Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What should I do about my old boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dinocarsfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinocarsfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should I do about my old boat
    Posted: August-26-2014 at 1:49am
So I bought a '65 Barracuda a little more than a month ago that needs some work but I havent touched it yet because I wanted to fix my old boat enough to sell it and get a good price. The boat is a '94 SeaRay bowrider 17ft with a 3.0 mercruiser. I finally got it to a point that I wanted to sell it so I thought I would take it out for a quick spin to test it out. I went to the closest lake knowing that it was not very deep.

I hit a rock hard and idled it immediately and I knew the boat was messed up but I was able to get it to idle back to the dock when I pulled it out of the water I saw that not only was the prop missing a fin but the out-drive was cracked.

What should I do now, sell it as is? or get a alpha one outdrive for it and sell it or wait until next spring and sell it then. My driveway is just about full, I might be able to put it at a friends place.

One thing I need for sure is a boating mentor here. When I grew up my family never had a boat and none of my friends did. When I got my first boat in Connecticut I had a friend that went out with me and taught me a few things but I havent found anyone to help here. I shouldnt have gone on that lake it was an expensive lesson to learn but at least it didnt happen on my Barracuda!!!
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 10:28am
How much is a 94 17' SeaRay worth? How much will it cost for an out drive and prop?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 10:50am
How about a picture of the outdrive's crack? Can it be welded?

If it is the skeg, I would just sell it as is.   
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinocarsfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 11:37am
The outdrive has a crack on one side that leaks and the other side has a chunk that is missing but isnt leaking oil, I will try to upload a photo later, it looks bad. IDK how much it is really worth. I paid 1000 with the trailer but the previous owner was told by the marina that it needed and engine but the engine turned out to be just fine, I also fixed a lot of the interior. I was asking 2800 and would have taken a lot lower. Before the damage and I got a few calls
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 11:46am
awhile back I had to replace my lower unit on a 150hp mercury outboard. I found a place in Florida, I don't remember the name, that built brand new lower units and outdrives and warrantied them for three years. The lower unit was $800.00 which was way cheaper than rebuilding my unit. Not sure what your damage is but if you decide to fix it you may want to find this place. Sorry I can't remember the name of the place, maybe sterndrives.com or something like that.   
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinocarsfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 1:39pm
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 12:15pm
Get a quote on a repair.

or

Find a used lower unit, start at iboats forums.

or

Buy a new knockoff lower unit from SEI
www.sterndrive.cc/about.html
Is your's an Alpha One Gen II?
www.sterndrive.cc/Mercruiser-Alpha-One-Gen-II-Lower-Only.html

or

Sell cheap as is.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 1:13pm
I would ask 2k but willing to take 1700 as is. If not, then keep it until Spring and search for a lower unit. Also depends if you have a storage area to put it in until then. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with everything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinocarsfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Get a quote on a repair.

or

Find a used lower unit, start at iboats forums.

or

Buy a new knockoff lower unit from SEI
www.sterndrive.cc/about.html
Is your's an Alpha One Gen II?
www.sterndrive.cc/Mercruiser-Alpha-One-Gen-II-Lower-Only.html

or

Sell cheap as is.

That is pretty much my plan except I dont really have a place to leave it for the winter yet but I think I could find a place
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 3:15pm
Assuming (Price you might get for the boat)-(Cost of Fixing it)= a fairly low number
You could always make a charitable donation and write it off.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 8:48pm
the donation is probably the best way to go .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 10:24pm
I have to disagree on the donation. I've donated vehicles that I didn't want to repair and I thought maybe a good cause could make a little money on it. But as the one doing the donating, you lose your shirt on the tax deduction--unless you want to lie about the value, which I wasn't about to do.

I would figure out what's a fair price and list it at that "as is", noting in the ad that for $1k more the lower unit will be brand new and the boat in good running order. And then see if there's any interest. Except very few people are looking to buy a boat now, so next spring probably makes more sense. It's not hard to slap on a new lower unit (been there, done that many times). If you sell it really cheap you'll still do better than donating it. If you want the warm fuzzy, then donate.

Keep your eyes open for an older junk boat with a blown I/O engine but working sterndrive that matches yours. Swap the lower unit, give the new buyer the gearcase as a spare.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic