Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member & New Boat (I hope)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member & New Boat (I hope)
    Posted: August-13-2014 at 2:40pm
Like many new members, I have been watching and learning from this forum for some time now. The amount of information I have been able to gather here has been awesome and has helped me a bunch in being able to survey the last five boats I have looked at. Based our family budget, we have been looking in the 93-98 range in order to stay away from wood, but not get too expensive. That being said, today I decided it was time to officially join as I think I have finally found "The One"

I have found a '95 SN with a Pro Boss GT40, and understand the differences between the GT40 / Pro Boss / Pro Boss GT40 I believe. What I am not sure of is the ignition, and if this boat uses what I have read to be a sometimes problematic Pro Tec system. So, before I put a ring on this girls' finger, I thought I would post that question.

I am a pretty capable guy when it comes to cars and boats, and have done restoration on both, and have also been burned by both. In order to make this a succesful purchase, I think I came to the right place!!

The motor is very clean, and has clearly been well maintained. The rest of the boat is equally clean both inside and out. Seats are great with no rips or tears, and the gelcoat is very nice. From the dry side of the water, I was able to spend about an hour in the boat going through all the basics, and testing all the electrical - lights, radio, blower, bilge, etc.. and all systems are operational. Speedos can be verified when I water test the boat this weekend. I am planning on compression testing the engine after the water test and the owner has agreed to allow me to.

The owner says the packing does have the typical leak which I will also verify once in the water.

All the maintenance is up to date and based on the discussions with the owner, and the survey thus far, I have to believe him. Trailer is in great shape also, and has upgraded LED lights and all the basic tire, greasing, and brake maintenance performed.

We have been looking for a year or so, and now that my other boat is sold, we are looking very seriously. So, I guess I am just looking for anything that may be specific to this year SN and the PCM Pro Boss GT40 ignition or other potential motor "quirks" for this year. If there seems to be anything glaring I am overlooking, any advice would be great for this potential first-time direct drive owner!

We are very excited to own our first inboard as it has been over 25 years since I have been behind one. Can't wait to teach the yougins how to slalom as my dad did with me.

Thanks to all of you in advance.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 2:58pm
I asked the same question about a month ago. Look under common questions, says something about Pro Tec in the title.

And welcome and good luck!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 3:02pm
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34168&title=pro-boss-questions

Here's the "link"
Never post a link the way I just did, a few members go bezerk over it.
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 3:13pm
Yep, I had just seen that. Thanks!

So, it appears that this boat would not be the Pro Tec ignition, so I guess that is a good thing for the most part. I'm just trying to make sure I minimize the possibility of any suprises right up front. I'm sure I will eventually make some upgrades (to my wife's dismay as always) but after laying down the initial coin would like to stay in the black for a while instead of the red!

Anything else to keep my eyes out for???
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34168&title=pro-boss-questions

Here's the "link"
Never post a link the way I just did, a few members go bezerk over it.

FIXED LINK....NEVER DO THAT!

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 3:26pm
The only potential issues with a 95 GT40 are vapor lock and cracked heads. Both rare, but have been documented here.
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 4:01pm
Thanks Hollywood. Cracked heads would not be good - is the problem with a specific head (left or right) and cylinder? That would be something I would at least want to put a visual on if it can be seen with the naked eye. Vapor lock on EFI is pretty rare, so I would not be too concerned with that.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 4:14pm
Usually the water jacket to the outside. Boat will run fine you'll just have some warm water in the bilge. Seems to be a manufacturing issue of that time period.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 4:27pm
Welcome and good luck with your search! I loved our 95. I think she is running around Lake Norman these days? Red and black.
Js
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 4:35pm
Thanks Smithfamily, and I do have my fingers crossed! Lake Norman is beautiful. My neighboor has a daughter there and my uncle considered that location beofre finally going to Smith Mountain lake near Roanoke VA. That's a pretty lake also. We pass over it every year on the way to SC. Someday I'll get down that way and out of the short boating season in Ohio.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 10:40pm
Hi Brett, and welcome to CCF! You'd love a GT-40, tons of power out of the hole and just a good running engine. I just skied on a friend's '97 Ski Nautique 2 days ago and it's a perfect running boat. There are some threads here with GT-40 problems, loping or galloping idle is one that I have in my GT-40 Sport, but I don't find it to be a major problem. You'll find some listing of problems with any engine, and I think most here would agree the GT-40 was an excellent engine package for these boats.

Assuming it has the standard type of shaft log packing, you do want to see a few drips a minute out of it. Only aftermarket dripless packings are supposed to be dry, standard ones are adjusted correctly if they drip.

Go for it! Good luck.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 9:58am
Excellent to hear. I will certainly be going over everything I know to check with a fine tooth comb once I hit the water for the REAL test. And you are correct, every engine has it's quirks, I just want to be sure this one has quirks I can live with. Ford has made that 351 for a long, long time and I actually had one in the past and they do run! That boat should be quite a step up for us from the 170hp I/O that I currently have to ski behind. We are very hopeful this sale works out for us and I can get that 95 on the lift and have some time with it yet this summer and early fall.

Thanks for all the comments and info everyone. I'm all ears!
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 3:10pm
Well, she's even better than expected - It's a Signature Edition to boot! In my driveway and ready to go this weekend! Finally a dream has become reality - My First Nautique!!!! What a beautiful machine.....

-Brett
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 4:42pm
Welcome Brett ,now we need pictures! What a difference between a Nautique and an I/O eh? Good luck with it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 4:49pm
Good news! Let us know how it goes this weekend, a new boat in the driveway is about as good as it gets.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 4:50pm
seriously, lets see some pics

congratulations just the same. people say the two best days of your life...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 11:05pm
I will certainly get some pics on here. Can you upload them from an iPhone or iPad?

Boat ran great when I test drove it. Put it throughout the paces and it performed without a hitch. Everything works, very clean, and I got two covers and two props.

It is a rocket out of the hole, much different than my I/O!!! I am getting a nice wax job on it after the buff job, but it did not need much. She will look like a million bucks on the water this weekend.

The only thing I want to do is tighten up the Morse controller a bit so I don't have to leave my hand on it to keep pressure on the throttle. Got to look into that as it wants to drift back towards the idle position slowly in some spots.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 11:44pm
My throttle does the same thing, I think it is the design intent for safety reasons.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SkiSeneca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiSeneca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 11:31pm
Got to ski behind it this weekend and absolutely love it! I did quite a bit of driving to get to know the boat as well as some low speed maneuvering to understand how it responds in reverse etc.... Really enjoy it and the handling is remarkable. That Pro Boss GT40 moves that hull like a freight train! I'll get some pics up as soon as I get to my regular computer. I can't seem how to do it from the iPhone or iPad.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 2:15am
Can't stop smiling, can you?

How about a few pictures?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic