Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tube rope attach point (spool)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bnash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tube rope attach point (spool)
    Posted: July-20-2014 at 9:53pm
Hello,

I recently purchased a used 1995 ski nautique. It has a round attach point for the tube rope on the back of the boat that has become lose. The top part has an Allen Wrench fitting but the nut below needs to be held to tighten it. I can (barely) reach up inside the fiberglass from behind my rear seat (with the seat up) to grab the bolt and nut but I cannot get a socket wrench on it. In fact when I tried the socket slipped out of my hand and fell down somewhere in the hull...figuring out how to fish that out is my next problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get better access to the underside of the tube attach point or otherwise tighten it?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Brian
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by bnash bnash wrote:

Hello,

It has a round attach point for the tube rope on the back of the boat

Your going to take some crap on this one Brian. Most here will tell you that you own an advanced ski/wake machine, tube attachments are meant to be located on bayliners . It is a tight space for sure. Remove what you can. Maybe lock tight them so it does not re-cure
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 11:39pm
Ditch the tube, problem solved.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 11:52pm
ski nautiques dont have a good tubing wake anyways.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 11:55pm
If you remove the rear seat and can't get to that nut, you may need to pull the tank to get access.

Since you are new here I will give you a hint - type "tube" into the search engines and see what comes up. Then you can come back here and ask what to do because the wakeboarding attach point at the rear of your 1995 SN is loose.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 12:09am
If tubing is good enough for Eddie, well than it's good enough for me. My spool was loose too but having a vdrive getting to that is the easiest thing on it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 12:19am
You need a tower..
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 1:54am
Kidding aside, I think the OP has a loose lifting ring, which is a safety problem if someone were to use it for it's intended purpose.

You may have to remove the fuel tank to fix it properly.

It should not be used to tow anything, that is probably why it is loose.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 2:25am
Brian,
That spool isn't meant for the heavy loads a tube can produce. Yes, get rid of the tube. If you must, use the pylon.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 2:32am
It says 2 skiers max on the decal----
I just noticed how late Pete posted,it's gotta be a new record
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 3:50am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It says 2 skiers max on the decal----
I just noticed how late Pete posted,it's gotta be a new record

I wasn't able to sleep tonight. Notice the decal says "skiers" and nothing about tubes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 5:45am
It's not a lifting ring, wrong hull.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 10:46am
To elaborate on HWs post. The lifting rings are down beneath the platform in the cups, the spool is a tow point, tho I don't believe Correct Craft officially designated it as the "tube rope attach point"
bnash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 3:31pm
Okay, okay. I got. No more posting about tubing. :-)

Seriously, we primarily bought our boat for water skiing, but our kids do like to tube as well.

Now, about that "wake boarding attach point" on the back of my boat. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pull the rear seats completely out next. Hopefully I will not need to pull the tank. Is there any online info on how to pull the tank, or is it self explanatory once the rear seat comes out?

Thanks for all the posts. When looking for a ski boat one of the things that impressed me about the correct craft community was all of the great info on the forum and how responsive people were...even if they are giving you the stick :-)

Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 8:33pm
I can't find the thread BKH started several years ago on getting the kids on skis. Many added to the thread adding their own young kids skiing pictures. Besides the CCfan, search. I also Goggled it. Any help here? I think it may help Brian with his kids tubing problem!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 8:57pm
this one?

For the future Pete, this is what I typed into google-
site:correctcraftfan.com kids on the water

it helped that I knew the name of the thread, but that site:correctcraftfan.com trick makes it easy to find stuff

bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 9:35pm

Okay, okay.   but our kids do like to tube as well. Brian

Adam.
Yup that's the one I was looking for. Thanks!
Brain,
You should take a look at the thread. Show the kids as well. Here it is

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 10:03pm
We had a Big Mable sighting a few weeks ago.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 10:23pm
Brian, as you can now attest to; you will find that most of the CCFans bark is worse than their bite. Our take on these machines is that you bought a competition SKI boat not a competition TUBE boat (sorry Pete ). Get your kids up on something other than a tube and just remember it takes patience to do so. Skiing/boarding with several others is much more fun than bouncing round on a tube. Heck the 50+ year olds are skiing in groups.

That being said, I see you're in Atlanta. What lake are you boating on. We've got many members who congregate on Lanier several times a summer. Lots of skiing/driving/teaching experience all in one spot. You should think about joining us when we have another 'crew' meeting and meet other CCFans and get the chance to do many options behind the boat other than an inflatable.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 10:35pm
Yes to what Tim said re meeting on Lanier.
Where in GA do you boat?
1994 Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:13pm
Actually, I have that same "spool" and mine was loose as well.

The owners manual does say as a tow point for two skiers max, although I wouldn't put two big slalom skiers on it.

You definitely shouldn't have to move the tank. Although, you'll probably have to get the seat totally out of there.

It's just a matter of finding the right size socket, and combination of extensions. I don't recall the size of the socket or length of extension. The tank was pretty much a non issue though on mine and I think it's a similar enough hull.

One trick that might work if your lucky, is pull straight up on the spool as you tighten the allen bolt on top. That will pull the nut against the underside, and the friction will keep it from turning... if you're lucky. But like I say, it should be real easy to get a socket on there once the seat is out of the way. I think I used a deep socket, but I forget if I needed too or if that's just what I had handy.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 4:28am
2 tubing threads in one week. I can't take it.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 6:38pm
its a tow point definetely, I guess the plastic is supposed to rotate or swivel, as in my boat is also "loose"...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
bnash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:06pm
Hi Tim,

We are on the north end of Lake Lanier. Meeting up with some local CCfans on Lanier sounds good. Thanks. Let me know when you have another crew meeting.

We have our oldest son comfortable on a slalom and he's looking to improve his game beyond the basics, and our middle one is comfortable on two and looking to move to a slalom. Still working on the youngest. Their ambition is to become tournament tubers, however, so I just need to find a tournament tubing course for them to compete on. :-)

bnash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:10pm
Bri892001,

Thanks for the info and that is a good suggestion. I'll be giving that a try tomorrow.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:47pm

Their ambition is to become tournament tubers, however, so I just need to find a tournament tubing course for them to compete on. :-)

Ooooooh that's a tuffy... Well I think our Protuber extradonaire Pete will have answer all questions related to the pro circuit as he is our one and only pro. Check this thread for more info....

Pete.... CCFans Pro Tuber

We'll have a Lanier Crew meeting here soon probably the 1st or 2nd weekend of August. Several members Nautiquehunter, jimsport93, and toertel are on the lake around the lanier island chain any given Sat. For the larger gathering of fans look for a Lanier thread to pop up in the reunions thread.

** Post Edit*** after revisiting the above thread I had to stop because I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts and my eyes are leaking... CLASSIC!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 11:03pm
Brian,

I too have a '95 and occasionally (after all skiing and boarding is done and the water has turned to crap) will let my kids tube. I had the same problem. I was able to get to the nut w/o having to take the fuel tanks out. It took come contortion as I remember, but I got it done.

See this post for my solution for preventing it from happening again. Never had an issue since, nor have I had problems pulling kids on tube from the rear pylon.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10969&KW=pylon&PID=117638&title=loose-rear-tow-knob-95-snob#117638

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 11:12pm
That's a good writeup Tim.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 2:20am
Link for Loose rear tow point

I'm thinking I've found a new link for my FAQ.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
bnash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 1:48pm
Hi Tim,

The info in the link you provided really helps. Many thanks. In fact, I am on my way to fix that right now.

Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic