NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter/alternator

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter/alternator
    Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:03pm
I'm looking at grabbing a starter and alternator from malibud from his '95 GT 40 for my lefty I'm building.
Question is will these wire up using my '85s existing wiring harness. I don't have either of my boats here to look at to compare.
I do remember something about the alternators being different from the old to the newer and I think the starter will need a different hot feed (from the battery?) on the newer starter.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 8:18pm
Paul,
The only difference I'm aware of is external VS: internal regulation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 2:55pm
On the starter, is the 95 starter a permanent magnet type?

It should work and will probably be better, but there is a subtle change to the wiring. The top two starter "kits" here give a little insight. http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1030

Basically, the old solenoid stays in place. But, now the new starter is getting a heavy gauge constant hot line from the constant hot side of the old solenoid to the constant hot side of the new solenoid piggybacked onto the new starter.

And, the switched hot side of your old solenoid will be connected, via lighter gauge wire, to the small post on the new piggybacked starter solenoid.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2014 at 11:19am
Thanks Brian I knew there was a slight difference but don't have either boat home to compare.
skihi1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skihi1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 4:51pm
I am a little skeptical about changing the wiring for a new starter. I recently bought a new Arco starter and was wondering if a jumper wire from the S on the new starter / solenoid to the hot wire from hot wire from the old Ford solenoid / starter relay to the new battery connection on the new starter? Does this make sense?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2014 at 1:15am
That might work....

The way PCM did it was a little different I believe.

The B on the new starter would be getting constant positive from the constant hot side of the old Ford Solenoid in your diagram and the S would be getting switched positive from the S side of the old solenoid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic