NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat wouldn't start today

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat wouldn't start today
    Posted: August-31-2014 at 10:11pm
Drove all the way to the ramp today and when I tried to start the boat she wouldn't go. She cranked fine, but wouldn't fire up. I tried pumping the throttle with no luck.

Ran the boat home. Checked for spark. Had spark. Popped off the FA and the accelerator pump seemed to be squirting just fine. Still wouldn't fire up.

I poured a bit of fuel straight into the carb and she fired right up. Took her back to the lake and she ran great all day. No issues.

This is the first time since we've owned the boat where she wouldn't start. She only sat for two weeks since we last took her out. Filled her up with fresh fuel prior to heading out today.

No idea what to think. Not sure if I should be worried or not.

Input from you guys???

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 11:57pm
Dumb question.... But we've all done it.... The kill lanyard wasn't pulled was it? Still feel snug, no loose connections?
Did you look down the carb while at ramp to check if it could be flooded or lack of? I think it was National Carb Fart Weekend bc mine too had a similar brain fart this weekend and it's fixed but I don't know what we did to fix it.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:00pm
No lanyard on our '92. No heavy fuel smell near carb when it wouldn't start.

She fired right up this morning and each and every time we ran her today.

Weird.

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:35pm
Unfortunately probably the start of something bad to come. Double check any connections you made on ignition swap, maybe something popped up. As you know, Being carb'd, a driveway crank is a good idea to bring it up to temp and check everything.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 6:24pm
After sitting for a few weeks, easy to think you were lacking fuel to start up, since you say you had good spark. But, if the accelerator pumps were squirting that would usually be enough to at least make it try to start.

I'd check fuel pressure first, get a gauge on it and see if your fuel pump is delivering to the carb OK.

Then, also wondering if you had weak spark and flooded a bit when cranking. A really good telltale would be, when that no-start happens, to pull some spark plugs and see if they are wet or dry. Good spark and dry, you need to look at fuel delivery. Plugs are wet, you might have ignition problems.

Harder to troubleshoot once it's running great again, but glad to hear you got her running and enjoyed a day on the boat!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 7:57pm
Cant be weak spark,he just put a DUI in it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 8:02pm
Probably a dirty battery connection.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 8:48pm
Battery cables look clean and are tight. I removed the gas cap to see if it was possibly vapor locked. Didn't hear any woosh or anything abnormal.

We've had the boat for 2 years and this is the first time this has ever happened.

It really seemed like a fuel issue. I normally pump the throttle 2-3 times prior to cold starting at the ramp. This time it wouldn't start after my normal starting procedure. I pumped it a few more times throughout the 5 or 6 times I cranked the motor over. I would have thought I'd smell fuel if she was flooded, but I didn't.

Took about 30 minutes to get back to the house and she still would crank, but not start. Spark tester on #1 cylinder indicated spark. When I removed the FA I saw 2 streams coming from the squirters when the throttle was applied.

I added maybe a cap full of fuel and she fired right up. No idea what could have gone wrong.

If it happens again, I will definitely check the plugs and battery voltage.

I just purchased this handy-dandy vacuum/fuel pressure gauge. Not quite sure how to test fuel pump pressure with it yet.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 9:30pm
You said it cranked, never mind on the battery connection.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 10:21pm
If you have gas coming out of the squirters and good spark but an intermittent starting problem, I'd go with bad gas. How long has it been sitting, where did you get it (high or low traffic station/octane), how does it smell? Bad gas smells like paint thinner.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you have gas coming out of the squirters and good spark but an intermittent starting problem, I'd go with bad gas. How long has it been sitting, where did you get it (high or low traffic station/octane), how does it smell? Bad gas smells like paint thinner.

Gas was only in tank for 2 weeks, but I filled her up on the way to the ramp that day, prior to it not starting. I filled her up at my local 7-11 with 89 octane. Not the same station I always use. First time and last time filling up there (not easy to get around small parking lot).

The gas I poured into the carb when I got back home was what I use for my lawn equipment. It's probably 3-4 weeks old, but I always use stabilizer in it.

I didn't notice any weird fuel smells either. Actually didn't really smell any fuel, which is why I thought it was a fuel problem until I saw fuel coming out of the squirters. That's why it's so weird.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 11:37am
Yeah, I'd chalk it up to bad gas. I wouldn't think two weeks is long enough to have gas go bad but you never know with the sh*t they sell now!

Do you use stabil marine?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 1:36pm
Had a similar scenario last month, got strucked by 2 different failures,

first problem was fuel related, boat was unusud for 2 weeks, went to start it, it would take more time than usual, it finally started but it had a rough idle, it then smooth out, so out i went, but still felt some miss, on the way to the gas station it stalled, thats where the 2nd problem arrised, it wouldn't turn over, so I got towed back to the marina.

On the first issue, removed the primary bowl, to find gunked gas like yello shots, it was plugging the needle and seat, so there was no flow of fuel.
Cleaned it, and it started, so up again to my river house...but seems more gunk was around as it would stall if I let of the throttle...so I made it to my house barely..again had to clean the carb, and made it back with the same bad running...during the week I head the carb metering block completey cleaned...
On the no turn over thing it was the battery cable, wich had some tape, removed the tape, and noticed half the cable was cut, and also corroded. I had this failure showing up randomly over the last years where it would turn over heavily or directly no start, but after some minutes it would start normally...
New cable placed, cleaned carburator, now she runs like a champ!

So do not over look this kind of thing! bad gas is everywhere, and the cables should be inspected periodically! I was at the point to change the battery! i would have been a waste of money!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Do you use stabil marine?

Only in the winter if I'm too lazy to get ethanol free. The only reason the boat sat for 2 weeks is because my buddies wanted to go to Ponce Inlet and we don't put our boat in salt water.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 3:45pm
I add it to every fill-up. The marine Sta-bil is expensive, but really over the course of a summer doesn't add up to much. I know I'm burning through gas relatively quickly, but feel better if every gallon is treated just in case.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 4:35pm
I would rather store my boat empty than with Ethanol(even with Stabil). Nothing will keep ethanol fuel from phase separation. Plus the ethanol eats the fuel lines, unless they are made for use with ethanol. Hence the decal next to the filler cap that warns you about using ethanol based fuels. Most towns have a few stations that carry conventional fuel.

If you are leaning towards a fuel problem, put in fresh fuel and change the fuel filter.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 9:44pm
Speaking of fuel filter. My 93 has a water separator/fuel filter. Spin on kind. Had a starting issue earlier this year. Turns out the fuel filter had vibrated loose a little and had lost prime. Took me an hour to find it!
Worth a check (and probably should replace it if you have not already)
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 8:07am
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Speaking of fuel filter. My 93 has a water separator/fuel filter. Spin on kind. Had a starting issue earlier this year. Turns out the fuel filter had vibrated loose a little and had lost prime. Took me an hour to find it!
Worth a check (and probably should replace it if you have not already)

I'll definitely check mine out. I just replaced the filter back in June.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 11:11am
Yikes that means fuel in your bilge
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 3:21pm
Hollywood, the filter was not THAT loose. Mine has the plastic bowl on the bottom with a drain screw. Thought maybe I had some water in it. When I went to loosen the bottom screw, in order to drain it, the whole canister turned easily.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 3:24pm
yeah those filters aren't under pressure and if they are upside down mounted I can see how they could pull in some air and not leak. I wonder if Tim Benjamin has checked the suction side of his fuel lines for air leaks on the 90?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Hollywood, the filter was not THAT loose. Mine has the plastic bowl on the bottom with a drain screw. Thought maybe I had some water in it. When I went to loosen the bottom screw, in order to drain it, the whole canister turned easily.

I have never been able to get the drain screw out! I just remove the whole thing and replace the cartridge and o-rings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic