NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hours Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by vbatla vbatla wrote:

pics coming soon!

of both the boat......and girlfriend.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 11:29pm
Not to worry John, pics of both ;)

I put a fully charged battery in. With the switch off there were sparks when attaching the battery terminal. After being hooked up for a few minutes I noticed the coil was very hot. Is that normal? If you jump from positive to the switch, then turn the key to start, the wire becomes extremely hot. Also, the ignition light is on. If I push the button in the wire becomes extremely hot. Like a direct short.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:00am
Hmmm, the coil shouldn't be getting any juice at all to get hot unless the key is on...

Here is the 89 Dash diagram to get you started:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/downloads/1989_SN_Wiring_Diagram.pdf
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:04am
That wire going directly from the key to the battery... which battery terminal is it going to?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:14am
Here's the engine side schematic, you'll be needing this too I suspect

vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:41am
Wow. Thanks! This will help tremendously. Should the positive post be on the bow end? There were no markings on the cables.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 12:46am
I was going from the + post on the battery to the switch.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2014 at 1:47am
The next would be to figure out which post on they key the wire is going to.

There is a B (battery but it usually comes from the engine not directly from the battery), I for ignition and S for start.

The wire should be going fro battery positive to the B on the key. If it's going to the I, that would explain why the coil is always live, but wouldn't necessarily explain why things are getting hot.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2014 at 3:48pm
Is there a separate breaker / fuse for the ignition?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by vbatla vbatla wrote:

Is there a separate breaker / fuse for the ignition?

On mine there is... I think there is on an 89 as well. I'm not sure what year they changed over from fuses to push button breakers but I think before 89.

So, on mine:
-the dash hot feed comes from the engine breaker
-Goes to the input side of the dash ignition push button breaker
-The output side of the dash ignition push button breaker feeds:
*The input side of the key switch
*The input side of the horn switch
*The input side of the blower switch
*The input side of both bilge pump switches (auto and manual)
*Maybe the Nav slight switch?
*The input side of whatever accessory switches you have

vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 3:43pm
Thanks! Electrical is all sorted out. Battery installed wrong. ;( Aligned the motor to the drive-shaft. Prop now turns easily. Engine runs great. Changing oil today.   I notice a couple gauges have a haze on the inside. Is it possible to dismantle them for cleaning?
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 3:58pm
Vince, We need pics...
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 4:23pm

OK...here are a few pics :)
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 4:27pm
going with the same colors for the upholstery (red/white/black) thinking of charcoal for the carpet.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 4:31pm

a few pics taken today
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 4:40pm
The tranny has a dirty neutral. I unhooked the linkage and there aren't any click positions. The transmission engages forward and reverse but starts to turn to the forward position when in between. Seems a little noisy too. Does the trans need to be reworked?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic