Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hull vibration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hull vibration
    Posted: September-16-2014 at 3:12pm
Last Winter I restored my 1975 Mustang 17 with a new long block 307 RH, new stringers and floor. I took care in lining up the shaft/motor and installed new packings in shaft and rudder. I managed to get about 20 hours on the boat this year just enough to get the new block broken in. What a treat to have the girl start each time I went to use her. I did notice a hull vibration around 3k, but of course my wife did not. Since I live in the wild Northeast our season is nearing a close, so I yanked the boat last weekend. I pulled off the very tight prop, which appeared to be fine and measured the prop side of the shaft after the strut and got less than .001" variation.

Now I am a motorcycle junkee as well and got the idea to check the 12rh14 federal on my bike wheel balancer.
This may be a ridiculous idea, but I figured what the heck

It took nearly 3/4 oz of weight's on the hub to get it balanced. I figured it would require much less further out on a blade but no blade lined up where I needed the weight.

Is this enough to cause this vibration, or should I look further?
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 3:30pm
I would imagine so. Send it to a prop shop or spend a little cash and pick up an acme 540 then watch that smile you won't be able to wipe off your face.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 3:31pm
Every federal I've run vibrates pretty good. It becomes a lot more obvious if you put one on back to back with a decent hand finished prop (OJ) or a nice CNC wheel (acme). Once you feel the difference in performance an smoothness, that federal will go in the toolbox as a backup and (hopefully) never reemerge.

The only other thing worth checking is the strut bushing... Any slop?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 3:34pm
Why the 540 ?? Thanks!
1975 Mustang 225 307RH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 3:36pm
There is a very slight movement, if I really yank it to the side (maybe a couple thousandths).

I have about an inch and a half between the prop and the strut. Is this excessive?
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 3:38pm
The 540 improves performance everywhere from tracking-holeshot-top end speed. It is a more modern propeller design. It is CNC machined and utilizes a steeper rake/larger blade surface area than hand laid especially older federal propellers.

It is basically like bolting on 50 HP as well as gaining in other areas.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 3:47pm
540 is the wrong prop on that hull, Zachy boy... 1210 is the 12.5" diameter version that fits on the smaller hulls.

If there is an allowable tolerance on strut bushing wear, I can't imagine .001" would be out. But wear is wear, and it might be a minor contributor.

1.5" is certainly excessive on the strut to prop clearance, but at the same time, it's not "abnormal" for cc to have set the boat up that way. I would not go out of my way to dial it in on an otherwise ok performing stock boat, but if the need for a new shaft arises, by all means get that clearance below an inch (ideally ~1/2").

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 4:06pm
I have about an 1 1/4" from the stock prop to the hull bottom, if I make the exposed shaft less won't the prop to hull clearance be awfully close?
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 4:50pm
My trig is rusty but with a 15* strut angle you'd lose .26" clearance.

I don't know how aggressive the rake is on an 1210 (not all Acmes are equal) but you'll gain some clearance back from it. My gut says you'd be fine.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 4:51pm
AHHH TIMMY. I thought 13" was cool on the Mustang 17 hull apparently not. Tique -81 needs 1210 as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 4:56pm
I put the prop back on and measured 3/4" clearance to hull bottom and 1 1/2" to strut..
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 5:42pm
The 1210 is raked just like the 540 as it is the same prop just cut down 1/2". M17 used the same 6a strut as the 71+ 16'5" boats (skier/Tique/m16). You will keep clearance the same with the 12.5" 1210 as a 12" federal or oj, possibly gain some clearance due to the aft rake. If you were to modify the shaft, which I would only encourage if you were replacing the shaft anyways OR were pushing the limits of the hull (speed wise) then HW is correct with his trig- you give up about 1/3 of the shortened length in hull clearance. 1" of clearance is plenty, I wouldn't sweat 3/4" much... Anything beyond that I'd have to consider carefully- but that should not be the case with the prop/hull/strut combo that you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The 1210 is raked just like the 540 as it is the same prop just cut down 1/2". M17 used the same 6a strut as the 71+ 16'5" boats (skier/Tique/m16). You will keep clearance the same with the 12.5" 1210 as a 12" federal or oj, possibly gain some clearance due to the aft rake. If you were to modify the shaft, which I would only encourage if you were replacing the shaft anyways OR were pushing the limits of the hull (speed wise) then HW is correct with his trig- you give up about 1/3 of the shortened length in hull clearance. 1" of clearance is plenty, I wouldn't sweat 3/4" much... Anything beyond that I'd have to consider carefully- but that should not be the case with the prop/hull/strut combo that you have.

Thank you... should the center of the shaft be dead-on the center of the rudder? I do notice more vibration while turning
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 5:52pm
It will vibrate more one way under turning load than the other because of the prop rotation. At least that's what I have observed in plenty of rigs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 5:57pm
should the center of the shaft be dead-on the center of the rudder?
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

HW is correct with his trig- you give up about 1/3 of the shortened length in hull clearance.

so, closer to 1/4...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 2:00pm
On closer inspection I saw that the strut was slightly bent to starboard about 1/4"- 3/8". I left the shaft in and with a woodworkers pipe clamp, a big steel bar jammed into the trailer to pull against and my torches, I was able to straighten the strut perfectly centering the shaft into the log hole. I then quickly wrapped soaking wet rags around the strut to remove the heat and protect the hull. I then checked for a bent shaft and/or coupling at the motor and found nothing bent. I then removed the strut and the cutless bearing (ordered a new one from DB for $56 delivered. When the bearing arrives I will install it and remount the strut with 5200. Then I can check for alignment at the motor; hopefully I will be good to go. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on an ACME 1210?
1975 Mustang 225 307RH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 2:07pm
Should I see set screws on the strut? It's an original 6A.
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 3:42pm
If you intended on removing the shaft why the hell would you have messed with the strut with it still in? Have you disconnected the coupler and checked your alignment? Is the shaft centered in the log? Not really sure why you are so dead set on messing with all this. Sounds like I'm a day late but the shaft does not need to be centered on the rudder.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If you intended on removing the shaft why the hell would you have messed with the strut with it still in? Have you disconnected the coupler and checked your alignment? Is the shaft centered in the log? Not really sure why you are so dead set on messing with all this. Sounds like I'm a day late but the shaft does not need to be centered on the rudder.

I didn't remove the shaft. I thought the strut would be less likely to twist with the shaft in it while bending it back. The shaft is now centered in the log with couplings fastened together and in the strut.
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 5:48pm
Surely you changed the angle of the shaft by moving the strut. Now you need to move the engine to align it with the new shaft location. Do your boat a favor and figure out what a drivetrain alignment is. Bolting the couplers together is not sufficient.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Surely you changed the angle of the shaft by moving the strut. Now you need to move the engine to align it with the new shaft location. Do your boat a favor and figure out what a drivetrain alignment is. Bolting the couplers together is not sufficient.

If you reread my post above you will see I intend to realign the motor at the couplings after I replace the cutless and remount the strut. How would you have straightened the strut?

Thank you Hollywood for your input. Do you know of a good deal on an acme 1210?
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 6:47pm
Once you unbolt the couplings the shaft will likely move! Chances are it probably won't be centered in the log anymore. This is assuming you had a proper alignment before the strut massage...

Maybe the strut didnt need to bend at all?! Alignment starts with the shaft centered in the log, then centered in the strut, and ends at the transmission couplings. You wanting it centered on the rudder is superficial. If strut, log and coupling alignment was fine before I wouldn't have bothered doing anything.

However, to get the shaft centered on the rudder I would have removed the rudder and shaft first. Next, loosen the strut bolts. Then shimmy the strut as necessary. There is some play in the bolt holes. Check by reinstalling shaft and rudder.

I think hammering on the strut with the shaft installed was a bad idea.

I don't have any 1210s. That's much smaller than I typically deal with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 7:10pm
I never took a hammer to the strut; it straightened out pretty easily while centering into the log at the same time. The strut, log and coupling alignment wasn't fine before, I think that's why I had a vibration above 3000 rpm's. I could see that the strut was bent also.
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2014 at 7:41pm

Anytime the couplings are split or I bugger a prop the alignment gets checked. These struts are super soft and bend easy. ( my ACME is in rehab as I speak :( ) I will fess up though to taking a little twist out with a 15" crescent wrench and cheater bar. This I have done (twice) with the coupler split and my goal being the shaft centered in the shaft log. (pull the hose off for accuracy) Anything other than a slight bend and it goes to the strut press at the prop shop. In my experience if you hit bottom hard enough to fold a blade you have more than likely bent the strut.
I run fast and shallow over oyster shoals to where we ride... Ask Chris... he has seen it.
This also why I would never use 5200 to put one back on. I need a sealant, not an adhesive that will tear the gelcoat off next time I have to service the strut. The bolts should hold it on just fine :)
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2014 at 1:35pm
Thanks John....very helpful.
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2014 at 6:57pm
That reminds me, I should have bought Hollywoods prop... didnt think I needed two spares..Now Im gonna have to run the OJ for the weekend.

Spare ACME has a nice ring to it..
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 11:28am
I purchased a new 1210 ACME from Accutech and placed it on the shaft. My clearance to hull dropped to 1/2", I guess I won't be shortening the shaft anytime soon.
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 11:48am
Interesting. I have ~1" on my Skier. It baffles me how 2 flat bottom boats with the same 6a strut could have such wildly different clearances (my prop to strut clearance is slightly higher than optimal, but not excessive... Around an inch iirc).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 2:36pm
accutech told me the OD on the federal was less than 12" and the new ACME is 12.5", maybe that's where the difference is.
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic