Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 97 GT40 sudden motor shutoff  hard or want start
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

97 GT40 sudden motor shutoff hard or want start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
7golfman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7golfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97 GT40 sudden motor shutoff hard or want start
    Posted: July-09-2014 at 8:48pm
Took my 1997 SN GT-40 out to the lake yesterday. Boat started and ran great initially. While pulling my daughter boat shuts down abruptly. It was like I pulled the lanyard to the kill switch. The switch did not get pulled but I still thought it had to be a problem because I cycled the kill switch a couple of times and tried to start the boat and it fired back up. This happened a couple of times while on the lake and boat ran fine when running. I wasn’t to worried about it because I thought if it ever shut down and I couldn’t jiggle the kill switch I would just bypass the switch while on the lake and fix it when I got the boat home. Well I got the opportunity to bypass the switch and this was/is not the problem. Motor/starter turns over but boat doesn’t run. I did get it to run after about an hour trying to get it to run and made my way to the boat ramp as quick as I could. With the boat finally on the trailer I shut the boat down and tried to re-start. It did not start. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your comments. I have searched the website but could not find anything quiet like my problem.
7golfman
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 9:08pm
I'd be maybe thinking relays.

So the starter will always crank, right?

Also, how did you bypass the lanyard, keep in mind that controls the fuel not the starter.
7golfman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7golfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 10:41pm
Yes starter will always crank. I bypassed the laynyard by connecting the two wires attached to it. This is correct right?

update: I decided to drain the FCC just to see if trash/water was in the bowl. I removed the bowl plug and gas started to flow out of the drain like it should. Shouldnt the gas stop flowing out of the drain? I filled up 3.5quarts of gas and it was still flowing. Does this make sense? Probably a dumb question but I dont know.
7golfman
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 11:20pm
And it started at least once with the lanyard bypassed, right?

I'm just asking cause I don't know if that circuit being opened or closed triggers the shutoff.

Not sure on the draining of the FCC, maybe the low pressure pump was still feeding it?

Either way, your problem sounds exactly like Keith's bit about the TFI, here. Maybe 97 was a bad vintage for TFIs as Keith's is also a 97:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PN=2&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis#top
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 11:21pm
Scroll down about halfway to get to the TFI stuff.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 9:03am
Same happen to me replaced both fuel relays all so far
7golfman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7golfman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 11:44pm
It was the Relay. Thanks so much for the help.
7golfman
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2014 at 2:38am
Cool, I'll update the diagnosis thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic