NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any input on this 1993 sport nautique?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 5:34pm
First boat? Newborn? Buy the nicest example of a boat that you can afford. Buying one that has lived a hard life will ensure you spend more time working on it than enjoying it at a minimum, and that could potentially be a major money pit. If your budget is $7k, buy a nice 2001 instead of a raggy Sport Nautique.

This boat has led a tough life. Trailer is lousy, decals are meh, interior has been replaced with marginal quality... It's not painting a pretty picture. Pass, pass, pass.

Deals will start to pop up in the fall, be patient.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 5:42pm
That boat is really beat up and hacked together, if the motor repairs are similar to the trailer repairs I would be surprised if it runs at all. Who puts new stickers over oxidized gelcoat like that??

7k is too much imo, at 5k could be worth taking a chance on
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 6:06pm
looks like the decals ghosted in to the gel are not original either, they look like 99 decals
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

looks like the decals ghosted in to the gel are not original either, they look like 99 decals

Do you guys think I should be able to get those ghosts out of the gel? I figured I would have to do some work with the gel, but my cousin said he wasnt sure if the ghosted decals would come out 100%.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 6:45pm
you wetsand it long enough you can get the red off the boat. get ready to have tired forearms, start waxing on and off today.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 6:55pm
Ryan - yes, you should be able to get the ghosting out of the gel, it will probably require 3 step sanding, followed by 3M 3 step buffing and a good coat of wax, you might still be able to see the ghosting at the precise angle and the right light.

As an alternative, check this out:
94 Sport with Tower

Or with some good negotiation, pick one of these up:
96 Sport Nautique

93 Sport Nautique

93 Sport Nautique

and then save up a little more money and put one of these on it for $2100 New Dimension Tower

Or you could go this route; 90 Sport Nautique again with negotiations and add a tower.

The 90 has wood stringers, but look at it, it is in BEAUTIFUL shape (at least it takes really good pictures...) and you could afford to put the tower on right away.

Again this was a quick 10 minute search, I am not sure where you live, maybe in the south, but there are definitely better options that you might have to drive a little further. I think in the long run you will be much happier.
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 7:06pm

I live in the Memphis area. I dont really want to drive more than 3-5 hours just to look at a boat. My max budget, with tower is 12 and none of those really meet the budget and distance budgets. I am trying to avoid wood stringers so the 90 is out.

I was talking with this guy a couple months ago: http://correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=7381&sort=&pagenum=7

I had him down to 11,750 but I dont want to drive that far, and I dont like the idea of buying something like a boat, without water testing it.

Any members in OK?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 7:12pm
Please don't quote a [rather large] post without even making any references to it. Wastes space.
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Please don't quote a [rather large] post without even making any references to it. Wastes space.

Sorry fixed.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 8:00pm
Ok, here is one on the edge of your drive time;

1997 Sport Nautique

Its only $7000 but it has a cracked block, so you drop in one of these:
Marine Crate Engine for $3000
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 8:05pm
If only it wasnt green
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 8:06pm
A couple of finds near you. Some cash in hand negotiating could possibly get you one of them:

96 SNCB with tower

2001 Air

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

A couple of finds near you. Some cash in hand negotiating could possibly get you one of them:

96 SNCB with tower

2001 Air

Im not a purple fan either, and the air is out of my budget.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by hebs hebs wrote:

Im not a purple fan either, and the air is out of my budget.

Offer $12K cash. You'd be surprised how much the price can drop with cash in hand. The answer is always NO if you don't even try. What's the worst that can happen?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 9:42pm
The '01 Air 196 is a smaller boat than the earlier Sport/Air's you're looking at, just wanted to point that out.

Ryan, you started the thread saying "poor man's wakeboarding boat". Could you tell us more about what you want? Open bow a must? Want the larger 21 ft. boat? As said earlier, you could find a really nice 2001 for way below your budget, or a '93-'94-ish Ski Nautique.

There is no question you'll find what you want in your budget, but might take some patience.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 1:30am
Well the decision to buy the local 93 is out of my hands now. The guy that took it out for a water test today bought it for 8k. For some reason I feel like I should have bought that boat. Oh well. I guess I will continue hunting.

As for what I am looking for when I say "poor man's wakeboarding boat", I want something in my price range that puts up a nice wake, but that I can also take family out on and have a good time. I have been looking for the older boats, with hulls that put up wakes like the newer boats.

I originally wanted a 2001 but realized that I need more space, and would really rather have a fiberglass boat. I have settled on the 93-97 sport nautique, or possible if I found a killer deal, a super sport. I also cant keep the older mastercraft's (gasp) out of the picture, i.e. the 205's that are the same hull as the xstars.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 1:54am
You had a unanimous opinion from the group that commented here that you are better off not owning that '93 Sport. Lot's of good knowledge here, so feel good about having moved on from that one!

Ok, got it, so a Sport/Air or Super Sport. Like I said, I'm very sure you'll find a decent boat in your price range, but it may take looking from now into the fall to find the deal you want. I'd really suggest you expand your drive radius a bit, it will be worth it to look a bit farther afield so you add tons more boats to the mix.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 1:27pm
Yeah... I think you owe all the posters a big thanks! They saved you a ton of money and may even have prevented you from hurting/killing someone with that Cheech and Chong trailer. That boat needs 5-7k at least and someone who knows what they are doing to be worth anything!
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 1:54pm
Yea you guys are probably right. The guy said that the person who set the trailer up for the boat didnt drill drain holes which is why it rusted. I have no idea if there is truth to that, but it sounds like he just went budget on the trailer.

I didnt see the boat needing 5-7k to be honest. Assuming the motor was good, I could have bought it at 7000 and found a deal on a trailer for 1000 (found a ramlin trailer specifically for a 21 foot nautique yesterday), built the transmission (if I had to) for 1000, put 500 into upholstery (just needed rear bottom cushions and front bow bottom cushion), and cleaned up the gel with some elbow grease, and had a pretty nice sport nautique with a rebuilt motor and trans with tower for 9500. I just dont see many other sport nautiques going for that, and If I do, they are 500 miles away, and not 4 miles from my house.

As for someone who knows what they are doing, I am relatively mechanically inclined. I run a local car club and do ECU tuning for subaru's. I do all of the work on my cars I havent paid a mechanic in over 10 years, and have done quite a bit to them. Compared to my car, boats in general are relatively simple to work on, and I have helped my buddy work on his 01 xstar in the past.

Its all hind sight at this point and it will just give me more time to hopefully find exactly what I want, a blue color schemed sport nautique with a FCT, or enough $ left to put a FCT on it. Keep an eye out for me. Thanks again for the advice guys, I think I will like it here on CCF.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 2:00pm
You asked for our advice.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 3:06pm
Well... the dude that owned that boat never hired a mechanic either...

You are way underestimating the work this boat needed and the cost. This isn't a Subaru. Usually if you have a nice hull you are in good shape and most everything else can be dealt with accordingly... but you don't even have that in this case.   

Something tells me in a week you can find the new owner and get this boat for 5k...
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Well... the dude that owned that boat never hired a mechanic either...

You are way underestimating the work this boat needed and the cost. This isn't a Subaru. Usually if you have a nice hull you are in good shape and most everything else can be dealt with accordingly... but you don't even have that in this case.   

Something tells me in a week you can find the new owner and get this boat for 5k...

Yea I understand its not a subaru, I was just saying that I would feel comfortable doing most work myself.

The boat had a ***************load of hours and was in rough shape. I will find something else eventually.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 5:26pm
This one is an hour and a half from me:

'95 Sport

I'm not saying you should consider it, but it looks like a decent condition Sport with fairly low hours on the right trailer with tower listed at $10,000. Hard to tell it's true condition from the pictures, but just an example that you can find everything you want for 2 grand below your budget and very little or no work needed to get on the water.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 6:01pm
Regardless of how mechanically inclined you are, if you are buying a boat to go boating, buy the nicest one you can afford. If you like to tinker in the garage, buy a boat that needs a lot of work. You can sometimes break even on a project boat- or maybe even a *little bit* ahead, and of course you end up with something that you made your own...
But you are not likely to beat the game significantly in terms of $$, an of course you're donating all of your labor. That's neither good nor bad but make sure you know what you're getting into. And make sure your family is on board! First boats are usually best if they can be put in the water and enjoyed immediately. Otherwise it can sour your taste for boating (and that of those around you) before you're ever on the water. Not good.

That boat had very little going for it from what you said and showed us. In cases like that, there are ALWAYS more issues than immediately obvious. It would have been a money pit and a terrible first boat. You would not have been running around for $9500 all in and 1-2 weekends of work, trust me.

If you have the time to fix up a clunker, you have a day or 2 to invest in a road trip to pick up a nice example. Expand your search area. This isn't a house, buying it just because it's nearby is silly. Getting the model you want with the right options in the right condition at the right price should be your goal... A few hundred bucks in gas shouldn't have you settling for a lesser boat. There are ways to vet a boat out prior to purchase withou seein it with your own eyes... And this forum is your best resource. I would slow down and listen to what people are saying!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 6:04pm
You made a mistake. You should have bought it.
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 6:21pm
I guess I shouldnt have said "i should have bought it". I guess I should say I will always be curious, since the first person to water test it bought it. Like I said, you guys are probably right and I will appreciate it later.
hebs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Regardless of how mechanically inclined you are, if you are buying a boat to go boating, buy the nicest one you can afford. If you like to tinker in the garage, buy a boat that needs a lot of work. You can sometimes break even on a project boat- or maybe even a *little bit* ahead, and of course you end up with something that you made your own...
But you are not likely to beat the game significantly in terms of $$, an of course you're donating all of your labor. That's neither good nor bad but make sure you know what you're getting into. And make sure your family is on board! First boats are usually best if they can be put in the water and enjoyed immediately. Otherwise it can sour your taste for boating (and that of those around you) before you're ever on the water. Not good.

That boat had very little going for it from what you said and showed us. In cases like that, there are ALWAYS more issues than immediately obvious. It would have been a money pit and a terrible first boat. You would not have been running around for $9500 all in and 1-2 weekends of work, trust me.

If you have the time to fix up a clunker, you have a day or 2 to invest in a road trip to pick up a nice example. Expand your search area. This isn't a house, buying it just because it's nearby is silly. Getting the model you want with the right options in the right condition at the right price should be your goal... A few hundred bucks in gas shouldn't have you settling for a lesser boat. There are ways to vet a boat out prior to purchase withou seein it with your own eyes... And this forum is your best resource. I would slow down and listen to what people are saying!

Yea thats a point I have thought about. My wife is hesitant about getting a boat in general, so I dont want to make it a negative experience.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 12:43pm
You have to remember, the guy that bought it probably knows as much about boats as everyone on this site knows in their little finger.

Very smart people buy huge hunks of crap on the reg because they have no clue what to look for.

That boat would have been a negative experience for you and your family no doubt.

Like said above, I know you have your mind set on a tower but I feel it is much more important financially and long run to buy a nice rig that hasn't been monkeyed with.

Buy a nice sport for 10-12 that is water ready and maybe needs a wax. Buy a $325 fly hi pole for a season or two and then buy the tower/speaker/etc set up you would really like to have. You will be money ahead without a question.

Everything adds up money wise very quickly. Boats nickle and dime you to death when someone who hasn't properly maintained them or has no clue what they are doing has owned them before you.

If you buy a boat with issues and don't get to use it that's all you will hear from your wife.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 10:22pm
This one looks cherry:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=7477&sort=&pagenum=4

There's a bunch more pictures of it on Planet Nautique as well:
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?29534-1998-Sport-Nautique-w-Factory-Installed-Launch-Control-System-and-only-380-hours

The asking price is out of your range, but it can't hurt anything to offer him what you have and see what happens.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 10:35pm
Since the season is 2/3 gone (at least here) I'd be inclined to just rent a boat once or twice to scratch the itch. Sure they're Bayliners but it's still a boat.    Then do some serious shopping in Oct/Nov when the anti-storage sales are hot.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic