NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another needless tubing tradgedy

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another needless tubing tradgedy
    Posted: August-07-2014 at 10:27pm
How many bad calls by how many different people did it take to come to this ending? Very sad.

16-year-old girl dies after struck by boat propeller in Connecticut
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 10:32pm
I saw something about this on the news out of the corner of my eye tonight, are there any more details? it had to be an outboard right? and how many rpm did it have to be spinning to pull two people into the prop before they had a chance to bail out? or was it in reverse maybe?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 11:05pm
You can't pull someone into a prop by coiling up the ski line around the prop of either an outboard or inboard, it will either get into gap between the gear housing and prop, or prop and strut and stall the motor, or just shred the line. You can bet it was an accident that happened as the driver was coming back around to pick up the girls in the water.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 12:51am
It was a 21 foot Wahoo with 200 hp outboard. Nothing any of us would not allow an experienced 16 year old to operate.

Before we make any judgment, as I grew up in the next town up the Sound (Stamford), thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. All of the Long Island Sound shoreline towns in Fairfield County CT (and on up the line to RI) comprise a thriving commercial and recreational maritime community, and typically any kid who grows up on the sound-side of 95 knows what's what, particularly a kid from Old Greenwich. A nicer waterfront community you will never find....

Time will tell, but I'd chalk this up to an error which resulted in a tragic accident. My friend was the previous Commodore of the Old Greenwich Yacht Club where it happened, if I hear anything further I will let you know.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 9:38am
I'm guessing they were in close proximity to the boat when this happened. (Ie probably getting in or out of tube with motor running and rope coiled up in water instead of in the boat. Or perhaps they just got into tube and driver was pulling away when rope got caught. Sad reminder to us all that complacency kills. *************** happens fast, Be safe out there.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 10:40am
I was at a boat ramp once when a (I/O) boat came in with similar accident. They were circling back (must have been close) & the rope sucked the tube into the prop. The rider had really bad leg cuts.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 10:51am
The article I read on this tragedy simply said the driver circled back to pick up the riders and hit them. Did she circle back to the right so she could see her riders or to the left? I'm also envisioning that big 21 foot boat with the bow to the sky, she probably lost sight of them for just a second and that's all it takes. Bunch of kids just having fun but I have to question whether they really should have been running that boat alone.

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 11:49am
I hate to read these kind of things. Start young teaching kids good boat sense. I think it is when I started footing and hanging around footers on the river that we just naturally figured best to pick up down skiers etc at idle speed only.. give skier break, water settles, MUCH safer, and regardless of trust... nobody like a boat coming at them fast or pushing rollers.

mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 12:32pm
CT is one of those states that has a safe boating certification course for people under 16. Its a requirement for operating a power boat in the waters in and around the state. Don't know how effective the course is or isn't, but at least its something. They were probably being alot more safe right up to the point of the accident than I was at their age, but it only takes that half second for something to go terrible wrong, when your dealing with something that doesn't have brakes, and spinning metal blades on it. The three other girls will probably never be able set foot in a small boat again because of that 1/2 second lapse.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 12:34pm
I think I'm a very cautious person. The main mistake made is the downed skiers (well tuber) was not in the drivers eye sight. If the downed person is in the drivers eyesight it's impossible to run them over in my opinion. The speed at which you approach a downed skier is debatable in my eyes. I have my wife and father pick me up at skiing speed as we have a severe gator issue in our chain and healthy gators will not approach a running boat so I want that boat and rope near me. I don't think the fact that they're 16 had much to do with it IF they were raised in a strict marine environment as might've been suggested. I know around 12/13 we were off in 17' outboards and Correct Crafts on our own, skiing and etc in the summer time until our parents came home and the biggest accident we might've had was coming home past curfew. Sadly this is a tragedy that could've been avoided and despite the age. The driver will be tormented for the rest of her life.

For those of you who have kids, take them every time u go out, make them do things on the boat as far as mooring and etc. have them drive most of the time. Hell, you're in your 40's or so, you drove enough so have the kids get accustomed to the boating world. By 16 they can be no doubt safe responsible drivers.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 1:00pm
Todd.. It is unlawful to feed gators in florida I thought..

When I was skiing down there I was told gators aren't like crocs and are afraid of people... of course when I got back home and googled it I found that the avg age of persons attacked by gators in FL was 34

I have hurried back to skiers if a boat was approaching my downed skier but in general I troll back in gear.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

When I was skiing down there I was told gators aren't like crocs and are afraid of people

They are but every few years a few people get eaten and I'm not going to give them a prime opportunity.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 4:34pm
I have never heard of a water skier getting eaten by an alligator.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 6:24pm
That is a tragedy. As far as the average age of person being bit in florida that seems a bit low considering almost every person is pushing 70 around here. Cotton mouths are much more a concern.
Lakedog55
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 7:24pm
Bears too
This is the life
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 6:07am
Gators and cottonmouths, you guys are insane. Maybe the winters aren't so bad up here...
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 7:52am
Cotton mouths are in the weeds. 78% of my skiing is out of the weeds so I'm not too concerned there.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 10:03am
Yikes, I am pretty cautions when approaching skiers. If I don't need to be back quickly I just idle back. If it's busy and there is the threat of someone running over my down skier I am back and in protect skier mode quickly.

I still think it's stupid that because you have a drivers license for a car that means you can get into and drive a boat if you have never set foot in one before.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 10:44am
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Gators and cottonmouths, you guys are insane. Maybe the winters aren't so bad up here...

See if any of these posts sound familiar:
How do I winterize my boat?

Or my personal favorite... The worst day of the year today. Put the boat into storage for the next FIVE MONTHS.

Lest we forget this one...You guys need to keep posting pics. This cabin fever sucks and I still have three months before I get the boat out of storage.

And then to nicely round things out...The boat overheated when I took it out of storage yesterday. What should I look at first?

I just smile every time I see these same posts over, and over, and over, and.....well you get the idea.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 1:51pm
By the way. Central Florida is home to probably 95% of the worlds best skiing schools. Doesn't matter what skiing regimen you want. It's not known as the waterski capital of the world because of gators and snakes. Like HW pointed out, I've never heard of a waterskier getting bitten,eaten, killed or chewed on by any animal or reptile.
Yes, people have been attacked, but more often than not its because they've been stupid and there are a lot of them down here.
Remember Forrest Gump. Stupid is as stupid does.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 2:17pm
Most people from up north don't like the thought of swimming with gators and poisonous snakes because we don't have them up here. I think the thought of moccasins is a lot more troubling to me than alligators. Seems like every picture of a lake down there I've seen has grass along the shore. Do you guys see moccasins much and how do you contend with them?
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 2:23pm

Here's one caught on video...
Alligator Attacks Water Skier
http://youtu.be/ljc8WzRDMn8

And talk about a big critter...
http://youtu.be/6iSV7vYqv-M
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 2:25pm
I'd guess that most of the attacks are cause some guy went after a little $3 white ball that got sliced into a gator infested water off a manicured lawn that was being chased by a cart with overweight guys dressed in collared shirts and bermuda shorts that makes little to no noise...
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Here's one caught on video...
Alligator Attacks Water Skier
http://youtu.be/ljc8WzRDMn8

And talk about a big critter...
http://youtu.be/6iSV7vYqv-M

I've heard that might happen to you at some ski schools if you ask about gators.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 3:11pm
Geez guys, give you an inch and ya take a mile. Nobody said gators eat skiers but they sure as hell eat swimmers. This month central Florida had a swimmer attacked and I believe fatal. And once you drop, you're not exactly a skier.... And this year twice I skied on top of a gator, less than 5' from me. Cotton mouths are a concern of mine at the shoreline especially when loading but they won't usually cross open water like a gator does.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 3:25pm
I've seen a few water moccasins in the canals we drive through. I almost stepped on one when trying to board our boat that was against the shore at my buddies house. I could barely see it in the grass. It was a baby and we just moved it along with the help of an oar.

Way more worried about moccasins than I am gators.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2014 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Todd.. It is unlawful to feed gators in florida I thought..

When I was skiing down there I was told gators aren't like crocs and are afraid of people..

this is exactly what we tell everyone who comes down here in the winter to ski with us.....have yet to have someone look around..and refuse to get in the water. Must be something about calm water..air temps in the 70's and sunshine.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2014 at 8:07pm
How do we deal with snakes a gators?
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2014 at 8:15pm
Lakedog55
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 8:58pm
I think the best way to deal with the gators is to get them to only attack boats other than Correct Craft. Here is a program I started to get the gators used to Ski Centurions:

1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic