NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lifters for GT-40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifters for GT-40
    Posted: September-23-2014 at 8:12pm
Hello guys,

Need your expertise here!!! I own a Ski Nautique OB from 1995 with a Ford EFI GT-40 engine (351W I suppose).

I need to replace my lifters and I'm having some problems figuring what's the right part.

I know that the original lifters are hydraulic flat tappet lifters. Here is a picture of the original lifters:

A seller from summit is recomending these lifters: Howards Cams 91212

But I think the right ones are these: Clevite 2131667

Can anyone help?
Ski Nautique 196 OB (1995)
PCM Pro-Boss GT-40 Multiport EFI 5.8L 310hp
750 hours
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 8:55pm
Either one is fine, there is nothing "marine" about lifters.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 11:21pm
Does it hurt anything to put a new lifter on an older cam? Just wondering because they always talk about keeping lifters in order if you remove them etc. so they go back on the same place on the cam.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 11:36pm
Actually if you do mix them up then you need to replace them with new. Then you have to break them in also. If you are going to reuse them then yes they have to go back in order
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2014 at 8:49am
Gary in the old days they used to re grind lifters. In the new throw away society we replace as the replacement cost is less than the labour to repair.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 2:42am
There are only a couple manufacturers of flat tappet lifters today. Local Automotive Machine shops buy these in flats with 128 lifters per flat and they get a good price on them this way. Your part number will be HT900 for small block Ford. GM would be HT817. ( industry standard part numbers ) Any local machine shop will sell these 16 at time out of the bulk flat and you get a good price. Any Auto Parts Store can offer you these same lifter in a package. Sealed Power, Clevite, Elgin, and every camshaft manufacturer offer lifters for sale but only a couple companies actually make them.
The only brand I would avoid based on past issues is Moresa out of Mexico. I should offer that new players may have entered the market in the past 10 years and I would not be aware of them but I doubt it. Flat tappet lifers are declining in sales every year so new investment is un likely.
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 7:44am
Hi guys, thanks for your inputs.

MrMcD, do I have a small block Ford in my Ford GT-40? At the moment I will have to choose one out of these two:
- CLE-2131667 (this one specifically states the 351W engine);
- SUM-HT900 (this one refers Ford)

Will these both work?
750 hours
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by PT Skier PT Skier wrote:

Hi guys, thanks for your inputs.

MrMcD, do I have a small block Ford in my Ford GT-40?

Will these both work?

Yes and yes
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 9:42am
I'm sort of curious, why are you replacing lifters?

I wanted to point out some important things about the break in process.

Buy some engine assembly lube and put a generous amount on the flat surface of the lifter that contacts the cam. Good lubrication is very important. For this reason, you want to get the engine started and up to 2000 RPM as soon as possible. Be careful to get the distributor in a position where the engine will start and run. You can always fine tune the timing after the break in period. Do everything you can to avoid excessive cranking and stalls.

There are different opinions on what to do during the break in period. Some say to vary the RPM between 3000 and 2000 RPM for 20 minutes. Some say its a waste of time, and to just keep it at steady anywhere between 3000 and 2000 for 20 minutes.

Make sure to change the oil and put a zinc (ZDDP) additive in the oil before the break in process. There are many available, just go to the parts store, pick one and follow the instructions. I actually use one of these products for all my oil changes (engines with flat tappet cams). Todays oils have less zinc in them than they did in the early 90's. Roller cams don't need as much zinc.

This is important! You could damage the camshaft if you aren't careful.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 10:08am
He had a rod bearing failure so he's rebuilding,plus he's in Portugal where I imagine parts stores are not the same as ours.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 12:09pm
mamigacz thanks for the input. I will guarantee that my mechanic follows that procedure.

Gary S thank you. And yes you cant imagine how expensive it is to import these parts... On the top of the price you have there I must add S&H fees (latest order from summit by DHL cost 85$), then add 23% for customs and then 75$ plus for DHL customs clearance fees... It's crazy...
750 hours
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

He had a rod bearing failure so he's rebuilding,plus he's in Portugal where I imagine parts stores are not the same as ours.

Ahhhhh, that makes more sense. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic