. The vinyl is completely baked back there. All the rest is in usable shape but might get replaced next winter. The tires are way past scary dry-rotted and 3 of the 4 wheels are bent.

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2014 at 6:27am
you know, the more I look at it, the more I like the white tower on the white hull. it actually surprises me that I do, but that sucker looks sharp
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 12:36am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

We got some this weekend as well, which is earlier then normal for Northern Illinois.

CQ; are you storing your lift on shore this year rather than on the bottom of the lake?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2014 at 10:37am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

you know, the more I look at it, the more I like the white tower on the white hull. it actually surprises me that I do, but that sucker looks sharp

My buddy that is helping with the motor told me to PC' it black and I said noooo. I like the black ones but I really like the white myself.

If anything I might freshen up the white if I do the trailer next winter.

Trey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 2:12pm
Well,

I had some time to kill this morning at the office while I was waiting on my install crew. I decided it would be a good idea to pull the stock check valves off of the ballast hoses to clean them up and get them ready for the new ballast hose that arrived yesterday.... So, I'm in decent clothes as we are having our shop christmas lunch in a little bit.

And.... The check valves are filled with the most foul/ horrible smelling filth known to man. That I managed to cover myself in with a little help from compressed air.

I love this boat and this process but it has sure made me smell funny a few times.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 2:41pm
Updates aren't all that much as most of my time out of the office the last few weeks has been spent with family.

Few Items Off the list:

-Pulled the Factory Clarion Tape Player and 6 CD changer out. Tape player was beyond dead but I'm pretty sure the changer works... if anybody still uses those things you are welcome to it :)
-Removed the Factory Ballast Gauges and Dash Mounted Valves.
Leads me to a question: There are several wires from the dead ended into the ballast guages. Should I just seal them up and tuck them up out of the way?
-Finished up all the through hull fittings and ran new bilge hoses.
- Discovered both Bilge pumps are toast and brittle.
- Traced all of the wiring around under the helm and with the exception of the brown bilge wire (my other thread) and the positive cable into the PME everything looks good. Positive terminal on the PME is corroded and I will replace the ring. Doesn't look like a marine grade ring.
- Both of the 12v accessory plugs are toast. Crumbled in my hands.
-Pulled the driver seat out to better clean it and under it plus it gave me better access to the driver panel.
-Since I removed the ballast gauges and valves I'm making some HDPE cover plates.
- Installed the rebuilt prop and new strut... Before I did this you could spin the driveshaft by hand. With the new strut it's hard to turn??? Could I have misaligned the strut somehow? There wasn't really any wiggle room where the bolts went through the hull or the strut itself.

And some progress Pictures.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 2:44pm
More pictures:

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 3:38pm

Leads me to a question: There are several wires from the dead ended into the ballast guages. Should I just seal them up and tuck them up out of the way?

Most likely you're fine. The exception would be, and I don't think it applies here but I don't know for sure, would be if the Positive wire (usually purple) or the ground wire (usually black) going to those gauges are part of a daisy chain setup.

In other words, on the older boats, they would just take the ignition positive (purple) and just "hop" from the positive post of one gauge, to the next, to the next. I don't know for sure whether or not they were still doing that at the time your boat was made.

If so, you'd just have to make sure if something you want to keep working, that is part of the same daisy chain, is still getting it's power feed. And, likewise for the ground.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Most likely you're fine. The exception would be, and I don't think it applies here but I don't know for sure, would be if the Positive wire (usually purple) or the ground wire (usually black) going to those gauges are part of a daisy chain setup.

In other words, on the older boats, they would just take the ignition positive (purple) and just "hop" from the positive post of one gauge, to the next, to the next. I don't know for sure whether or not they were still doing that at the time your boat was made.

If so, you'd just have to make sure if something you want to keep working, that is part of the same daisy chain, is still getting it's power feed. And, likewise for the ground.

There was somewhat of a daisy chain but it was just the two gauges and the 12v plug plus there isn't a "break" in the chain... The way the chain was wired the 12v plug would have still been getting power without the gauges. I will see if I have a picture to illustrate.

Edit: I take that back. If you look at the picture above you can see the purple and black both of which came from the main harness direct and dead-ended into the guages.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 5:41pm

Edit: I take that back. If you look at the picture above you can see the purple and black both of which came from the main harness direct and dead-ended into the guages.

In that case, you're good. Just make sure you tape them up in such away, that they can't directly touch one another. In other words, Purple directly touching black would create a short.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 2:14pm
So I pulled apart the FCC I bought from another member and man did it have a bunch of rocks and crap in the bottom of it. Is that normal?

Is there an easy way to test that the pump works?
I got a new internal hose and filter for it.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 2:46pm
FCC:

:)))))

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2015 at 12:49pm
Not much to Update the last few weeks other than I sold our I/O so I can get back to focusing on this thing...

-Fixed the Brown Wire Coming out of the PME for the bilges. I want to replace the two ring connectors for the PME as they are corroded so I will do that this weekend.
- Ordered a whole mess of ballast plumbing stuff and a few pumps.
- Ordered some A1 Fuel Line to replace the fill and return lines.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2015 at 1:27pm
My Dash vent toob thread reminded me to reply to all this mess..

Stole a battery from something else and started testing things.
Bilge Pumps, Ballast Pumps, Horn, Radio, and Blower are all functional now. New Keypad works as it should as well.
Only thing I didn't have to replace was the horn
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 4:30pm
Sounds like you're coming along nicely.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 6:45pm
This weekends stuff:
Re-wired and installed all the new lights on the trailer. They all work like a charm. Went with clear lenses and LEDs because bling bling.

Installed the Dash Vent Toobs... Holy moly I had to make myself a pretzel to get in there.
Cleaned up some of the new wiring to the bilges and ballast pumps.

Vaccumed it up again. (Notice my one nice cushion that came from the Christines $20 bargin bin.

Finished this up for now... Need to get my gunnel cushions back in to install the remaining 3 speakers but I'm waiting until the motor is back in. Crazy how small HU's have gotten now that they don't have tape or CD players in them anymore.

Cleaned this thing up and stuck the new Injectors in it since they aren't returnable. I probably won't need this now that I bought a complete motor so it's for sale.

The Boy "helped"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 6:50pm
Bilge is pretty clean and ready:

You can see the New Cushion (Which is what I will go with color wise when I start ordering skins.) A New Steering wheel I picked up cheap on PN, and my makeshift gunnel pads to hold me over until I do some sea deck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic