Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skiing Etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skiing Etiquette
    Posted: September-01-2014 at 8:38pm
I was at Kerr Lake in NC this weekend, which we expected it to be busy. It was windy so we tried to ski and wakeboard in protected cove which was pretty narrow (one boat at time - two could pass but it would ruin both peoples runs. As there are few houses on the lake, most are campers or day users. The cove was very busy and I was wondering what is the proper way to get in runs. We tried to wait until one boat got in a couple of runs then jump in. I was amazed at the number of tubers which come into the cove and try improve there skills on smooth water, including a great looking Ski Nautique which was out there most of the weekend and only once was pulling a person on two skis.

I know this was Labor Day which is always busier than normal, but I am curios as to how to handle this with other skiers trying to use the same area.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 8:54pm
Tuesday thru Thursday. Try next Saturday or Sunday, Before breakfast and at supper time 6:00 pm.

Nautiques weren't made for holiday week-ends on public lakes.

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 9:11pm
I knew things were going downhill when the Overtons catalog started having more pages of tubes than skis. Labor day seems to be when everyone gives one last out to the lake. Unless you are around known skiers (and that doesn't just mean someone that owns a ski boat), then you mine as well sit on the dock and enjoy the day. Luckily, I live on a large lake, that has tons of "secret coves" that are away from the tubers. However, every so often a yahoo comes through, does a few circles, wonders why I don't wave, then realizes we aren't tubing and leaves.

The part that kills me, is they want waves but won't go out in the main water where all the waves are! I really dislike tubers and refuse to pull a tube.
vernonfarmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 9:31pm
Very busy on Lauderdale Lakes in southeast Wisconsin on Sunday. But I commented to my wife that we hadn't seen one skier! Tubes, tubes and more tubes. What kind of skill must one hone to ride a tube? Where did all the skiers go?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 9:43pm
Ski Season starts tomorrow !

On my lake, I've noticed a lot more recreational skiers this year and last.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 10:55pm
The tubes were out in full force today. We only got a couple of runs in before everything was chopped up. No matter where we went there was either a tuber or a wake surfer.

Lake was a mess. Wound up just going to the sandbar and relaxing. Weather was perfect.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:00pm
I have tried to add my fair share of skiers to the world....every one of my kids friends that come to the lake must ski. We broke two wakeboard bindings and I never fixed them. They don't miss the wakeboard and love skiing. I taught five teens to slalom this summer. Two of them started on slalom. Nothing like the peer pressure of young girls and boys!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:32pm
footed Saturday morning & took seascamper for a ride in the new to me boat. A couple of young girls came out in a center console boat with a tube but they waited till we were done! We rode over to thank them.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:58pm
In most cases it seems as though etiquette on the water had gone the way of etiquette at the boat launch......this weekend while coming tight on the line I had a dumb a$$ come by us within 20' of the skier. While she was tooling by in some big ole Centurian with ballast tanks full and not more than 50' from others docks oblivious to those around her and the effect of her wake on the docks and boats she was going by.

Just goes to show common sense is not a prerequisite for boat ownership or operation.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:58pm
Overcast and cloudy Saturday and Monday with lots of wind. Sunday was perfect except for the wake boat pulling tubers 1st thing out at 830am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 12:03am
Holiday weekend, boat stays on the lift and I get those over due house chores out of the way Going out tomorrow evening where there should only be 2-3 boats on the water
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 12:04am
We had carb trouble with the SN so stayed on the pontoon while the kids played with a small speedboat. The lake was pretty busy at times, mostly tubers, one wakeboarder practicing inverts, and a single slalomer--big guy who did a nice deepwater start. I gave him a standing ovation. Skiing is just not as popular as when I was a kid.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:05am
Live on a small lake where we can only make a wake from 11:00 till 7:30 . So 10:59 = in water - 11:00 = girlfriend starts pulling me wakeboarding . About 11:20 or so switch up and do do a quick slalom run . By about 12:00 I jump on my Superjet and become part of the problem by jumping the tubers wake . Mentioned to my girlfriend that there were a couple of younger skiers out today slaloming which is kind of unusual . By about 7:00 , might do another run or two when it slows down again . Next month is when I love it best . Just a few boats here and there - very relaxing !!
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

footed Saturday morning & took seascamper for a ride in the new to me boat. A couple of young girls came out in a center console boat with a tube but they waited till we were done! We rode over to thank them.

I'm sure you went over just to thank them. Nothing like a closer look.
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:35pm
The weekend was nice. A bit of weather. Good to be on the boat.

Not much skiing.

Here's a video shot from my 82 2001 over labor day weekend staring down wakes of various tubing and surfing boats.

Labor Day 2014
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:38pm
On Kerr I would say if someone else was in the cove first go find another one.   We pretty much go on first come first serve around my parts. We set up camp on the best water we can find and keep running there until we are done, if someone else shows up and tries to run my line I don’t give them a very wide berth, that is rare though. Likewise If someone doing anything other than tubing is there first we go somewhere else, and wake up earlier the next day. Of course first come first serve doesn’t apply to fishermen if they are parked in the only calm spot of the lake. If it’s calm over at least half the shore I give them plenty of room if they are already set up, but if its blowing north or south and we only have one reasonable spot to ski that is where we ski. If you spend more than a couple minutes between sets then any claim to a line is pretty much forfeit.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

On Kerr I would say if someone else was in the cove first go find another one.   We pretty much go on first come first serve around my parts. We set up camp on the best water we can find and keep running there until we are done, if someone else shows up and tries to run my line I don’t give them a very wide berth, that is rare though. Likewise If someone doing anything other than tubing is there first we go somewhere else, and wake up earlier the next day. Of course first come first serve doesn’t apply to fishermen if they are parked in the only calm spot of the lake. If it’s calm over at least half the shore I give them plenty of room if they are already set up, but if its blowing north or south and we only have one reasonable spot to ski that is where we ski. If you spend more than a couple minutes between sets then any claim to a line is pretty much forfeit.

This is what I was trying to do.

I was amazed at the number of people anchored in the middle of the coves, not on an edge. Also, we were joking about fishermen setting up a slalom course for us with their string of floats. Usually a couple of runs on the boat and they leave, but they are usually there well in advance of us and realize once things start up they are done. Spoke to a friend who fishes and he feels skiers are a PITA, kind of the way I about tubers.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:53pm
Life Jeff (Faceplant) my "home" lake in Michigan has no wake restrictions for much of the day; before 11 AM and after 7:30 PM. I mostly dislike this rule, but since there isn't anything I can do about it I just live with it and have a nearly identical skiing schedule.

The thing that really burns me up are the tubers doing donuts in the only clean water on the lake when it is windy. Back in June my skiing buddies and I were *this* close to actually waving a boat down and asking them (nicely of course) to move to the larger part of the lake where they wouldn't be messing up smooth water that we, and maybe other folks, wanted to use. As far as fishermen go I don't give them quarter beyond what I must legally during the hours where we are able to ski. I figure they've already got the mornings and evenings to themselves so I am going to use every available inch of smooth water when I can.

Oddly, I've been able to get more barefoot runs in recently with other boats around than I have slalom runs. I think this is mostly because I can find small stretches of smooth water along the shore to zip through and I am satisfied with that. I am also getting better at dealing with waves/wakes and it kinda makes it fun. I cannot say the same for slalom because I usually want to make multiples passes on the swerve stick and invariably some idiot will mess it up the good water that is important for predictability in my turns.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by td_in_nc td_in_nc wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

This is what I was trying to do.

I was amazed at the number of people anchored in the middle of the coves, not on an edge. Also, we were joking about fishermen setting up a slalom course for us with their string of floats. Usually a couple of runs on the boat and they leave, but they are usually there well in advance of us and realize once things start up they are done. Spoke to a friend who fishes and he feels skiers are a PITA, kind of the way I about tubers.

I was/am a hard core fisherman. I park my flats boat next to my Nautique. In the past year or two I've gotten more serious about slalom bc the lake I live across from sucks for fishing and I hate to have a lake at my door step not being used so the ski and CC has been getting more use lately, plus I need to work the beer off from fishing. As a fisherman I never understood other fisherman bitching about skiers. Tubers.... Diff story. But when other boats go by it stirs up the oxygen and adds oxygen to the water which is the basis of life. Bait comes to this fresh oxygen, creating action etc. the wake pushes the bait and fry to the shore creating a concentration of bait in an area. So as a fisherman I enjoy the skiers, in fact I'll seek that same glass water knowing a skier might be there and it makes it easier to sight fish and gives me more scenary As a skier I give fisherman a safe reasonable distance. They either appreciate the O2 like I do or leave. I know I can't ski as long as they can fish so I'm just looking for :30. If it pisses them off and leave oh well bud, sorry you're a turd.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 3:01pm
Yeah I just enjoy hitting the water and don't have high hopes for Labor Day Weekend!

Lake law should read as follows:
Barfooters get first crack, then slalom skiers, then tricks/combos and wakeskates, then wakeboards then tubes and surfers..

Any deviation and we pop your tube!

While I like the first come first serve rule... if I am pulling a mediocre wakeboarder or less and notice a decent skier looking for good water, I will migrate out of the favorite coves etc. and give them right of way.

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 1:07am
Hansel - what is your home lake in Michigan if you don't mind me asking ? Just common courtesy , ski or wakeboard before the rush - jet ski when tubers are out and then retreat to the shore when the skiers come out so that they can have the flat waters to themselves .
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 10:03am
Jeff, 99.9% of the time I am on Hutchins Lake on the west side of the state in Allegan County, about 3 hours west of you. As I kid I also spent a decent amount of time on Big Star Lake near Baldwin and IIRC they had similar speed restrictions and I have seen it on other lakes in Allegan Co. as well. Is this some kind of Michigan thing?

Yes, common courtesy for sure. I have to say that there are many more skiers, especially kids, on the lake today than there were ten or even five years ago so we've got that going for us. I suspect the most offensive tubers are mostly short-term renters, and in some way I can't really blame them for "ruining" the water so long as they do it safely (which isn't always the case).
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 12:11am
Hansel . I heard that the wake restrictions only apply to the smaller acreage lakes . Not sure where the acreage size cut offs are . I don't blame anyone for having fun ( skiing , boarding , tubing , jet skiing , fishing etc ) as long as safe . This isn't a dress rehearsal - have FUN . LOL .
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 12:22am
Originally posted by scottb scottb wrote:

Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I'm sure you went over just to thank them. Nothing like a closer look.

just being friendly!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 12:30am
Your just a friendly kinda guy aren't you Jbear!
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Hansel . I heard that the wake restrictions only apply to the smaller acreage lakes .

Jeff, that makes sense, but I wouldn't call either of those lakes small. Hutchins is about 380 acres and Big Star is over 900 acres in size.

This sign at Big Star seems to indicate that it is some kind of "special" rule, though apparently also a common one in our part of the world.

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Hansel . I heard that the wake restrictions only apply to the smaller acreage lakes .

Jeff, that makes sense, but I wouldn't call either of those lakes small. Hutchins is about 380 acres and Big Star is over 900 acres in size.

This sign at Big Star seems to indicate that it is some kind of "special" rule, though apparently also a common one in our part of the world.

Absent definition of high speed one could argue ( but who am I to argue?) that your bare feet would not fall under a contrivance.....certainly would be a conversation opportunity with someone in a uniform or robe.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 11:38am
Skiing etiquette is 2 ski boats sharing the same water. Most of this discussion is boating etiquette. Good luck finding this during a holiday weekend on any body of water near civilization.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 1:15pm
True, "high speed" is relative... I mean, boats are pretty slow compared to cars at freeway speed, right?
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2014 at 12:07am
Oops - guess that I was wrong on the acreage to no wake law comparison . My lake is only 68 acres . The other one with wake time restrictions is 53 . Just assumed it was because of smaller sizes .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic