NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ProTec Ignition replacement question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

The black crimpers you have are good for the tube style terminal ends.

The terminal "ends with arms" I think go with a crimper that has a special die that will roll the arms in automatically as it's squeezed. But, those aren't the terminal ends you're actually using?

Those are the ends that came with the dizzy. There is another piece they go into that clamps them to the dizzy cap. I believe my spark plug wire crimper tool has the dies for this type of terminal end. If these are the correct dies, do I strip the wire like my previous pic or do I place the supplied terminal ends unstripped and allow the crimpers to roll then ends over piercing the wire inside?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 1:41am
I believe you want to "strip the wire like my previous pic." If you put them over the insulation, it's unlikely it would pierce through with enough bite to get you a good contact.

If you happen to have heat shrink tubing laying around, it wouldn't hurt to put that over the terminal end. Actually, they have a type of insulation that can actually be painted on after as well.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 8:01am

I believe you want to "strip the wire like my previous pic." If you put them over the insulation, it's unlikely it would pierce through with enough bite to get you a good contact.

If you happen to have heat shrink tubing laying around, it wouldn't hurt to put that over the terminal end. Actually, they have a type of insulation that can actually be painted on after as well.

I have plenty of heat shrink tubing. Do I use the black die in the pic or the one with the colored dots? My guess would be the black die as the die seems to be more rounded and would close those posts tighter around the wire.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 9:45am
I would strip the wire to less length & have those end tangs crimp down on insulation. I think that is why they are wider.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:07am
There's a gap below the spade head. I could always flatten the stripped wire and shove it under the spade head and wrap the prongs around the insulated part of the wire.

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

[QUOTE=Bri892001] Do I use the black die in the pic or the one with the colored dots? My guess would be the black die as the die seems to be more rounded and would close those posts tighter around the wire.

Yeah try the black dies. Changing the terminals out is not an option? Are you familiar with Skycraft on Fairbanks? This is about the point I'd go there. I never fully understood those terminals but from my experience I think they're a poor design
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I would strip the wire to less length & have those end tangs crimp down on insulation. I think that is why they are wider.

Good point and sharp eye Chris. I didn't notice the wider set of arms.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Yeah try the black dies. Changing the terminals out is not an option? Are you familiar with Skycraft on Fairbanks? This is about the point I'd go there. I never fully understood those terminals but from my experience I think they're a poor design

I think we have some terminal ends here at work I can practice on. And yes, I am familiar with Skycraft. Love that place. I could also solder the wire to the terminals for some added strength.

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:24am

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Good point and sharp eye Chris. I didn't notice the wider set of arms.

I disagree guys. Those are the only tangs for making contact with the bare wire. You crimp them on the insulation and the only contact you'll have is a few ragged strands of the wire on the spade lug itself. A marginal connection at best.
You might be able to solder it after crimping in that fashion (if you know what you're doing) but then you'll heat up the insulation making the crimp marginal at best then.

I would just crimp on the bare wire myself.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:33am
The crimp is definitely designed so that the pair of tangs closest to the blade crimp down on the stripped wire, preferably after being tinned, and that the second set crimp down upon the insulation providing a strain relief for the first set. Its actually a pretty tough connector to do a good job crimping with anything other than a connector specific tool set but every ignition company still seems to send them out.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 10:45am
I have regular waterproof spade connectors at the house. The only thing I would lose would be the brown clips that the terminal end goes into. I would just run each spade to the each post on the coil. It's always an option if the supplied connectors cause me issues.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 9:50pm
Do I need to put assembly lube or motor oil on the dizzy cam gear or does it go in dry? Directions don't mention anything about it needed lube.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 2:21pm
In your first photo there, what is that small device packed on the red and white cardboard?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

In your first photo there, what is that small device packed on the red and white cardboard?

It's an inline spark tester.   You can use the spark plug instead if you prefer, but the tester helps lessen the risk of getting shocked

JP - Definitely watching your progress - I'll probably be doing this in the future too

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

It's an inline spark tester.   You can use the spark plug instead if you prefer, but the tester helps lessen the risk of getting shocked

JP - Definitely watching your progress - I'll probably be doing this in the future too

Yeah. It was only $10 and I figured it wouldn't hurt to add one to my toolbox.

Called the manufacturer today and they said I can install the dizzy dry, but if I was concerned, a little cam lube on the gear would certainly not hurt.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2014 at 6:43pm
Got the swap done today. Beat the serious rain by about 2 minutes. She was a little tough to start, but once we set the idle timing at 12 she purred like a kitten. I did notice my plugs were very white. I need to adjust the carb to fatten it up. Its a 4010. Not sure which way to turn the mixture screws on the side (in or out).

Still need to clean up a few things (the coil insulation on the bell housing and some wire separators).

I think it came out great. Looks like I have enough room to put the plastic cover back on, but not sure I well.

I ruined the supplied tach and 12V terminal ends, so I used weatherproof ones. Oh well.

I will do the write up shortly. Here are some pics:

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2014 at 8:06pm
Congrats on getting it up and running. Looks great
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 2:25am
Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the write up. Congrats on completing the job. Have you done an on-the-water test yet?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 2:56am
nice upgrade!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the write up. Congrats on completing the job. Have you done an on-the-water test yet?

No water test yet. It started to rain as we finished up. I'll definitely be taking it out next Saturday for a full day of running it. Once timed properly she fired right up. Going from 3000 rpm straight to closed throttle resulted in no rpm dips or stumbles like she used to. She ran nice and smooth.

Gonna fire her up today again and double check everything. In my pic it appears my idle might be at 14 degrees. I need to double check that.

I also want to take some more pics of how I ran the plug wires and to clean up a few things while I'm in there.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 1:12pm
A couple more pics. The spark arrestor hose barely makes contact with one of the wires. Not sure if I will swap it out or what. Going to get another set of wire organizers to tidy everything up a bit nicer.

Wifey misses the plastic cover, so I am going to modify it to fit over the dizzy. I have clearance on the top, just need to notch the front to clear the wires.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 1:40pm
Looks great. It's funny that your wife is poking around under the doghouse. I thought the doghouse was the one place where a man is safe from interior design suggestions, LOL.

I wouldn't lose sleep over the spark arrester hose touching a wire.

halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 2:20pm
Nice work!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 2:30pm
Nice to see attention to detail.

Can you flip the mesh part of flame arrestor over to make it clear? Hose will probably be short. Even if it touches doubt it would be a problem.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Nice to see attention to detail.

Can you flip the mesh part of flame arrestor over to make it clear? Hose will probably be short. Even if it touches doubt it would be a problem.

Those hose adaptors usually screw (or are riveted in) ....you can move it if you want........

Nice job - The Barefoot will be needing this in the future - we had the DUI on the Tique - loved it!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 11:12pm
Nice work!
I see a riser gasket replacement in your near future!
You have some leaks there...and you do not want any water leaking to the engine...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 11:19pm
I think those leaks were from before when the PO had the boat. I've never seen water leaking from either riser. the rust stains drive me nuts.

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 11:28pm
If it's it leaking you won't see it wet, you'll see the stains. Clean it up and give it squirt of paint, if it comes back it's still leaking.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 8:39am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

If it's it leaking you won't see it wet, you'll see the stains. Clean it up and give it squirt of paint, if it comes back it's still leaking.

Good to know. I'll just replace the gaskets. They're only $10 each from what I can find on SkiDim.

Pretty straight forward to change right? Just remove the 4 bolts on top of the riser, clean the mating surfaces and reinstall the riser???Looks like the tab on the gasket faces forward on my set-up.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 9:13am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Pretty straight forward to change right? Just remove the 4 bolts on top of the riser, clean the mating surfaces and reinstall the riser???Looks like the tab on the gasket faces forward on my set-up.

More like remove the two short bolts... break the two long bolts... get the torch out heat the riser... vice grips on the remaining part of the bolt... hope for the bolt to spin free.
Not to hard really.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic