Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Brakes
    Posted: September-10-2014 at 11:59am
Have an 89 CC trailer. The actuator is shot and one brake cyl. leaks. Overtons has the complete disc. brake system
for 649.99. Has any one converted to disc.
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 11:23pm
http://www.trailerparts.com/http://www.trailerparts.com/
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 11:37pm
what about this kit?

Would this kit work on a 1999 Eagle marlin?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 8:58am
My friend has disc brakes & has had a lot of trouble with them. The drum brakes are simple & do the job.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 10:24am
I am going electric drum when I do the new trailer.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 10:38am
I had an offshore boat that had galvanized drum brakes on double axles. After 2 years in the salt the entire system was trashed. I switched to the Tie Down stainless disc system from overtons and when I sold it 7 years later I never had to service them nor add fluid and they still stopped that boat better then the drums ever did.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 11:31am
That sounds good. Thanks for the info.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I am going electric drum when I do the new trailer.

This will be my next trailer upgrade I hate the surge brakes. I like to be able to dial in brake pressure as road conditions dictate.
I have electric drums on my 20' Vee-nose sled trailer and love them.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

My friend has disc brakes & has had a lot of trouble with them. The drum brakes are simple & do the job.

Have (4) discs on my trailer, almost 10yrs old and never a problem, stops really well also.

Electric sounds great however any issue with them regularly being submerged??
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 12:24pm
Nope, 12v low current and the magnets are all weather sealed. Probably less risky than trailer lights going under water.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 12:27pm
And pending the style installed I believe if you squeeze the gain manually you can use the brakes while backing down a ramp.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 4:54pm
that sounds like the ticket Zach..
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 5:10pm
Super cheap to when you factor out the extra money for the actuator (brake controllers for trucks are way cheaper).

I am going to give it a shot next spring I think.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 11:30am
Interesting on the electric. My local trailer guy, runs a shop that moves a ton of boat/landscape/sled/work trailers, said to stay away from electric on boat trailers. He said there's always a latest version but in his experience none of them hold up for long. But, he does a lot of salt water trailers so that might color his thinking.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 11:31am
I would imagine salt isn't too friendly to the magnets and associated wiring connections.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic