Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pump(s)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump(s)
    Posted: May-21-2014 at 11:51pm
We're having some slight problems with our 1996 Ski Nautique. Cuts out randomly, looks like fuel related problems. So we're looking at checking and maybe replacing the fuel pumps.

Since I don't have access to our boat at the moment, we can't check for part numbers unfortunately.

The engine we have in our Nautique is exactly the same as the one in the image below:

Just to make sure, could someone confirm we're looking at the right parts if we would order the following parts:

High pressure fuel pump:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080025A

Low pressure fuel pump:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080018

Fuel relay (2 needed?):
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R130011

If someone could confirm these are the right parts for our Nautique, or aren't, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 1:44pm
there is a GT40 troubleshooting thread, you should probably check that first.   A common problem on these engines is that some sort of fuel pick up tube in the FCC unit goes bad and needs repair.   I haven't experienced it personally, but many of the guys here have experienced the issue and done the repair.    fuel pumps are going to run you a few hundred bucks, so checking the little 5 dollar tube is a good place to start.    Also, the relay is a standard automotive type, they can be had for pretty cheap locally.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 4:48pm
Wait until lewy2001 chimes in,I think he's our resident gt40 expert

GT40 link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 10:43pm
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2014 at 1:17am
Checking that all out. Thanks for the replies so far!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2014 at 11:22am
Fuel pressure check is the first thing to do. Before ordering and replacing fuel pumps.

This old Fuel Supply thread half way down the first page has pictures of how to do this and much more info that may help also.

The small hose in the FCC is worth replacing and while you are inside the FCC replace the filter if you have not already.

The Hella relays for fuel pumps and EEC are also worth ordering as they are fairly inexpensive, and carrying a spare on board is recommended.

Some more info may help in further diagnosis.

Is the problem intermittent and only happens when operating temp reached?

Does the engine shutdown or just stumble (loose rpm's)?
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2014 at 11:50am
Mark,where is a good place (meaning cheap) to get the relay's?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2014 at 10:28pm
Gary coped this from the GT40 Diag thread.

"Yes the fuel pump relay and EEC relay are the same. They are a Hella unit I have been trying to get my local Hella agent to source them. I dont think he is trying that hard a bit of Internet trolling came up with this pretty quick.

The Hella part # is 4RD 960 388-31.
The US Hella number is 87412.
PCM part # is R130011

You can also purchase a ECHLIN equivalent at NAPA pt # AR174 for $10.97"

Gary in the end I purchased Hella relays from Amazon after trying to source them from Hella Australia unsuccessfully.

GT40 Relays Amazon

The freight for Amazon items to Australia is far less expensive than any other freight method from the US to Australia.

Hey.... Gary also make sure your battery measures at least 12.8V with engine not running
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2014 at 10:51pm
Thanks Mark. After the fiasco at GL last year I bought an optima so I should be good to go.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2014 at 2:56am
Thanks for helping us out! Should be boating again very soon...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2014 at 2:48pm
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 8:01am
Turned out to be a bad connection somewhere in the kill switch. Cheap and easy fix. Thanks all!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:11am
Glad that you found it!

Sorry I didn't think of the kill switch sooner. I always forget how much trouble they can cause. They control the fuel instead of the ignition or starter (like you'd think) so it can be tricky to figure out.

I updated the GT40 thread.
StevoDevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevoDevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 10:26pm
Hi guys,

Where do I find the kill switch? I'm having a similar issue as describes in this thread with my GT-40.

Thanks!

Steve
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 10:32pm
The kill switch is the lanyard. It should be somewhere near your throttle if you have one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic