NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1989 ski nautique
    Posted: July-08-2014 at 11:37pm
New member here from NE Tenn.l just bought an 1989 ski nautique.Needs general maintenance,anew interior with carpet,along with a buff job and new graphics.But she is solid.Checked the floor for soft spots as well as pulling up the driveshaft cover to look over that area for any flaking of glass or missing glass.All good.

As l take apart and rebuild this nautique,l will post up the pics.l am an auto upholster and graphics installer by trade,so l hope all of this is right up my alley!

Please feel free to make comments and advise.

Edit: where is the pics button?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 12:14am
For Pics, you have to use the Post Reply Button, and you'll get more options. The quick reply box doesn't have the upload photo option.

Also, you'll have to upload the pics from the desktop (or maybe any drive) on a real computer. It won't work from an iphone etc. If you have the pics on a mobile device, you'll have to email them to yourself, and then download the pics onto your real computer first.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 12:29am
you may have to resize the pictures as well. I take most of mind on my iphone and have to resize them for the site.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

you may have to resize the pictures as well. I take most of mind on my iphone and have to resize them for the site.

Thanks for the heads up on the pics

l looked your build thread over.Ton of work you did and looks like it came out great!
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 10:15am
Originally posted by sanoman sanoman wrote:

Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on the pics

l looked your build thread over.Ton of work you did and looks like it came out great!

YES, a lot of work but a labor of love no doubt. Still a few things to finish up, but she is running and we are enjoying her!!
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 12:48pm
I noticed you live in Johnson City. I used to live on Boone Lake in a subdivision called Lake Meadows. I miss skiing every day after work. The weather is lot more predictable in the desert, hot and sunny, but I have to go camping for the weekend to ski. Here is a pic of the '89 I bought last winter. It needs decals but other than that it is in excellent shape. Good luck with the boat and you should get all the information you need from this site.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 12:51pm
She looks good! And the boat is nice too. Any pictures closer up?
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 12:55pm
I shouldn't exploit my daughter like that but I know how you guys are. It was Memorial weekend so the girls had their bling on. And NO that is as close as you get!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

NO that is as close as you get!

ZING!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Shredhead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 1:27pm
I loved my 89, best year of the 2001 series by far.

If anyone needs a new glass windshield, let me know. I have an extra one taking up space in my basement.
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I noticed you live in Johnson City. I used to live on Boone Lake in a subdivision called Lake Meadows. I miss skiing every day after work. The weather is lot more predictable in the desert, hot and sunny, but I have to go camping for the weekend to ski. Here is a pic of the '89 I bought last winter. It needs decals but other than that it is in excellent shape. Good luck with the boat and you should get all the information you need from this site.

Know the area well and have been riding on Boone lake since 82! If you were out there a lot,we probably have seen each other. Knew a lot of folks between Sonnys and Jays.
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2014 at 9:53am
Sorry for the pics not going up too quick!
Actually the pictures don't really show how torn up the uph really is or the finish.Needs a lot of love.

l should have some samples coming in the mail from Christene's for the new skins.l researched several company's and even though they are the most expensive,the other company's seemed a little sketchy on delivery and wait times.And l don't like being told delivery next week and it never comes.At least with Christene's l know it will be 90 days and l keep my seats,so l can enjoy using the boat for the rest of the season.

sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 9:51am
Got my samples from Christene's last week and called my order in.So now l'm in line for a while,but have plenty to do.

The previous owner took one of the wheels off to get air in the tire last fall and then forgot to tighten the lug nuts.So in just a mile from the ramp and back to his house wallered out the rim holes for the nuts and took the threads off the studs.Got all that back now and in process of redoing the bearings.

Question.Most of the brakes parts are all rusted up and looks like a complete rebuild.Are they worth fixing??? This trailer won't go any further than 20 miles in a year.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:39am
What is your tow vehicle? I tow my 88 SN around town with my car, no working trailer brakes either. Brakes became standard in 88, so you could have an 87 without from the factory, roughly the same weight. A large SUV or full size truck will handle your boat fine even on the highway.
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

What is your tow vehicle? I tow my 88 SN around town with my car, no working trailer brakes either. Brakes became standard in 88, so you could have an 87 without from the factory, roughly the same weight. A large SUV or full size truck will handle your boat fine even on the highway.

Using an all wheel drive astro van.l think l'll be fine with it.The ramp is just a couple miles from the house.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 12:13am
You might want to lock up the atwood coupler so it doesn't bang every time you stop.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 1:19pm
Hello Don, Nice boat welcome to site love the color .Glad to see another East Tennessee owner on here.I usually go to Watauga lake except for an occasional trip to Boone lake to meet a few friends.Cant wait to see your progress.
Watuugasn84
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by wataugasn84 wataugasn84 wrote:

Hello Don, Nice boat welcome to site love the color .Glad to see another East Tennessee owner on here.I usually go to Watauga lake except for an occasional trip to Boone lake to meet a few friends.Cant wait to see your progress.

Thanks wataugasn84! Several of us were at Watauga today.Looked like a dead zone l guess,because of overcast and rain.
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2015 at 9:45am
l have decided to sell this boat because of health issues that l have been fighting for the past year.

l have purchased and received all new uph and carpet (Christene"s) along with the original decal package Uph is about 3/4 complete.Old carpet still needs to come up.There are no soft spots in the floor and mechanically she runs great.Boat could stand a good buffing all over.

If interested,please contact me at my email address sanoman@me.com.
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by sanoman sanoman wrote:

l have decided to sell this boat because of health issues that l have been fighting for the past year.

l have purchased and received all new uph and carpet (Christene"s) along with the original decal package Uph is about 3/4 complete.Old carpet still needs to come up.There are no soft spots in the floor and mechanically she runs great.Boat could stand a good buffing all over.

If interested,please contact me at my email address sanoman@me.com.

So l see my last post was Oct 2015 on this boat.A lot has happened but l made it through it all! Long story short I had a brain tumor that l had to do something about before it grew anymore.Killed my hearing in my right ear but it could have affected a lot more.Had some radiation treatment last summer to stop the growth because surgery was way too risky.That put me out for several months.But I'm still kicking and have jumped back in to finish the nautique!

The whole boat has been wet sanded and buffed,engine rebuilt (that is a story in itself), teak cleaned,bilge area clean sanded and fresh Pettit bilge paint applied.I had to tint the paint cause all I could get was white.Today she goes to the local boat shop to have the engine reinstalled.
Upholstery is all done,all my work except the captains chair.I still have to redo the engine cover uph.Carpet has yet to go down.Not doing any of that until all the greasy hands are finished!
Oh,the engine! I take the boat to have the engine checked and all maintenance done by a "professional".I go to see the progress about a week later to see that the engine cover was off,as well as the spark arrestor.With a screw driver poked down in the carb.It had been raining and sure enough water (after a tear down) got in the top end when I couldn't start it very well. So now I have a freshly built engine to go with it.
I also purchased a new dash panel (cracked),steering wheel and several other parts for appearance purposes.Not a ton left to do at this point except reassembly.Once the boat is done I want to take the boat to a marina to be stored inside for a few weeks while I redo the trailer.Paint,restripe,and apply the original safety decals.I guess I'm kind of too anal,but wanted to do it right! I'll update as the work progresses
I'll have to work on figuring out how to do more pics! Can someone tell me an easier way
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2018 at 9:27am
Glad to hear you made it through everything and are able to work on your boat again. The method for posting pictures described at the beginning of this thread is the best way I know. I get them sized and saved, click on the icon with a tree and up arrow when I want to insert them in the message. Good luck finishing her up.
'92 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2018 at 10:48am
Atta Boy Don!   So happy to hear that you're fighting the good fight and kicking Cancers Can and finishing the boat to boot! Well done Man!!!!!! Lets see some more pictures of the 89. Sounds like you did a jam up job on her. Most importantly.....Get her out and enjoy the fruit of all your hard work! Congrats on Both Accomplishments!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 9:16am
Thanks for the replys! I think I figured out that this iPad is a little aged and won't respond well with this website. I'll post up some pics on the desktop.the next couple days.
I took the boat to a shop yesterday that has a great old correct craft tech I have known for years.Hopefully they won't have it very long installing the engine.Engine block will be sprayed in its original silver color. In the process of trying to get this engine cranked up before rebuild,we figured out that it needed a new carb.A Holly 4160 600 cfm is what is going on top. I'll spend some time today working on the teak,and going through all the parts,nuts and bolts,and other inventory.

As a side note,I ran into a buddy yesterday that is super interested in a possible purchase.I tried to scare him away with a high price,but it didn't phase him.He asked a ton of questions about her,so we'll see.I invited him to ride on one of the of the first cruise's down the lake.Bring your checkbook bro.......
sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2019 at 7:17am
Been over a year since I last posted up.Health not so good,so gonna try to move this boat out.
Let me know if you are interested
1989 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic