Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Bunks

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Bunks
    Posted: September-17-2014 at 1:05pm
I need to replace my trailer bunks as some of the wood is degrading. What is the best material to use?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 1:49pm
replace with new wood (not trex or other composite).   I think you can use treated, but I doubt that it was treated in the beginning, and with the length of time that the originals lasted, I am not sure treated is really necessary.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 2:04pm
Personally would go treated since it's only a few bucks more. If your bunks are the type where the underside of the wood is exposed and the carpet completely encapsulates the wood, consider leaving the underside open to breath a bit. Made that change with my lift bunks and it did make the wood last longer.
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Personally would go treated since it's only a few bucks more. If your bunks are the type where the underside of the wood is exposed and the carpet completely encapsulates the wood, consider leaving the underside open to breath a bit. Made that change with my lift bunks and it did make the wood last longer.

Any concern about the chemicals used in PT wood leaching through the bunk carpet and staining the hull?
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 2:39pm
I'd go treated. Also when you get carpet.. make sure it is they kind with backing! I bought some from a well know trailer mfg and it was not backed. not holding up as well!

Follow Quinners suggestion and do not wrap all the way around bunk, leave a few inches of wood exposed on bottom for water to drain.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 3:19pm

If your bunks are the type where the underside of the wood is exposed and the carpet completely encapsulates the wood, consider leaving the underside open to breath a bit. Made that change with my lift bunks and it did make the wood last longer.

I did this last year when I redid my bunks. I also doubled up on the top of the bunks to add some extra cushion.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 5:53pm
Pressure treated is overkill and unnecessary...your carpet wont last ten years ...its best when carpet wears out to just install new bunks/carpet
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 5:58pm
Its just not ever worth the time hassle to pull staples to remove old carpet from still good 6 dollar bunk boards
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 6:34pm
Round off the edges to eliminate pressure points.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 6:39pm
Glass seeker has clearly never worked on a (wishbone) correct craft trailer. No way would I go to tr trouble of replacing the bunks if they were perfectly fine! Carpet alone isn't a big job. When done right, it can last- I have trailers with carpet older than I am!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 9:07pm

If your are the type where your wood is exposed consider leaving the underside open to breath a bit. Made that change when I turned 50 and it did make my wood last longer.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If your are the type where your wood is exposed consider leaving the underside open to breath a bit. Made that change when I turned 50 and it did make my wood last longer.

Is quinner a Scottish Highlander?
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 11:44pm
Treated with marine carpet. Pick out nice straight boards that have minimum cupping potential by looking at the end grain. The boards with the straightest grain across the end will cup the least. Find a local marina or shop that sells the carpet and that way you see what you are getting. The heavy stuff is nicer and like I saw earlier, will have backing. By the good boards and good carpet and they WILL last. I use Inconel staples as well to fasten. Better than stainless.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2014 at 12:49am
Looked everywhere to find the correct carpet bunk lenght so I decided to purchase marine carpet with the backing from the big box store (Menards). For the price of one set, I will be able to wrap the bunks 3 times.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic