NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
vernonfarmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Speed
    Posted: September-30-2014 at 1:41am
Finally got the GPS speedo out on the 1955 Atom Skier. The model 620 Gray Marine 4 flathead got the 14.5 woody up to 30.3 mph. Is this good...bad...or what? Gotta say...30 mph in that little boat feels like 70!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 1:51am
Sounds on the low side,what rpm's was it turning? I had an 64 American Skier,same hull as the 65-70 Mustang,with a 70hp 4cylinder Gray,pre GPS days and it would turn 3600. I know Pete's Atom gets up and scoots but he's been MIA lately
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 1:57am
I don't have a tach, Gary. Thanks for the input.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 2:02am
Oh...that 30.3 was with with two people aboard.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 10:20am
That little one we had is in need of tuning and ran about 28 mph on gps.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 11:03am
Glad to see some wood on this site,lol...............
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 12:21am
Billy's back, now we need Pete!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 12:40am
John, might be worth throwing a temporary tach in the ol girl to see what she's spinning at WOT. What size wheel you running on it? I dont think your speed is that far off.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 1:23am
How does one go about throwing a temporary tach on the old girl? I have never checked the prop for numbers either. That I will do in the daylight. But as for the tach...how is that done?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 10:19am
Go to O'reilly and buy the Innova timing light that has the tachometer feature. About 140 bucks but will be very useful to have in your tool box. Also reads dwell/voltage.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:20am
Got an old school analog Snap-On Tach/Dwell meter hooked up with a borrowed 12 volt battery. Alone in the Atom skier I got 31.1 mph at 3300rpm. Honestly, I don't need to go any faster than that in a 59 year old wooden boat. The motor sings and the wake is flat...what more can a guy hope for?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:30am
John,
Great picture!! The boat (and driver) look happy!

Did you ever check the prop to see what pitch your running?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:49am
Nuts...I did not check the prop. Will do, tho...
But yeah...boat and driver happy! The passenger is having a good time too.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:56am
Originally posted by vernonfarmer vernonfarmer wrote:

Nuts...I did not check the prop. Will do, tho...
But yeah...boat and driver happy! The passenger is having a good time too.

Keeping the passenger happy IS important for smooth operations!

Depending on the actual slippage, I'm guessing an 11 or 12 pitch.

btw, what water you running on?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 1:19am
Great stuff! Awesome to see that little atom scooting along!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 11:40am
That Gray 620 was rated at 3200 rpm, turning at 3300 would be exactly how I would prop it to keep the load a bit lower and to get those skiers out of the water. So whatever size and pitch that prop is seems just about right and the motor is relatively healthy and in reasonable tune, enjoy the heck out of it!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:20pm
Nice looking (and running!) boat John! That picture is great, love the smiles. If you ever have a chance please post a video of the boat at speed, would love to heat that Gray wound up, and at idle at the dock.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 12:28pm
Innovas 3340 multimeter has digital tach for about 80
This is the life
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 1:50am
The speed shot was taken by my neighbor, Judy Wagner riding shotgun with her hubby Randy at the helm of their '46 Higgins 17' utility. Sweet ride!
We were on Lake Beulah on a sun drenched Sunday afternoon.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 9:22pm
Finally climbed under the Atom Skier to check out the prop. Not really sure what I'm looking for tho. Three pix of what's stamped on the prop for the experts to decipher for me?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 11:54pm
John, no clue on the numbers. I think if you remove the castle nut and washer you might see the diameter and pitch embossed on the end under where the washer sits.

By the way, that castle nut and washer and pin aren't steel, are they? Kind of look that way in the picture.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 1:10am
Rainin' like heck out...would have to pull the boat out to get to the nut. Thinking that cotter pin should go. What should the nut and washer be? Brass?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 1:25am
You don't need a washer just a brass castellated nut and a stainless cotter key. I doubt you'll find any numbers under the nut,that's a relatively new thing,and that's an old Federal prop
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 1:30am
Both props from my '63 have the numbers on the end. Of course it's a relatively new boat compared to the Atom!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 9:34am
The 3300 is good so I wouldn't worry about the prop. Still, it would be a good idea to send it into the prop shop. A 11" diameter is hard to find so it's worth sending in for a tune up. Your speed is just about there. You may get some more out of it after the prop tune up but don't expect much. I get about 34 to 35 out of my Atom but I have the Hercules model B (60 HP) which is lighter than the Gray. Have you checked the timing? With the vintage engines it was and still is common to get to WOT and have someone advance the distributor for max RPM/speed and then back it off slightly. Dwell can be set with the feeler gauge. Have you checked it? When you get the prop back, don't forget to lap it onto the shaft. The one picture shows dings on the shaft so someone has been whacking on it. Maybe he didn't have a prop puller? The washer is only needed when the nut goes on the shaft too far so the cotter pin hole will line up better. This does happen when the prop taper is too deep.

BTW, this vintage engine can be run WOT all the time as they were made for it. Think about an old gen set were they would run at 3600 all day long.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 11:44am
Thanks for the input....hoping for a decent day yet this fall to try the distributor adjustment. Have not checked the dwell but will do. I'm not familiar with what you said about "lap it to the shaft". And I'm so green I didn't know anything about tuning up a prop! What's that about?

John
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 11:53am
Sorry for the link but below what they are talking about laping the prop. I have been studying this as I will be installing my new 540 prop today

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12866&KW=proper+prop&PID=145077&title=proper-prop-installation#145077

Good luck.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 12:18pm
Wow...thanks for the link. Makes me wonder what else I don't know! Pretty sure its a bunch, tho...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 12:20pm
A prop tune up John is just where a prop shop would make sure that the pitch is correct and the same on all blades and then check the balance. Don't take it to a marina they just farm them out and add their fee. Pete might know of a local shop,if it was a more modern prop, Delta Propeller a site sponsor would be a better choice.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2014 at 12:32pm
You should consider bringing it up to Green Lake next summer for the reunion too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic