Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter/Transmission Leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter/Transmission Leak
    Posted: July-25-2014 at 11:56pm
I have been trying to hunt down a leak on my transmission and I added some uv dye to see if I could pinpoint the location. After running it today I got it home and put the uv light on it. The only location I could find where I saw UV dye is where the starter attaches to the bell housing of the tranny. The PO told me he had replaced the starter shortly before I bought it. Looking at how the starter attaches at that location there is a gap which is open. I tried to take a pic but it was getting too dark.

Does it make sense that there would be tranny fluid leaking near the starter?
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 12:10am
Front seal is probably leaking and flywheel is throwing oil out.Remove starter and see.
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 2:07pm
I am not in the process of taking the Hurth 450D out and have removed the engine mounts, swung them away from the tranny, and removed the 4 bolts holding the transmission to the bell housing. I was thinking that the tranny would slide off at this point but it is not budging.

Any suggestions or things that I may have overlooked?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 3:02pm
Tom,
The spline trans shaft and the damper plate can get stuck. It may take some effort to pull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 3:08pm
4 Bolts? Thought there were 6. Yes can get stuck on spline.
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 4:53pm
Okay I am trying an alternatie approach. I am removeng the bell housing, if I'd that will it slide off easier?
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 6:53pm
I am at a stalemate and need some help. I removed the bell housing connections, starter and bell housing backing plate. I can slide the transmission and bellhousing about 3/4" from the engine. But it will not budge beyond that point. What am I missing here, or do I just need more force (I have been applying alot)?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 8:55pm
Regardless of where you split it, the tranny input shaft still is engaged with the damper (which is mounted to the flywheel). If you can get a wrench in there & loosen the damper plate screws, it should come apart. If not, spray pemetrating oil & work it back & forth.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 9:43pm
It is never as easy as I think. I had my teenagers help me today expecting 2-4 hours do it and we spent 7 and still not done yet. Everything went well until the removal. I guess they are learning perseverance.

I sprayed some PB plaster on the spline. My only concern is when I place wedges that I may do damage to the bell housing.

Thanks for the help guys.
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

4 Bolts? Thought there were 6. Yes can get stuck on spline.

You are right there are 6 bolts which connect the tranny to the bell housing. I have tried just about everything I know, I am able to wiggle the about 1/2 gap at bell housing where it attaches to the engine and I then tried reattaching the bell housing to the engine and was able to get about the same at the joint between the bell housing and transmission.

I am been trying everything - with a lot of wiggling, prying, lifting, etc. I am still not able to get it lose. We have sprayed PB blaster were we think the connection should be, just not enough gap to make sure were are getting in the right place.

I am thinking the spline is stuck where it attaches to the damper plate. Found the thread below on another site, just seems like drastic measures.

Getting ready to throw in the towel for a little while.

Has anyone ever had this much of an issue removing a tranny before. We are able to get a gap all the way around the casing so there are not bolts connecting it. tranny removal
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 4:30pm
The only thing that can be damaged at this stage is the damper plate and think it's a no brainer it needs replacement so you can't pull to hard at this point.Break out the heavy artillery.Any chance there is an inspection plate on bottom stopping you're progress?
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 4:37pm
I did remove the inspection plate. I hate to say it by I have been bringing the heavy artillery. Maybe I need to rest up and eat my wheaties.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 4:53pm
Can tha damper to flywheel bolts be accessed through starter hole?
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 4:56pm
I looked at the briefly and it does not seem like an option
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 5:16pm
I know this sounds harsh but if you are sure it is locked on the damper spline
a couple splitting wedges would be handy now.
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 8:34pm
I am considering drilling a 1" hole in the bell housing so that I can remove the damper plate bolts.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 10:14pm
That sounds like a good idea,better than breaking something. It will help when it goes back together too,leave the bolts loose install trans then tighten them up. You might be able to find a rubber plug to cover it when your done but I don't think one is needed.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 12:10am
Well a small victory. I drilled a 1' diameter hole at the 11 o'clock position in the bell housing and then had to drill an adjacent one to get at the correct height to get a socket on the nuts. I was able to pretty easily remove the six bolts and transmission and bell housing slid right off. I was able to cut the outer portion of damper plate off so that I could take off the bell housing and get a pulley puller on it. To may amazement I cannot get the ^$%&^%*&% thing off. The damper plate or what is left of it is starting to bend so I stopped pulling and tapping. Lubing it up over night and will try one more time before I send it off FFM. If I cannot get if off in the morning I am going to ask them to do it.

Below is a picture of the holes in the bell housing. I am thinking of just putting a cover plate over top, do you guys think that will be okay or should I have a plate welded over the holes?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic