NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

skutsch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:05am
Maybe not, I suspect after this there will be a line to buy him beers at GL this year.   
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:55am
WOW, glad to hear your ok Steve! I can't wait to get an opportunity to meet you Chicago/Milwaukee guys when I get a chance. I'll use a driver every chance I can and sounds like I could learn a lot too.

hope its a fast and restful recovery for you!
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:59am
Steve,
So glad to hear the surgery went well. Know we're all thinking of you and continue to pray for your speedy recovery.

Time to pass on all that skiing heritage to the next generation. Plenty of fun in that! Can't wait to see you back on the water behind the wheel.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 6:09am
Steve, great to hear your now safe and recovering.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 11:16am
Thanks everybody, I have about 10 minutes that I can tolerate being on the computer. Knowing you guys are all behind me is huge - THANKS!

Joel - I am pretty sure we did everything exactly wrong. I probably should not have climbed out the water, I should not have taken the barefoot suit and heater shirt off, and we had a least 3 collars on board and no one thought about putting one of them on. HW, even had one out and was playing with it...

The days since have been really strange, what works one day to relieve the pain exasperates it the next. All very confusing, and I am being ULTRA ULTRA conservative, I am treating my body like a carton of eggs that have visible cracks in the shells, and I still don't know if that is enough. Won't know much more until I go back to the Dr in early Sept.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:40pm
Steve, glad to hear you are doing the best you possibly can considering the circumstances. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Try not to beat yourself up over your decision to ski, could have happened any time or anywhere.

Although I was there I was not in the same boat. It is a miracle that Steve should come out a okay. As he said, nearly everything was done wrong for whatever reason. Climbing in the boat, taking off gear, climbing out of boat, getting in car and driving himself to the hospital. I guess it is hard to know the severity of the injury at the time unless there is a definitive broken bone or blood, it is also hard to determine the best action at the time.

GET WELL STEVE, I'll try to make it out for a visit soon.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:06pm
Years ago I took an OTF in the course, 100% breaking and displacing a rib. The rib looked cartoonishly broken and could have gone on to puncture a lung, etc. Of course I didn't know how bad the injury was so I got up and skied another entire set! Literally not until I saw the X-ray did I think anything major was wrong at the time. Sometimes it takes quite a while for pain to set in after a major injury, apparently.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Climbing in the boat, taking off gear, climbing out of boat, getting in car and driving himself to the hospital.

Nahhhhhhhhh...."It's only a flesh wound!"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:24pm
I just want 2 b clr, I insisted on all those bad decisions, everyone else offered 2drve etc.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Sometimes it takes quite a while for pain to set in after a major injury, apparently.

Often there is an adrenaline rush from the event that can mask the pain and cloud the judgement. As a former paramedic I will confer that Steve did a few things that were not in his best interests. No doubt he had angels watching over him. Thank you angels!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 7:24pm
Steve sorry to hear your mishap. Good you are healing well.

No ski again is terrible, though I guess I prefer that than no walking...

be strong!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:35pm
Ouch, sorry to hear about your injuries. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 6:50pm
Hey guys, just another update. I have been off the pain meds since Sunday and the body is starting to return to normal from all the nasty stuff that pain meds do (mainly to the digestive system)...

No pain from any of the back injury, but I had some pretty serious damage done to my tongue, I think it is from trying to get the breathing tube in. Obviously they had to be very careful doing that due to the damage to the spine. Can't believe how much a busted up tongue impacts your ability to eat, talk, etc.

The last challenge seems to be the ability to sleep, most nights, I sleep about 3 hours and lay awake the rest of the time. That is very frustrating, I am hoping that is also related to the pain meds. Had a little bit of a breakthrough last night, so I hope that is the start of the trend.

Can't believe it is two weeks since it happened, it already seems like a long time ago. Really miss getting out on the water, bummed I am not going to get that last boat ride in (usually around the end of Oct) but thankful for all the other gifts I have been given - definitely a small price to pay.

Also getting tired of sitting around twiddling my thumbs anxious to hear what the doc says next week. Building a list of things I need to get done before winter - Thanks in advance for all the offers of help I know you guys will have. I'll update again next week after the doctors visit. Thanks for all the prayers it has resulted in miracles for me, I can't tell you what that means!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 7:30pm
Great to hear Steve,glad you have a positive outlook. Need help winterizing the boat just holler we could make it a Chicago Beers event!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 7:31pm
Good news! Keep the faith!
Js
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

...we could make it a Chicago Beers event!

That'd be more of a winner than a Chicago Bears event!

Glad to hear you're coming along well, Steve.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 8:55pm
Steve feeling bored is a good sign. You will come through this stronger "mate"
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2014 at 8:42am
Steve, not sure how I missed this earlier on. Certainly we wish you nothing but the best in your recovery.

Al the best,

Greg
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2014 at 1:26pm
Yup, How are you feeling Steve?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2014 at 5:09pm
just went thru here and can't believe I hadn't posted...both to let you know we are thinking of you here and to get the updates.

start planning a little winter trip...get outa the snow and since me and Eddie ski year-round..we could always use another driver. Bring Dad.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 1:04am
Great to hear you are starting to bounce back so soon Steve. Bummer about the tongue. Hopefully that will be pretty short lived. Intubating someone with a neck fracture is far from easy. If speech is hard you could always tell people you just got your tongue pierced . Hang in there and keep us updated. I wish I lived closer and could show up for "winterize Steve's boat beers", sounds like fun.
1987 Ski Nautique

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2014 at 10:42pm
Steve,

Your fast recovery is in my families prayers.

Donald
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 12:25am
Best of luck Steve. Hope you feel better soon.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 2:37pm
Guess, it is time for another update. I had my first follow up visit last week. First of all he indicated that I am healing very well. He even gave me a little bit of hope that I could potentially be out of the brace in 3 more months, instead of his initial assessment of 6 months. Trying not to get excited, but that would be aweseome.

He also reviewed the before and after films. We looked at his handy work first, I now have 2 titanium rods on the left and right side of the back of my spine that span 5 vertebrae (C5 to T2). These rods attach to 4 vertebrae with 4 screws of varying lengths per each rod. The interesting thing I found was that all this hardware will provide little "strength" long term but are only there for stabilization while the bone graphs that were added grow and heal. The bone graphs is what will provide the strength long term.

Then he showed us the before pictures. I have to say, I almost got sick. You could see right away how mangled my spine was. EVERYTHING was out of place. One of my vertebrae was displaced by 40% or more (that doesn't leave a lot room for the ol spinal cord). My wife and I were trying to figure out how I managed to displace all those vertebrae as by design the facets pretty much lock them in place. To put it simply, I sheared the facets right off. All VERY scary pictures to look at.

They also took the stitches or staples, I guess, out and my incision was completely healed (one less thing to have to mess with). Doctor told me I "needed" to get back to work as that (keyboarding) would be good therapy for the loss of strength due to nerve damage (he expects that will be a full recovery). He wants me walking, and has given me a few exercises to keep the shoulders somewhat flexible.

So again, I can't thank everyone enough for all the prayers and thoughts. It has HELPED so much. I have very little pain, just an occasional zinger from the back - I was told to expect those. Of course it always itches right where you can't reach it - so that is annoying. It will be another four weeks til I go back again, so won't have much to update til then. Won't be able to drive til the brace come off, so if your up near SE Wisconsin let me know, would love to have you stop by. THANKS AGAIN!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 2:47pm
You should get a second opinion on the back to work part.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 2:48pm
Thanks for the update, Steve. Glad things are coming along. It's scary to think how much damage can be done on a relatively normal forward BF fall. Certainly has to make one think twice. Sadly, I don't have enough sense to slow down, but I think of you every time I suit up, put on my neck brace and before I try anything of other than normal risk. Hopefully that little bit of extra caution will make the difference some day.

Just have to recollect here, your 247 LLBD attempts in the frigid water last fall. Man, I admire your perseverence.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 3:02pm
Great to hear you're ahead of schedule Stevo and thanks for keeping us updated on the progress. Your brothers here are wishing you the best but you already knew that. What ever it is you're doing ...keep it up!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 3:33pm
Definitely echo Larry's sentiments!! Damn, cannot believe how serious it turned out to be and SO happy for you and the family everything is going to be OK. Another reminder of just how fragile life can be!!

If you need any help with whatever let me know, not sure if a plan is in place to get your boat cleaned up, winterized and ready for hibernation, certainly be glad to assist there as well

Take Care and hope to see you soon Steve!!

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 8:05pm
Dang, just saw this thread....scary stuff...
Steve- So Sorry to hear about your accident but so relieved to hear that you are going to pull through quickly.
Rest up and you'll back at it before you know it.

-Brad
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 9:43pm
Great news Steve.

Keep healing
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic