Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'79 Ski Tique Overhaul, Stringers, Motor, Etc.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '79 Ski Tique Overhaul, Stringers, Motor, Etc.
    Posted: July-31-2014 at 8:36am
Purist need not go any further.

The Boat(s):

- ’79 Ski Tique: Frozen / cracked block 302, shaudy pressure treated floor reinforcement, modified pylon mount, mid 80's style paint job and a few other less than classy modifications.

-’83 Nautique: Totaled by tree, good 351, ok swim platform & a hand full of other usable parts.

The Plan:

Turn lemons into lemonade. Sell all the good parts off the Nautique to fund the project, rehab the non-CC trailer, Re-string / reinforce the hull, build a new floor, install the cradle and 351, prop it to pull like a bulldozer, and build a badass rat-rod ski boat.

Now before I get shunned understand they were BOTH on their way to the junk yard before I intervened. One ugly duckling is better than 2 in the crusher.

It's my pleasure to formally introduce you to project "In-Correct Craft"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 8:57am
Whether it's moving the boat around the yard or to the lake a reliable trailer is key. For that reason I decided to kick the project off with the trailer rebuild.

Frame: Welded and reinforced joints, gussets on prop guard, new leaf springs & hangers.

Axle: All new; I picked up a make-an-axle kit and welded up my own. New bearings and spindles.

Electrical: No more messing around with bulbs, LED's all around. New tail lights and my favorite feature, the loading light.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 9:42am
Stringers:

"Wait, the deck screws & pressure treated boards arn't factory..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:03am
Motor:

'83 Nautique 351w - Test 1

'83 Nautique 351w - Test 2

Still to do:
Clean and paint the pullies
Install new plugs & wires
Change oil in both engine & tranny
Remove, retap and install new drain plugs
Install new belts
Rebuild the raw water pump
Plumb in new raw water hose with sherwood strainer

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:00am
looks like you lost the drop axle, can you mount the straight axle on the top of the springs to lower the trailer back down where it should be? The fender clearance doesn't look right.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:05am
Quite the project...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:42am
Tracking fin won't clear otherwise. So what do you do? Drop or modify/swap fenders?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 1:00pm
Yeah that fender height is whoa!!

If that loading light is low enough and angled right it might be ok. My .02, loading lights work best on the guide poles facing forward to avoid the light shining in your eyes and blinding you.

Hope to see this boat get salvaged. Doing the 351 is ok but try and keep gel colors/font/upholstery to original specs and I don't think you'll catch too much slack.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Tracking fin won't clear otherwise. So what do you do? Drop or modify/swap fenders?

I'd have to see it in person but that boat is sitting pretty high on those bunks. Fin might clear when the trailer is actually backed in the water and on an angle, can't tell from here. If he can't drop the axle then fender alterations would be next but the trailer got fresh paint so I'd leave that for the last alternative.

anyway, Good luck with the project, looks like fun.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 3:10pm
Id go with some monster mudder 32's, that should take up the difference
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:43pm
When I reattached the fenders I was still planning on using the drop axle. It was a last minuet decision to go with the straight axle instead. With only 4" of ground clearance the drop axle would have planed off every man hole cover and frost heave in New England. I was hoping to flip the axle over the leaf springs, but it was too close to the skeg so I said the heck with it for now. Once the interior and motor are back in I'll adjusting accordingly.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 12:48am
Neat project, good luck with it. Any plans to add power to the 351?

Surprised nobody mentioned the Fram filter yet.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic