Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To lube or not to lube....(prop taper)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To lube or not to lube....(prop taper)
    Posted: July-04-2014 at 3:42am
Hi all.

I bought myself a nice shiny new ACME puller today, and it worked like a charm. I put my prop on and ran the boat once this past month, and I couldn't budge it off without a puller. Now, I did not put any neverseize on the taper because I read Peter's great post about lapping and so on. However, the info that came with the puller says that a slight amount of grease or antiseize is acceptable.

What are you all doing? Dry fit? Tiny bit of neverseize? Dab of grease?

I searched but could not find a definitive answer.

Thanks.

Corey.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 9:54am
Interesting the instructions say to lube it. I was always told not too and never have. I'd rather have to use a puller than to have a prop fall off. Splined shafts I lube.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 10:42am
-1 on the lube!

If the prop was stainless then it might want to seize. The prop is nickle - brass - aluminum, doesn't react with the stainless shaft.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 11:38am
Corey,
I suggest no lube on the taper. Most of the torque from the shaft to the prop is transmitted via the taper. If a lube is used, then the torque goes to the prop via the key/keyway. A 1/4" key will not handle the torque load. The instructions that came with the prop may have been for the splined props. Take a look at them again and get to us.

Yes, a puller is always needed on a properly fit/lapped prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 1:20pm
I could take a photo of the instructions and post it, but have to run to work. Here is a typed quote....note step 5....

ACME MARINE GROUP PROP PULLER INSTRUCTIONS
(for the traditional style puller-part #228S)

1. Remove the cotter pin. Loosen the prop nut two turns (do not remove the nut). You want approximately 2 full threads of space between the nut and prop hub.
2. Back out the prop puller bolt to allow for installation of the puller. The puller "fingers" slide between the forward end of the prop hub and aft of the strut. The puller bolt cap is positioned over the end of the shaft aft of the prop.
3. Advance the puller bolt clockwise with a wrench. Do not over-tighten. The purpose of tightening is not to break the prop free, but to apply ample pressure on the end of the shaft and the forward end of the prop hub to transfer the shock, during impact, with a hammer.
4. Once the puller is firmly in place and the puller is tightened down, hit the puller on the end opposite the bolt, with a hammer (it is also possible to hit the head of the puller bolt, hitting it on the finger end is preferred, to avoid causing damage to the bolt, cap or bolt threads). It may be necessary to repeat steps 3 & 4. The hammer impact and harmonics should be enough to break the prop free form the shaft taper. Once free, remove the nut prop, and key( if app).
5. When reinstalling the propeller, a very light film of grease or anti-seize on the shaft/bore taper is acceptable, but do not over-apply. Also do not over-tighten the prop nut. Approximately 35 foot pounds is sufficient.

It does not say what type of taper splined or otherwise....weird.

Corey.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 6:09pm
I must call Acme to discuss the issue!! I can't believe their instructions!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 9:45pm
Sounds like Quinner's tool box has another use
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2014 at 6:35pm
Just spit on it.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 10:22pm
I have always put them on dry,
But if it is a new prop it always helps to get some lapping compound and, spend a few minutes lapping it in, then wipe it down before installing.
I do however put a little grease on the nut, a little on the threads and a little on the face of it will reduce friction and help it tighten up.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 2:30pm
Nobody ever heard of "don't believe everything you read" ?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 5:32pm
I just replace my original prop on my '01 Air. It had oil on the key and shaft. I got the slightest curl bend on the tip of one blade. I visited a pier I've never been to before. The only thing I can think of is while holding the boat in waist deep water, the prop hit a root riding down a roller coming in. When I left the pier I heard a new whirl sound, couldn't feel vibration though. No scratches, the patina not even messed up. I know I didn't hit anything while it was spinning. Any way, I guessed it came from the factory with oil.
Tim D
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2014 at 6:09pm
If the prop is properly lapped in and there isn't any bronze left on the shaft taper i don't see where a light coat of oil will hurt. Its just going to squeeze out When its tightened up. I dont think i would use something heavy like grease though.
My prop shaft has(had) little pieces of bronze imbedded into the taper from the old wheel or previous failures so i had to chisel some of it off to get a proper fit.
missicbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missicbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2014 at 5:47am
The prop is nickle - brass - aluminum, doesn't react with the stainless shaft. Fifa 15 Coins
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2014 at 5:14pm
I lap my prop's in, then after cleaning the shaft and prop with soapy water and drying them I put a very thin wipe of marine grease on the contact points and the threads. After our recent accident I pulled the prop. I cranked hard on the prop puller and nothing. With the prop puller fully tensioned and the prop nut loose about 1/4 inch I hit the prop puller with a 2 lb ball pen hammer and the prop made a loud twang and popped loose. Based on the twang and very hard removal I think it seated just fine in spite of the light grease which helped with assembly and getting the prop lined up with the marks on the shaft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2014 at 8:45pm
I personally would suggest avoiding any lubricant since I don't want someone getting the idea that more is better and then over applying it. If you do use a lubricant, the lighter the better (10W) and only a very light film. I would not use grease as it may not completely squeeze out and prevent full contact with the taper surfaces.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2014 at 10:31pm
Mighty early in the morning to be talking about lubing your shaft.
Tim D
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2014 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Mighty early in the morning to be talking about lubing your shaft.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2014 at 3:14pm
For some of us that's just how we start our day.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2014 at 8:23pm
Every day
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic