NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paragon Replica

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'd disconnect my Mazda pickup while taking pictures too-

Lmao. Quinner, why did you ever get rid of that thing. It was beautiful.

The replacement isn't bad either...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:18pm
how is the mahogoney adhered to the deck?

Were the windshield frames on original Paragons actually wooden or was it a faux wood metal frame?

Nice work. That looks really good.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:23pm

I don't know, I am not a big fan of the Mazda pick-up...

The work on the Paragon Replica is VERY cool.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:27pm

Just sold the Mazda B2K last week, it was an 1983 and only had 39k original miles.........Oh wait, you meant the Paragon, LMAO

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:31pm
Quinner, did you ever spill any beer on that Teak flooring?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:32pm
Steve,

The windshield frame was real wood, the floors were all teak and the deck was mahogany.

The slalom wake was definitely bigger on the Paragon, like every CC I have owned, more weight = bigger slalom wake

Zach, never spill my beer, that's just wasteful!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 1:48pm
Isn't pulling a Paragon with a B2000 kind of like living in a refrigerator box and wearing a Rolex?

Chris, no question on the weight. I'm not good about emptying out my boat and keeping fuel low, but when I remember to do so it's a very noticeable difference.

Your Paragon was beautiful! And Steve's custom '96 is one of a kind, a great example of what some creativity and hard work can do.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 2:37pm
Wow! What a fantastic project! Nice work!

/!!!!
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

ParagonFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParagonFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:01pm
Thanks again guys for all the compliments.

Regarding the question about how the mahogany is held down, it was all done with stainless torx (tamper-pruf) bolts with a round head. The wood was counter-sunk so the bolt could be installed and hidden with a wood plug on top.   The bolts go through the wood and fiberglass and have large flat washers inside to distribute the load so the lock washers and nuts won't pull through. Lots of stainless bolts, washers, and nuts were used.

As far as the wake goes with the extra weight of the wood, I can comment more on that when we get the boat back in the water at the end of the month.
1996 Ski Nautique Closed Bow
5.8 GT-40 EFI
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:07pm
Great work on the boat...you will have lots of smiles per hour with her
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:13pm
Awesome job! I think I like the SN windshield better than the Paragon's. Let me know when you can start converting my SN over, lol.

Quinner, are you certain your red one was the only one produced?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Quinner, are you certain your red one was the only one produced?

That's the word on the street. I forget the exact number, but something like 12 greens and Quinners one red one, which I believe was originally built for someone in the CC family, but I could be wrong about that: Chris can clarify.

Oh, and great job on the Replica!!! Very nice work.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:30pm
I thought there were 40 built. As to the break down of green vs red, idk but I've seen a red personally and when you google CC Paragon, there's quite a few reds pop up. I think the red is sharp.

But this replica looks awesome.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:36pm
You are way off with 40. I googled Correct Craft Paragon and the red one is all the same boat. The current owner bought a new trailer. Ken Meloon spec'd much if the customization on the red one, not sure if he was the first title holder though.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 3:57pm
HW is correct, the Red (Wineberry) was built for and per Ken Meloon's personal specs, a one of a kind in several ways. The color, bling on the motor and a few other details were unique to that Paragon only. Numbers I have always heard were 10 green + 1 red.

Brand new never titled boat was purchased with a few hours on it for about twice what a 93' well equipped Ski Nautique would have cost.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 5:52pm
I might be getting numbers mixed with the Silver Nautique. Did some research and the Orlando Slant-nel says 26 were built. With red, green, white and blue colors available.   I guess white and blue must've never been built.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 5:54pm
Paragon Orlando Sentinel

What does Art say?
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 6:41pm
Love the project, if I had any time, money, and skill, I would love to do something like that. Beautiful.
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I might be getting numbers mixed with the Silver Nautique.   

I believe there were 82 Silvers.

I read the article. Surprised to read the Paragons were painted, not gelled. It reads like CC craftsman did the wood work, where the legend around here is that the wood work was farmed out to another contractor, supposedly in NY, IIRC.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 8:37pm
I cannot imagine CC craftsman building them,the last wood boats built by them was something like 30 years before. Someone with the craftsmanship that's needed for a 48k boat wasn't sitting around CC fiberglassing seat bases and resting for a couple of years after building stringers
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 9:36pm
Hey Todd, (Orlando76) Thanks for the link! Blue sounds awesome!

Chris, what's the story on the acquisition and sale?? Nice pics!
Js
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2014 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

HW is correct, the Red (Wineberry) was built for and per Ken Meloon's personal specs, a one of a kind in several ways. The color, bling on the motor and a few other details were unique to that Paragon only. Numbers I have always heard were 10 green + 1 red.

Brand new never titled boat was purchased with a few hours on it for about twice what a 93' well equipped Ski Nautique would have cost.

I can only imagine what it felt like to let that immaculate and beautiful boat be pulled out of the driveway behind something other than your Mazda. What a tough one to let go!
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

hondaprlud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondaprlud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2014 at 1:20pm
Cool project, nice job!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 7:20pm
Awesome boat! Nice work! I love it...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I've been wondering when someone was going to do this.   Looks like some fine work and agree I like the stock windshield.   Great job, is it a coincidence you posted this while Pete is up north with No Internet.

WOW! I completely missed the entire thread. Alan, yes, in 14 I was up north without any internet. I probably wouldn't have ever seen it without Ken suggesting to google Paragon in the other "classic" CC thread! I concur, that it sure looks like some great work and lots of it! I wonder where it is now and how it's holding up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2018 at 10:30pm
bump! Yes, were is it now?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I've been wondering when someone was going to do this.   Looks like some fine work and agree I like the stock windshield.   Great job, is it a coincidence you posted this while Pete is up north with No Internet.

WOW! I completely missed the entire thread. Alan, yes, in 14 I was up north without any internet. I probably wouldn't have ever seen it without Ken suggesting to google Paragon in the other "classic" CC thread! I concur, that it sure looks like some great work and lots of it! I wonder where it is now and how it's holding up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2018 at 9:50am
Yes. I would also like to see how it is holding up?
Js
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2018 at 11:14am
Must be really cold up north
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2018 at 11:28am
I sent Steve a PM. Hopefully he'll get it and fill us in on what's up with the Paragon.

Gary,
Yes, it's on the chilly side up here. The temp has come up from the overnight of -16 and is now -11.The wood stove is going and keeping the house at a very nice 76!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2018 at 12:22pm
You better hope that Steve is a "lurker" Pete.

He hasn't logged on since 9/15/14.

Steve's profile

If you're that interested, maybe you should let Google find him
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic