Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering getting stiffer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wake47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wake47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering getting stiffer
    Posted: July-20-2014 at 7:14pm
91 sport nautique always turned hard to the right vs. the left but now requires 2 hands and a lot of effort. Seems to hitch pretty well esp. to the right. Can I grease something or where's the best price for the parts? Can anyone confirm the 18' cable and helm type?
Thanks
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 12:00am
Some boats have a grease fitting on the rudder. You'll have to get your head way under there to have a look. But I'd be willing to bet you need a new steering cable.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 1:49am
Call Zach at N3 Boatworks to get the cable. Tie a rope onto th old one before you pull it out, so you can fish the new one back in.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 10:56am
Disconnect the cable from the rudder and verify that the rudder turns easily by hand. If so, replace the cable.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:19am
I just replaced one this spring. It had took 2 hands to turn.Zach at N3 gave me 2 choices ,replace the original cable IIRC at over 300 or new style cable that requires a new lower helm for a little less but if it ever needs to be done again will be considerably less. I ended up cutting the ends of the cable off to find out why it started binding and found out that the lubricant had dried out. Same with the lower helm it was binding too but I was able to lube it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:48am
We are fighting this battle ourselves on a 2000 SN. The cable was replaced but the guy said he barely noticed a difference. We recently added grease to the rudder shaft and packing and it made all the difference in the world. After about a month, the steering is starting to get stiff again so I'm thinking new packing may be in order. We don't have a grease fitting on the rudder box but may add one if the new packing doesn't fix the problem.
goshen10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goshen10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 8:55pm
I just replaced the steering cable on my 1985 2001 SN. The steering had been getting harder over last year or so, but, suddenly became two handed steering to the right. I thought rudder might be fouled so I hit reverse and it sorta cleared for a few minutes. When it returned, I pulled the boat to the shop. During testing the helm jammed. Cable broke in helm gearing.
I figured the cable was wearing out over the last year and after inspection of the helm gear I decided to change that also.
No CC dealer could cross reference the SSC12177 number, but, Nautique Tech Support was super helpful in getting the right part numbers.

New helm from Teleflex Big-T #SH500P. New Teleflex cable SSC12177 17.5 foot, from a CC dealer. CC cable number is S1529. Please note that this cable is only available through CC and has a 10.5 inch throw not the standard 8.5 inch, found on standard Teleflex cabling. A SSC6181 or SSC7218 standard cable will reduce your turning radius significantly.
Steering is now OMG fantastic. Thanks to the Nautique factory team.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 9:29pm
All wonderful things, but you probably could have saved some time if you came here and asked the question first- probably some $$ too. Not sure who you called- nautique parts maybe (they're a dealer not a factory parts house)... The factory only has a few guys like Dave Hendricks and Aet Cozier who know the "older" boats like ours.

Judging by your screen name, location and model year (blue stripe?) you probably have a guy who knows a thing or 2 about correct crafts just down the street from you.
Wake47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wake47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 12:37am
I ordered a new cable (tele flex) from nautiqueparts. Upon further inspection, the hitch was created by a broken universal joint in the steering helm. I ordered a new steering helm, because of horrible detail descriptions, apparently I ordered the wrong 1 and also 1 that the new cable wouldn't fit. Called nautiqueparts and finally got assistance, new helm, helm assembly and cable on the way but now I'm skeptical if it's going to shorten my turn radius. Goshen10 your story got me thinking thank you for the post. Now I'm on part finding overload and can't keep it straight. I know my cable is 19.5 and I'm hoping nautiqueparts is hooking me up with the correct parts. Short season here in the 04401. TRBenj, you mentioned a couple names that knew the older boats. What factory is this?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 1:34am
That factory would be the one where the boats are made those two are also members here and show up at some of the events.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
goshen10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goshen10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 2:30am
I do know a "GUY" who knows a whole lot, but not always easy to contact, as he no longer is a CC dealer, as a matter of fact he did have the right cable at his shop...Kuddos...
I did call a number of CC dealer service centers in the tri-state area... none could help me as their books/computers apparently don't go back beyond 1992. the SSC12177 fits boats from 1982 to 1990 and is a 17.5' cable.
goshen10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goshen10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 2:34am
your probably going to be fine with the parts from Nautque.
the ssc12177 cable fits 1982 thru 1990. It may fit more. its a 17.5' cable
factory at http://www.nautique.com/contact/corporation/
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 7:38am
I was talking about a "guy" on the lake that I suspect goshen10 frequents.   No better info than right here- I would not bother calling the factory to discuss an older boat- there's a good chance that they'll direct you back here anyways!

The 17.5' long throw cable used 82-90 is in fact a special cc part (dealer only, teleflex won't sell it direct) with a 2" longer throw... But the helm is a standard issue Big-T rotary available through numerous outlets. I have a few used ones in the basement if you choke when you see the price of new!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:40am
1991-1992 was a special Morse helm that wasn't used on anything else. The tilt mechanism you ordered is for a teleflex style rack gear helm. The Morse style pieces are no longer available (to my knowledge).

Your steering wheel will therefore be a tapered shaft and will not fit the splined shaft of the later tilt mechanisms. I have a source for a correct Teleflex style helm that also features the correct tapered steering wheel side so you can retain the stock wheel.

Basically, for not a ton of money you can convert the helm area and cable to the current 2014 style steering in a ski 200. This will allow you to have greater access to replacement parts in the future seeing how your boat had an odd ball steering set up originally.

Should have called me as suggested above ;).

Like Tim said, the big T replacement cost is scary expensive.
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 6:01pm
Zach I would be interested in converting. I have a 91SN and hate to spend the money on a new cable only to have an issue with the Helm. I have not had a chance to check the rudder either but figured the thing is 20+ yrs old and most likely needs a new cable. Can you send me a PM with the cost and details to convert before I spend the $$ on a new cable.
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 7:19pm
I will in the am Sir.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic