Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why don't you participate in 3-event disciplines?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why don't you participate in 3-event disciplines?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 11:30am
On my lake waterskiing became a victim of its own success. In the 70’s there was an active ski club, bunch of mastercrafts, regulation jump, and two courses typically in the water.   As a very young kid I would stop and stare and want to learn to ski. By the time I finally got up on them skis in 83 the guy who owned one of the mastercrafts, the jump, and the course was building a private pond.   7 ponds were built within an hour of me in the early 80s, they had tournaments got more serious and I am sure had a great time. But out of sight, out of mind, the lake ski club was abandoned, the next generation wasn’t out in fields that those ponds were built in so now there aint a whole lot of nothing going on in most of them… used 2-3 times per week by aging owners or maybe their kids.   I have been lucky enough to teach hundreds of kids to ski (although I probably took thousands tubing so I am a big net negative).   The truth is that serious 3 event skiing is not something financially available to most of the population, and therefore isn’t easy to share, as Alan points out anything that you can do with a regular crew of like minded folks to push each other, encourage each other, teach each other, that is what you are going to get the most out of..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 11:30am
We lost our lake this year. (not that I still visited much). Skiing on my lake is free ski only and needs to take place before 8 am.

It's hard to talk people into getting up to ski that early especially if they A) aren't into it that much and B) can't do it.

The easy sports are what people like. I had my buddy out on the boom learning to foot this last weekend and he was fairly unsuccessful but I kept telling him that if it were easy you would see more people doing it.

If we had a course nearby that wasn't a ton of money you would see me skiing it most mornings.

I have been more into footing lately because it requires an OK driver and nothing besides some smooth water, a boat, and a suit.

I can't ride a trick ski anything but straight and I was never that fond of jump (Although I can land if need be).

The wakeboard and wakesurf lifestyle these days with the boats and skill required to actually get up allows more people to have a good time on the water all day VS just in the morning and trying for hours and only failing.

Alan talked about fun on the water with skis, I still think it would be cool to revive me idea of a fun tournament with old skis and old boats.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 12:13pm
I think it's great when you can get together with some like minded folks. Which reminds me to add my name to the roster for the CT Mini Reunion.

Some of my enthusiastic ski buddies are my two older cousins who are only up a couple weekends a summer.

My cousin Kevin, who's probably the best, is only really up 4th of July weekend and maybe Labor Day Weekend, which is of course the very worst water. He'll always just see how long he can ride the ski, no matter how bad the water is. Which is kind of funny, through rollers and everything, not necessarily taking a lot of cuts but just going for distance.

It's kind of a fun idea, "Endurance Freeride Roller Slalom." I've lately taken to that too, it seems to be good for general ski conditioning if nothing else and is kind of fun if you have 2 or 3 skiers that want to "compete."
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 3:58pm
This is a really interesting discussion.

I grew up skiing on a course on weekend mornings that we would put in and out. Eventually some of the guys I skied with started a show team. There was a point where I was skiing the course and show skiing at the same time. Learning the course really helped my show skiing. Anybody can drag like a brick behind the boat.

Eventually I got tired of show skiing so I put a plan together to put the course in with our show team again. They wouldn't have anything to do with slalom skiing because they were "competition show skiers"....blaahh. Of course nobody understood how learning how to slalom ski (in a course with a goal) makes you a great show skier.

So a few of us started another club and went through the hurdles to get a course on our public lake. It wasn't too hard to do, just took some time for research and a well written document.

Our course is probably one of the nicest ones in the state that is public.

At this point I have access to private water. 50/50 private/public split skiing. To be honest I don't think our public course will be there much longer. Its not because other boats ruin the course, its not because the course cannot be maintained...but more because I can't keep the club solvent with the high insurance costs.

Food for thought.

Tim Cochrane
Chippewa Lake Ohio

Tubing Sucks.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

My dream is to build a lake - but with three kids, maybe I'll get to it in my 70's.

Any investors out there???

That's exactly what a college buddy of mine did. But he didnt build it, he bought it, an old sand pit about an hour north of Chicago. I mentioned this in a thread here way back in 2007 and some of the Chicago boys had heard of it....Clear Lake Ski Club in Volo/McHenry. My friend went through all the frustrations of trying to set a course on public lakes and gave up. He pulled together some investors and did the ski community thing, 10 or 12 home lots and the lake. Guess its a pretty nice set up.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

My dream is to build a lake - but with three kids, maybe I'll get to it in my 70's.

That's exactly what a college buddy of mine did. But he didnt build it, he bought it, an old sand pit about an hour north of Chicago. I mentioned this in a thread here way back in 2007 and some of the Chicago boys had hear of it....Clear Lake Ski Club in Volo/McHenry. My friend went through all the frustrations of trying to set a course on public lakes and gave up. He pulled together some investors and did the ski community thing, 10 or 12 home lots and the lake. Guess its a pretty nice set up.

Just skied there yesterday with Brooks and KC Wilson. It is an amazing site to ski. Perfect setups both ways in a beautiful high-end subdivision.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 1:30am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

That's exactly what a college buddy of mine did. But he didnt build it, he bought it, an old sand pit about an hour north of Chicago. I mentioned this in a thread here way back in 2007 and some of the Chicago boys had heard of it....Clear Lake Ski Club in Volo/McHenry. My friend went through all the frustrations of trying to set a course on public lakes and gave up. He pulled together some investors and did the ski community thing, 10 or 12 home lots and the lake. Guess its a pretty nice set up.

The lake just to the south of the lake circled in red is leased by a lady that runs a ski club. Short of owning a private lake, belonging to a ski club is the next best thing. Drive to lake, change into ski gear, ski, change, drive home. You have a driver, Ski Nautique, course, and private lake. I belonged to that club for a number of years. Not cheap. By the time you paid the annual club dues, and the individual set costs, it could get a bit pricey. But, for all the things you get if you are a die hard slalom course skier, probably fairly cheap.

I have been getting my skiing thrills behind the old Southwind the past couple of years just being happy getting out on the combos. It ain't hard core slalom, but, it's all I have right now. I have gotten really good skiing through 3' swells on very busy public lakes on Saturdays and Sundays with the wind howling at 40 mph.

Next week, my son and I are going to stay in the Delavan and Lake Geneva areas to try to get some good week day glass. If anybody wants a tug, or to grab a beer apres ski, let me know. Would be glad to have you out. You have not experienced slalom ecstasy until you have skiied behind a Southwind.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 4:22pm
David- Laurie's Quarry.

We have lots of water and lots of buoys in this area, public and private.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic