Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Long Running Stalling then No Start Issue - GT40
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Running Stalling then No Start Issue - GT40

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
StevoDevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevoDevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2014 at 12:59pm
So here is the EEC connector I have - which of the connectors does the cable I'm going to make go into?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by StevoDevo StevoDevo wrote:

So here is the EEC connector I have - which of the connectors does the cable I'm going to make go into?

Picture?????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2014 at 1:26pm
Your looking at the wrong side look at the female side as in the earlier picture then with the long side down and the small side up the right corner should be the female side of the double green & orange wire.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 11:33am
Any updates on a fix??
StevoDevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevoDevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 8:46pm
Hey Gun-Driver

No progress has been made unfortunately! We have had a week of rain here in Oregon!

Couple of questions:

1) What does STO stand for?
2) I'm ready to make the cable but wanted to know what amperage fuse you use?

Then I guess the plan of attack is as follows:

1) Get back out on the lake & play hard all morning long
2) Have a nice relaxing lunch (but open the engine cover)
3) Try an afternoon run

If the engine fails, I just want to confirm I'm going to do the right tests:

1) Connect cable to STO
2) Key ignition on and test for fuel pressure
3) Do I try to start with the cable connected to the STO?

I probably need to check for spark too - what's the easiest way to do that? Should I buy a timing light?

Thanks!

Steve
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by StevoDevo StevoDevo wrote:

Should I buy a timing light?

Thanks!

Steve

Yes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 1:50am
In line spark testers can be useful too, because you can leave it in place:

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 7:52am
Heat soak problems hey Paul and Steve. Been there before myself they can be confusing.

Test for spark when the heat soak problem is there if spark is OK. Zone in on the fuel system pumps running, plenty of fuel pressure while cranking without start?

The fuel pump relay is activated by the ECM completing the circuit by supplying the ground (pin 52 on ECM connector). You can leave the STO jumpered to ground and the fuel pumps should run all the time. If intermittent you can leave this jumper in place and rule out problems with the ground supplied by ECM when it is in the heat soak condition.

There is one other possibility now in that if it has spark and fuel pressure but still will not start. It may not be getting the spark at the correct time or the injectors not firing properly. This could then be a ECM (Computer) heat soak problem.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
StevoDevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevoDevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 1:30pm
Okay I got the cable all built and ready to go out today! When I had the ignition turned on and cable connected, I could hear a pump running - so that's a good sign right?! :)

I'm still not sure how to check for spark - I did buy a timing light, but really don't know how to use that to test for a spark condition. I also have my fuel pressure tester ready to go again today!

Will let you know how things go today!

Steve
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2014 at 12:25am
You can test spark by getting tester like Brian said or in a pinch crank the engine and hold one plug anywhere to the metal one the engine . Crank and look for spark.
PT Skier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PT Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2014 at 12:07pm
4 years ago I had a problem with my engine that matches exactly what you described.

After running with the boat for some time (enough to raise the engine temperature to normal levels), if I turned it off I couldn't start it once again. Then I found out that if I waited long enough in order the temperature to fall I was able to start the engine once again. After some discussions we found out that if we were able to cool down the fuel pumps the engine would restart normally (we used a sponge with cold water from the river to test this).

At the end, and after replacing both high and low pressure fuel pumps I never experienced that problem again.

Not a very technical input but just to report my experience. Hope it helps.
Ski Nautique 196 OB (1995)
PCM Pro-Boss GT-40 Multiport EFI 5.8L 310hp
750 hours
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 3:25pm
I have been fighting the same problem about stalling for a year. It finally stopped completely. I put in a new low pressure pump and it started in the driveway! Can't wait to get to the lake this weekend. I believe the problem has been solved.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 10:24am
Gary, hope you found the fix! Let us know how the lake test goes.
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2014 at 7:10pm
Boat ran great this weekend. No stalling issues for the first time in a year. Appears the low pressure pump was going bad for a long time and finally died. Life seems much better when you can trust your boat!
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 9:48am
Awesome
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 9:57am
Thanks' Jose (PT Skier) for your post as well. I've added both yours and Gary's to the GT40 thread.
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 2:57am
I had similar problems last year, and found leaving the motor cover opened after a round of skiing prevents the problem. especially on really hot days... now I think I will change the low pressure pump (after I figure out where it is:~) after the season is over...early October here in North Idaho.
Great discussion.
Thanks
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 9:48am
I would run the blower frequently and leave the motorbox cover up to let it cool. When it did stall, I would pour lake water on the pump and it would decrease the time of the stall. Wish I would have changed the pump sooner. I believed it was vapor lock but it wasn't.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 12:03pm
Mine has never stalled, but it has refused to start after sitting while waiting for next 'set'. I too have used the wet rag technique. A low pressure pump for me! Are they difficult to install?
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 2:00pm

Actually, mine did not stall. It would run great until I stopped for an extended time. Then it would start and run about 100 yards and die. The pump is easy to install. Three screws on the top and reconnect the fuel lines. I used teflon tape on the fittings. If I can install it, anyone can!
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 4:08pm
Thanks for the confidence builder...I need it! " If I can install it, anyone can!" -hopefully I won't prove you wrong!!
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 4:20pm
Let me know how it works out
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
StevoDevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevoDevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 5:06pm
Thanks guys - so where is this low pressure pump located and just what does it look like? Pictures help! :)
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 6:17pm
I don't have access to post pics at this time, however, I am sure someone will later. Looking at the front of the engine it is a small bowl that is suspended below the alternator belt pulley...that is the lower right hand side. It is a round cylinger about 6 inches long and attaches from the top with 3 small nuts. There is a electrical cable coming from it and the fuel line that goes up into the FCC. Hope this helps.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 6:44pm
From another thread, he was asking "is this the pump?", the answer was that, that was in fact it:
StevoDevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevoDevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 10:17pm
Very cool - thanks for the picture - definitely helps! So now I just need to work out the part number! Shouldn't be too hard I guess! Might make it part of my winter maintenance.

Thanks guys!
StevoDevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevoDevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 10:18pm
Think I found it - http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080018
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 12:45pm
Just replaced mine after learning how to deal with it by holding the starter a little longer than just getting it going. 500 hours but 19 years....on the 1996'Super Sport. The position for repairing it is to climb in adjacent to the engine. Leaning over the back seat was not fun. Advice....take a few pics before starting so you can easily recall.whatmwent where.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic