NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy, Newish Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 6:07pm
I used a strainer to put a couple gals in my wife's car and my truck last night and filled up on my way in to the office. I'll do that a few times to get rid of the fuel.
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Also throw that hand pump away and buy a generic electric fuel pump (~$36) and hook it to the fuel line going to engine. Also hook an inline fuel filter to it so that's another line of defense.

Not too sure I would use an electric pump for fuel.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 8:56pm
    What kind of pump is in your car?

Generic electric fuel pump
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 9:01pm

A sealed pump mounted in the fuel so it should not spark.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by leetudor leetudor wrote:

A sealed pump mounted in the fuel so it should not spark.

Lee,
I too am confused. You need to do some research on fuel pumps! They all are not in the tank!! Think marine too! Use Todd's link and read.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 9:16pm
Isn't PCM's external? I'm not certain. I know 4 of the 5 on Yamaha HPDI's are external. Mercury too. Honda too. I assume Jo-suzki as well.
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 11:28pm
I think my car fuel pump was asked about not marine.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 11:48pm
I thought the electric fuel pump was in reference to draining the bad gas out of the tank... Hook the electric fuel pump to the hose coming out of the tank (since it is exposed) and then you want have to hand pump it. I thought it was a good idea. Maybe I misread it - Hhmmphh
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 12:34am
You had it right Steve. I use an old Stewart Warner pump to transfer fuel when I don't use one of those siphon hoses
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 9:48am
Originally posted by leetudor leetudor wrote:

I think my car fuel pump was asked about not marine.

Lee,
You are correct that the specific question was regarding the pump in your car. The point that was being trying to be conveyed was there are pumps made that are ignition safe. Did you:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Lee,
You need to do some research on fuel pumps! They all are not in the tank!! Use Todd's link and read.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 10:52am
Geez...

The tank is empty FYI
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 11:09am
Originally posted by General Barnicke General Barnicke wrote:

Where is Treybizttu, men?

Originally posted by John Winger John Winger wrote:

Blown up, sir!

LMAO
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 11:28am
Lol...

Bill Murray at his best.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 11:34am
So to add a little substance to all of this:

Heads are ready:

Saw this little guy on my way home in Grapevine on weds Evening:
There was a cute little blonde filling up her car in the foreground. She was more than a little creeped out I was taking a picture in her direction. :0)
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 1:06pm
So.......where's the photo of the cute little blond??

Doug
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 3:27pm
Here she is...sort of...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 4:42pm
I also forgot to ask:

I have the raw water pump sitting in my garage and the pulley will not spin what so ever....
Should I: Break it loose? Take it apart? Try to find another one? (holy crap those are $$$ for what it is)

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 4:46pm
I'd take it apart and see what's going on. Maybe the impeller just melted onto the inner wall of the pump?
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

So to add a little substance to all of this:
how to tell you are new to ccfan: trying to add substance to a post about your new boat but also using the phrase "cute little blonde". those are the only words any of us saw
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 6:06pm

(holy crap those are $$$ for what it is)

Trey,
They may not look like much but take a look at the machining that goes into them. Yes, not much for a CNC but still time and set up. Don't forget making the patterns for the castings as well as the other internal parts like the shaft. Then, there's the cam. It's the hardest thing to make - a machining challenge!! Also the steel rule die for the gasket! Of coarse the final thing is the manufactures profit! Start making one yourself!

Yes, pull your pump apart, see what's going on and get back to us.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 6:09pm
Ha,

Point taken. I understand that even the smallest items can have a complicated manufacturing process.

Anywho... Headed to the lakehouse in a few to enjoy a weekend with the family. Hopefully I'll have some time to pull the pump apart and all my other various Nautique related projects on sunday.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2014 at 6:11pm
If pulling it apart yields a fix, then be careful putting it back together. Mainly that you don't over tighten the bolts that hold it together, because you don't wan't to strip out the pump body threads and land yourself back in new pump-ville.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 1:46pm
Well, I didn't get to pull the bottom end and trans out as my buddy was busy sunday.

Did check a few other items off the list though:
-Buffed, Polished, Glazed, and waxed the side that had already been wet sanded. It's pretty beat from being a camp boat but it came out great and looks amazing from what it started like.
- Wet sanded the other side.
- Touch up painted the tower where the racks had destroyed the paint. It's a temp fix for now. Down the road I might pull the tower off and get the extra holes filled and fresh powder coat.

Pretty Side: (sorry lighting was bad)

Side that hasn't been touched other than a wash

Decals Removed:

Wet Sanded:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 5:55pm
So i've been searching for a while today and haven't found anyone with a roller cam GT40... Am I missing somebody's build?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2014 at 6:09pm
Nope, no roller GT40's out there as far as I know.
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joes points are spot on. None of this really applied to the OP for reasons stated previously.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 2:19pm
Few more things accomplished even though I spent the weekend in the deer blind...

So I pulled the raw water pump apart and it spins free and smooth when it's not together. Should there be some resistance when it's put together? The impeller blades have to be smushed to get the top half on.

The Speedo face is really cloudy. Is there a good way to clean those up or am I stuck with buying a new speedo? If so, anybody recognize the brand on this one?

Power washed the back carpet and bildge. Made a pretty good difference and I really should have taken more pictures of the interior when I picked this thing up.. It literally had 2-3" of rotted leaves in it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 2:20pm
And nother side shot just because i'm proud of how it looks so far.

Day 1:

Yesterday:
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 3:25pm
Look like the Faria replacement Gauges, new set is 150-200 range IIRC.
If the face is plastic you could try a clear plastic polish/cleaner if it is the outside that is etched. Used to use that stuff on the clear plastic windows of my Jeep CJ, worked very well.

Looking good, really starting to clean up.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 3:32pm

So I pulled the raw water pump apart and it spins free and smooth when it's not together. Should there be some resistance when it's put together? The impeller blades have to be smushed to get the top half on...

Resistance is futile!!

Actually, in this case, resistance is normal when it's put together. You're right, it's having to constantly lay over impeller blades as it turns. Might be a little less with water in there.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Look like the Faria replacement Gauges, new set is 150-200 range IIRC.
If the face is plastic you could try a clear plastic polish/cleaner if it is the outside that is etched. Used to use that stuff on the clear plastic windows of my Jeep CJ, worked very well.

Looking good, really starting to clean up.

I figured it was just a Faria "pack" since that is what others are.. Struck me as odd that the only gauge fading is the speedo and it's also the only gauge that doesn't have Faria on the face.

Whats to stop me from getting another "coral" speedo by itself as opposed to a full set? Appears they sell them by their lonesome.

Thanks!
Trey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic