NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wanted 88 BFN pictures

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted 88 BFN pictures
    Posted: July-31-2014 at 9:49pm
I am re-decaling my BFN and if anyone having an 88 BFN would be kind enough to take some straight on photos of the decals on the hull sides and the stern that i would be able to determine measurements and be able to digitize from. full view and close ups of letters if possible. I know its a lot to ask but figured someone might just find the time to do so. mine did not have factory graphics on them and i was unable to determine accurate measurements from what was there.
These decals are proving hard to find, and the ones i have seen seem to be of questionable quality.
Feel free to email them to Mielcarz11@gmail.com or post up.
-Tony
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:29pm
Your going to try to digitize these?

The are from Nautique parts, and cost around 189 bucks for the side decals available in white black and grey. The transom and 2001 decals are only available in white though, they are another 70 and 90 bucks respectively.

I can snap some pictures tomorrow if you want.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 1:52am
that would be great if you could do that, at your leisure of course.
I have seen them at nautique parts and to be honest i'm weary of the finish and what it looks like.
are yours a gloss finish or matte/flat?
i would like to be able to customize the color also so it kind of leaves me to get them done myself.
it actually isn't hard to digitize them its more the time involved to do so.
and If i have to i will trace each letter node for node till i get it correct. thats why i asked for straight on photos.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:36am
Even a straight on photo won't do it. They will be off. Trace them from someone's boat or buy what is already available.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 10:50am
Yep, its the whole curved thing on a flat surface, so the letters are designed to go on the continuous curve of the hull, when you take a picture, which then becomes "flat" you lose the design elements that allow it to go around the curved hull. Best to trace it or purchase. The ones Zach has at N3 Boatworks are what they used at the factory.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 12:48pm
Also, those were screen printed on a clear adhesive film. No way you could cut all those squares with a vinyl cutter.
Tim D
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 1:19pm
I would say mine are gloss finish. Everyone else is right, they do curve around the hull, and they are slightly smaller at the forward end of the decal on each side to fit in the stripe, they are left and right side specific both due to the size differences and the angle of the lettering.

These are closeups of the little squares taken with my phone this morning, had to make them smaller to attach here. The little white checks are on a clear vinyl layer separate from the stripes going around the perimeter, ie you can peal the solid stripes off and leave just the checked sections. The color between the checks and the lines is the hull. I'll go out an burn off some high res ones with a real digital camaera this evening when i get home and see if I can get them up on my google drive.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 1:38pm
The original 88 decals have the shadow being a stand alone piece, as mark is indicating. Those seem to be exact 88 style replacements. Hard to tell though from his resolution and on my phone screen. The "88" [transom] decals I got from Zach at N3 have both the letter and shadow behind one overlapping piece of clear, instead of the clear exactly outlining the letter and the shadow basically it's own solid white decal. The overlapping clear was actually a factory change for the 89 and 90 decals. I suppose it was simpler for Zach's decal guy to reproduce the 88s in the same fashion as the 89s and 90s. The look good and actually are less prone to pulling up at the corners.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Yep, its the whole curved thing on a flat surface, so the letters are designed to go on the continuous curve of the hull, when you take a picture, which then becomes "flat" you lose the design elements that allow it to go around the curved hull. Best to trace it or purchase. The ones Zach has at N3 Boatworks are what they used at the factory.

Or maybe flat thing on a curved surface, but either way don't end up being one of these...

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:20pm
With the hull having compound curves, horizontally and vertically, taking photos will not give you exactly what is on the boat.
Tim D
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2014 at 8:09pm
NAUTIQUEPARTS.COM has the decals

Barefoot side decals
Use 1988 Ski nautique for the "2001" and the rear

The "bare feet" on the right are not available as i know it .

1986 Ski nautique 351
1988 Barefoot nautique 454
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic