Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thunk, boat starts filling with water, no start.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thunk, boat starts filling with water, no start.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thunk, boat starts filling with water, no start.
    Posted: July-26-2014 at 11:17pm
So, I start to accelerate with my two boys on the boom. There is a loud thunk at the back of the boat. The engine is running fine. I shut it down to jump in and check the prop. The prop is fine. I try and start it up, runs like dog doo, then will not start. I lift the lid, and I am taking on water. It appears I am taking on enough water that both bilge pumps are just staying even. I get it on the trailer, and pull the back plug, and leave bilges running and the water feels pretty warm coming out of the drains. Prop appears fine, and while the back of the boat was still pretty heavy with water, I did not see water coming out of the cutlass bearing or rudder packing. Could I have lost a cooling line? Exhaust line? Why would the engine start running bad?
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
skidiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skidiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 12:01am
Check your muffler, don't know the year of your boat but bet it has cracked. Easy fix most of the time, just patch with fiberglass. This could cause water to come in fast if your exhaust flaps do not seal well.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 12:25am
I'm thinking that too how else could you get that much water in that fast. Tubing karma----- I wonder if that thunk was a backfire
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 9:13am
OK, I am going out to check the muffler. Tubing Karma! LOL! I love that. So just an update on the tube situation with the nephew and niece--we did get them up on kneeboard and ski trainers. We told them they could not tube until they did each. Sadly, I think they still like tubing better. We had half the ski team out on 3 tubes last week, and I think they liked it because they are early teens-pre dating age, and they were able to jump from tube to tube and "interact" with the opposite sex way more than if they were on skis. Of course, if there was any chance of too much "interaction" I could throw them outside the wake and accelerate in a hard turn throwing the offending individual off the tube.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 10:48am
Hull Hugger baffle blockage may have been the cause of noise but that does not explain the water unless it either blew a hole in the hull hugger muffler or piping.

Hull Hugger Problem 1

Hull Hugger Problem 2
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 3:13pm
Thanks for the great info. Ok, yes, the Centex Hull Hugger muffler was blown apart because the baffles came apart and wedged themselves into the 4" exhaust port. The crack was pretty big. I have looked at the y option, the glass repair option and wanted to verify the "new" option. Does this look like the right one?
Hull Hugger
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 10:06am
So here is what I decided. The crack on this thing went slightly more than half way around the muffler, and the crack branched off. I sanded and cleaned it with acetone, and glassed it with fiber mat vs woven, and it looks pretty good, but I see it as a disaster waiting to happen if it fails again. It is not just a rub spot or small hole. I also was not able to glass it from the inside, so I think I am just going to bite the bullet and buy a new muffler. Sigh.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 10:41am
Personally, I would get the Y-adapter. Would sound cooler and no chance of ever happening again.
The tubing gremlins will for sure blow out one of the new baffles sooner or later just like this one.

Just sayin'.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 10:55am
Just be careful with more than one person on the tube when it comes to throwing them off. A couple of years ago, my wife's cousin was thrown off (not my boat) and she hit her chin on the another person's shoulder while falling off and broke two teeth.
Tim D
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 11:13am
Yes, Quite easy to clunk heads also.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 11:59am
+1 on the Y-Pipe.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 9:24pm
Well the Y-pipe will have to wait 15 years or so. I just picked up a Hull Hugger after getting a great deal from Zach at N3 Boatworks. I bought it through him and picked it up at the CC factory near the Orlando airport. I need the boat tomorrow for ski practice. The wife had a vote, and opted for quiet. In 15 years, when this one blows out, I will be closing in on 70, so I wont be able to hear it anyway.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 10:26pm
Dang! So what is the trick to getting said muffler back into place? The math does not seem to be working out.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 12:31am
Math as far as distances from motor to muffler and muffler to transom or diameter of the tubes?
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 11:00am
Hey Brian,
The math involved is squeezing the muffler back into its 3 rubber exhaust tubes. They are not cooperating.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 11:02am
soap, hose pullers, ear muffs for the kids.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 11:17am
Hair drier or heat gun

Joe left out the grease family: crisco, dielectric, plumbers
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 12:31am
OK, its back in and it ran fine. It was not fun, but the slippery stuff helped. Thanks everyone.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic