Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

long time lurker finally gets a CC

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long time lurker finally gets a CC
    Posted: August-13-2014 at 1:06am
I wanted to introduce myself,I found this site many years ago (about 6-7 years ago) and have made it a daily routine of mine to look through many of the topics. Never created a log in because I didn't have anything to add. But Just about three weeks ago I took my wife and two kids up to northern Wisconsin for our first family vacation and had been looking at CL ads in northern Wisconsin for kicks. the exact night we got back home from vacation I happened to look again and came across what looked like a sweet deal and good looking 87' ski nautique that had just posted. called the next day and made an offer $4300. seller called back that night and said it was mine. waited a week till I could drive back to Arbor Vitae,wi to pick up/purchase, take it for a drive (amazing!!!)and ski all before the sun went down. spent the night with aunt and uncle, woke up next morning to do trailer bearings and new tires and drive home for quick weekend! one of the best times of my life! This boat is #7 that I've owned. grew up around being at the lake in northern Wisconsin and boats. I remember looking at either the 86' or 87' correct craft brochure as a kid (20+ years ago)that I probably picked up at the Chicago boat show and falling in love. honestly I didn't think I would be able to get the chance to own one for many years from now (till the kids are older and more financially stable) but my wife said "its something you have always dreamed of Go for it"!
I'll have many questions down the road as the boat is in decent shape for 87' with 806 hrs. but boat and trailer need some TLC, I'll be taking my time to do it right.
Just when I thought I knew quit a bit about Correct crafts by visiting here everyday, boy was I wrong! kind of had to start back a square one once I had the boat in my possession. with every detail and re-reading posts and topics intensely the last two weeks to do research on boat. This site has been a tremendous resource to me so far!
Does anybody in the Chicago area have a recommendation where to go for prop repair? Hit either a log or rock on the Fox River second time out with boat and first time taking the family out! very bad moment!
shaft seems ok and I haven't gotten a chance to check alignment yet. Although my rudder has some movement back and forth, most likely the stuffing box needs to be tightened? Pictures coming soon, thank you to everybody!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 3:45am
Fox Lake Prop, Spring Grove IL. I wouldn't trust anyone else around here. If you need a back up immediately you can borrow mine.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 9:47am
cool thank you for the recommendation! I'm thinking on at least this first time winterizing this fall ill have it done somewhere, Like at Munson's in fox lake (think that's the dealer sells inboards right outside Fox Lake) so when Im up there I will check it out and drop it off. your offer is really appreciated! after my initial test drive after purchasing the boat, I found the orginal Fed 13 prop under the back seat storage. I put it back on last week and didn't seem right, so i went back and found Pete's post about setting a prop correctly. The prop i bent up is an Oj 13 4 blade. I want to get it fixed but no rush as it will be my vacation prop where Im more confident that won't happen again.

working on pictures still!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 10:07am
Don't be afraid of winterizing, it's easy! You will save yourself some big time money doing it yourself. Let us know when your ready and we can help you out. Cripes, I can probably swing by and help you do it the first time. If you have lapped your prop, you can certainly handle winterize. Congrats on your new purchase!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 10:37am
Forget that OJ and pick up a 540 ;). You won't be sorry. Congrats on satisfying your long time need!!
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 10:43am
Steve, thanks for the offer. Thankfully its only August and plenty of warm enough weather I can put that on the back burner. I've always had outboards, so its going to take me a little while to get comfortable with this beast.   You all are amazing. I truly feel blessed to be part of this now.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 10:46am
Joel,
I drive through Spring Grove every day from Bartlett. Let me know and I could always drop off the prop and pick up for you. You just have to get the props to me. Simple from Batavia..

Congrats on the new boat. And yes, winterizing is easy. When your up to it, we can certainly help you through it so you can do it yourself the next time.

Pics when you can !!! again Congrats.

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 11:30am
Congrats on the boat!

I work at O'Hare and live in Milwaukee. I'm always traveling through your area. Give me a call as well if you need some help winterizing.

You know we have to ask for pictures.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 12:00pm
Welcome to the family!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 12:00am
I keep working on the pictures. I resized them and I keep getting a error 505 code when I try and pull them up browsing to post them. says theres a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

any ideas? try photobucket as well...
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 12:27am
what differences would I notice in a 540 to the OJ? called Fox Prop and they estimated it to be about $125 to fix the ss 4 blade, which i thought was really reasonable....

Any suggestions on the rudder movement? Maybe an 1/8" front to back. the mount doesn't move just the rudder. I took the boat back down to the launch last weekend with motor cover off and back floor just to watch it run and check leaks. I need to tighten up the stuffing box on the rudder when I get the chance. Will that suck up the play in the rudder?

once I get my pictures posted I run down my LONG list of things to do, but also notice down at the boat launch that one of my mufflers has pin holes on the top and leaking. I read somewhere I can fix that with fiberglass, what is the best cloth weight to fiberglass over that with?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 12:35am
Cloth weight doesn't matter just get it sealed.

The rudder play doesn't concern me. Is the steering smooth at all speeds?

I wouldn't run a SS prop on the chain. Hitting something again could do more damage to your power train instead of just the prop. A nibral OJ Legend would be my choice.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 12:46am
yeah i was really impressed with the steering. My uncle said it best "its like driving a vette"! What i don't remember was if that play was there before I hit something, so it had me nervous.

That's what I'm thinking, use the FED stock prop when I'm on the river or lakes in the area and only use the 4 blade for vacation in Wisconsin when I know we will be doing a lot more sking.

Fox chain? Never been on it and I don't see myself ever wanting to (way to busy). I go on the Fox River down by Batavia and St.charles. interested to try the Rock River soon. In dash depth finder on my list as well.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:01am
Kids are back to school today, 3 o'clock ish just me and two sheriff's boats out by Algonquin.Up the river about a mile were 2 paddle boarders out. Turned around before I got to them didn't want to ruin their flat water.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:03am
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:16am
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:18am
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:22am
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:26am

Buy first and figure out storage later! Had to build an addition on my "shed" to fit the nautique inside!
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:31am
Nice lookin boat!! I just bought my SN 2001 last weekend and just got my Acme 540 yesterday, i just had a stock 13x13 3 blade that was a little chewed up so im anxious to try it out and see what i end up with- it seems like alot of people have recommended the acme 540 for this boat, must be pretty decent :) Congratulations!
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:33am

This was my first boat. bought it for $200 12 years ago and pretty much saved it from the burn pile. Too much time and money went into this one. just let it go last year but this is what my shed was built for storing when we bought our house
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:40am
Jordan-thanks and congrats to you, I saw your post on your new 2001. a true time capsule. really nice

Gary- maybe I need to re-think the chain....

chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:45am
wow that looks like a pretty cool old boat!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:48am
Well the weekends are rough and you have to buy a waterway sticker. You can get a one day sticker reasonably and would be worth it for a change of pace.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Nwtique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nwtique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 3:50am
Nice looking boat you got there Joel, welcome aboard!
99 Super Sport Nautique
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 8:42am
Welcome aboard! Good looking SN! Best of luck with it. A real easy way of "winterizing", is bring it to me for the winter!! Haha
Js
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 8:51am
Good to see you upgraded from lurker to Ski Nautique owner!
Welcome to the site
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 9:14am
Swany, welcome to the club, nice boat.

Lower Fox at Batavia St Charles is scary to me, especially now with low water. You might be glad you don't have a depth gauge LOL.

I live in Big Rock just a couple towns west of you so if you can wait until end of October to winterize you can haul it to my place and we'll do yours same time I put mine away.   It's not a big deal and winterizing is a good way for a newbie to be familiar with their boat.

As others have suggested you'll want to invest in a 540, best money you could spend on that boat.   
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 10:02am
I would be a fool to pass up the offers for help winterizing, thanks guys.
alan- the river has been really low for sure. Guess I'm saying I'm used to going there with other boats I've had. Its close and cheap. Going farther up to Algonquin for example probably take at least an hour with traffic. Might as well go to delevan or the twin lakes. I love lake Geneva but just too rough and busy for this boat. Same time I probably need to come to the realization I just need to stay away from the river its too risky.
ill post more pics after work tonight. The interior (carpet and upholstery) are in good shape. The hull needs buffing, there's alot of oxidation. Teak all needs to be taken off and oiled. The pictures make it look better than in person.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 10:24am
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

alan- the river has been really low for sure. Guess I'm saying I'm used to going there with other boats I've had. Its close and cheap. Going farther up to Algonquin for example probably take at least an hour with traffic. Might as well go to delevan or the twin lakes. I love lake Geneva but just too rough and busy for this boat. Same time I probably need to come to the realization I just need to stay away from the river its too risky.

I used to boat on the Fox but now go to the Illinois in Morris. Besides the low water don't they charge $20 to put in at Boy Scout park if you're from out of town? Next time we're headed to the Illinois I'll shoot you a PM and maybe we could show you around down there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic