Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

97 SN, loss of power, top speed, rough idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skiflyer45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiflyer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97 SN, loss of power, top speed, rough idle
    Posted: July-21-2014 at 4:41pm
Hi everyone, I'm having some issues with my GT40 and need some help figuring this out to avoid the stealership.

Here are my symptoms in the order they began:

1. Intermittent and slight momentary loss of power (rpm) at any speed (felt like bad gas)

This progressed into:

2. Momentary loss of power (RPM) at any speed (see video - http://youtu.be/z9eSgtXrSi4 )
http://youtu.be/z9eSgtXrSi4

3. Intermittent Loss of top speed - This became progressively worse from not being able to go over 35., then 30ish, now high 20's. When at driving it feels like the boat wants to go faster and occasionally surges but the bogs back down.

4. Rough idle - it will idle fine then suddenly sound like the engine is dying or seizing and the rpms will drop...this is the same symptom as when driving just at idle (see video - http://youtu.be/bcirxCtgV1M )
http://youtu.be/bcirxCtgV1M

5. I don't know if this is related or not.... and these two issues have only occurred once each independently.

1. Both batteries died....I saw the volt meter on dash slowly creep down over 2 minutes or so and the boat died in middle of lake. Switched to battery 2 and same thing. Recharged system and everything was fine. Batteries are charging and at proper voltage.

2. Boat would not start...there was no power to anything like there was no battery connected. When turning the key the battery gauge would move very slightly (as if hitting the dash). Tried a few times and all the sudden it worked again as if nothing was wrong

---

I have tried the following:

1. Checked anti-siphon valve (OK)
2. Changed fuel filter (NEW)
3. Changed little tube inside FCC, had a tiny crack, however I may have caused it removing the FCC/filter (NEW)
4. Checked and cleaned screen at fuel pickup
5. Added Seafoam
6. Checked for water in fuel (OK)
7. Fuel pressure at idle was 34, when RPMS went down (power loss) the pressure would surge to 38-40 then back to 34. It would basically bounce between 32-38 when the engine sounded like it was seizing. It seemed like the seize occurred before the pressure went up, almost as if the pressure was compensating to prevent the engine from dying. If that makes sense. (***I have not tried it under load, will do that Wednesday)
8. I visually inspected and pulled plugs/wires. (OK, from what I can tell, they are 6 month old)
9. I individually pulled the plugs of cylinders 1,2,3 (one at a time) and started the boat...it ran the same? (I don't know what that means and if I did it correctly but I got zapped so I quit :) - I will try this again when someone can give me some good direction on how to test this properly please. This part also seemed very confusing to me that the engine would run the same with plugs removed of a cylinder...But again, I probably did this wrong.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the lengthy post.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 7:05pm
I can't pull up the GT-40 trouble shooting thread right now, but there is one that you should search for.   Sounds like you may need to you might need to check your fuel tube - (see the gt-40 thread), and since your wires are 6 months old, I think you need to check your firing order and timing.   If the engine is running poorly, this would be a good first thing to check (not running or on, and you won't find that 20k volts)

on the batts, you may need to work through cleaning and tightening your connections, and checking for parasitic load draw.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiflyer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 7:14pm
Ok. I checked the fuel lines and they are clear from what I can tell. I wire brushed the battery connections and engine ground.

Would the timing or firing order change? I ask because the engine ran fine and this problem hasn't always been there. I did check the trouble shooting thread but didn't find anything that matched my symptoms exactly.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 8:26pm
Cap and rotor replaced?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiflyer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 5:02pm
I have not replaced that.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 5:26pm
Also, check that you've got a good connection around your key switch and dash ignition breaker push button (if you have one). And of course, the key switch itself.

Your electrical issues, and your performance issues could have a common cause there; it could be that simple.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiflyer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 2:10am
Ok little update. Today I replaced low pressure fuel pump, cap, rotor and spark plugs. The engine ran a little smoother however I still have a loss of power. Most of the time it wouldn't go over 2700rpm (no check engine light). Sometimes I would get it up to almost 3200. I also had some backfiring which went away after changing the plugs....I was also caught in some rain with the engine cover open so that may explain the backfiring?

Battery 1 was way low showing at around 10v with the boat running. While under load going about 20mph I switched to battery 2 (which was fully charged) and had an immediate power surge and the boat went faster, still loss of power but more power than with battery 1.

This leads me to believe my problem is electrical and not fuel related. What can I check that would cause a hesitation and loss of power related to battery or charging system? Any ideas?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 8:49am
Without 12V to the ECM you will get unpredictable results. Sort out your charging/battery issue first.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 10:23am
Was the dual battery thing a factory installation?

For each battery, when it is connected, you'll have to check what kind of voltage you are getting at the battery with the motor running. It should be close to 13, if you are getting a charge. You'll need a multi meter for this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiflyer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:12pm
FIXED. It was the distributor...was rusted...got a rebuild one from napa for $100.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:37pm
I hope that rebuilt distributor was a marine version and not automotive.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I hope that rebuilt distributor was a marine version and not automotive.

Don't think there is a difference on the GT - 40's the only thing you'll want to do is plug the vent hole in the cap with some permatex.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiflyer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 8:32pm
It's not a marine version...it's the same.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 10:28pm
Ok, I added the distributor to the diagnosis thread.
tequilas73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tequilas73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 12:45am
How did you figure out that it was the distributor? Wht did it look like?

I have a 1989 SN having very similar issues to what you described, but I have not checked inside the distributor.

Thanks for any helo,
JM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiflyer45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 1:52am
It was rusted and I literally checked everything else.
I can text you a pic if you want.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 10:28am
Two different distributors in those boats.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic