Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

props spins when trans in neutral

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sweet1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: props spins when trans in neutral
    Posted: September-30-2014 at 7:04pm
I have a 77 Tique. I have had another new transmission put in last year as the old one would not go into neutral or reverse. In fact I have had about 5 transmissions (i know that just crazy, but I'm crazy about this boat) put in, in the last several years. I always know its starting to go bad when the button is pulled out in neutral but the prop is still spinning and wants to go forward. It just started doing it again. Does anyone know what keeps going wrong and how to fix it? Thanks
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about”

Charles Kingsley
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 7:21pm
I'd say you probably have a linkage issue if its still doing it 5 transmissions later... Search the site for proper install.
sweet1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 7:27pm
I have not been putting this in myself. I had a dealer do it. This last one they also changed the flex plate thinking that might be what causing it. What is the linkage? Could it be the stringers are bad?
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about”

Charles Kingsley
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 7:37pm
He means cable adjustment. Could be on either end.

I have found that tight (recently refreshed) and/or cold transmissions may have a mildly dirty neutral as well, which goes away once broken in or warm.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 7:44pm
The stringers don't have a whole lot to do with the trans linkage and I wouldn't trust a dealer to fine tune the linkage.

Follow the transmission control cable to the shift lever on the trans body.

Unhook it from the transmission.

There are 3 positions on the transmission shift lever and you should be able to feel them when you move the lever forward and backwards.

All the way to the bow is in gear (forward). All the way to the transom is in gear (reverse). Between the two you should feel center (neutral).

If you have to pull the lever forward or back when connecting the control cable then you'd develop the dirty neutral (prematurely engaging forward or reverse when it's supposed to be in neutral)

When I rebuilt my Tique I had some trouble with the linkage and had to bend the control cable mount ever so slightly to attach the cable without moving the shift lever.

sweet1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 7:52pm
Thank you, I will go out and check that. Just to be certain I know what Im looking for: 1. I check that the cable will let the transmission go all the way forward and all the way back while attached to the transmission. (Sorry Im still learning.)

Charles Kingsley
sweet1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 7:58pm
I think I get it, do you mean that I put it in neutral (unattached to the cable) and when i put on the cable back on to the transmission, the cable needs to meet it at exactly that point.

Charles Kingsley
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 8:09pm
Yes, basically.
The whole issue is that this is a hydraulic transmission. If the shift lever is not being moved Completely each direction to Fully Engage fwd and reverse you will not get all the oil pressure delivered to the clutch plates. Without all the oil getting there the plates don't squeeze each other tight enough and start to slip then overheat and warp causing the dirty neutral.
Moving lever is in fact simply opening a valve. Think of it that way.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
sweet1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 8:13pm
Thanks!

Charles Kingsley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic