Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Help Please

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryan78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Help Please
    Posted: April-22-2014 at 11:52pm
I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me. The video below is the engine of our 1978 Ski Tique with a 302 Ford. The bolts on the bottom pulley came loose and ripped the pulley apart. I replaced the pulley, but now the top pulley is making noise. Also, I am not sure the belts are tight enough. Can someone please tell me if this is ok to drive or if something needs replaced?

My father was always the one who could fix the boat, but he passed unexpectedly this year and now I am not sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

video
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:00am
Hi Ryan,

that is not normal.
I'll shoot a video of mine tomorrow and will post.
Other folks will have more detailed explanation and some might be close enough to help! This site is full of useful information and the folks here help each other out like family
1994 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:08am
It appears the top pulley is off center, remove the pulley, and check for slop in the bolt holes, then check the pulley surface with a straight edge, also check the water pump flange to see if its bent with the pulley off.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:18am
Seems like when you shook the top pulley, there was some play there. I'm wondering if the water pump bearings (which would be the whole water pump for practical purposes or a rebuild) are going?
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:33am
It looks like the water pump is toast. i'm surprised it isn't leaking water.
Ryan78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:47am
Thank you all for the replies. If I need to order a water pump, any idea where from? Thanks again
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:50am
www.skidim.com
www.n3boatworks.com
www.christinesmarine.com

Good luck
Ryan78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:55am
Thank you. Stupid question, is the flange the "shaft" that the pulley is on?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Ryan78 Ryan78 wrote:

Thank you. Stupid question, is the flange the "shaft" that the pulley is on?

Yep. I wouldn't go and order a pump until you've investigated further. The pulley wobbles, but too much relative

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 10:35am
Remove the belt and see if it's the pulley wobbling or the pump shaft itself. if it's the shaft, replace the pump.

It should look something like this:
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 10:45am
Exactly, remove the pulley and wiggle the shaft. It would be pretty odd if the pulley was loose enough to wobble like that unless it was just loose bolts. The current pcm replacement pump is bi rotational unlike the original. If you end up needing it give me a call.

Take more videos of the pieces with the belt off then with the pulley off and we can help you along!!

Too bad about your dad but I am sure he would be proud of you keeping the old girl running.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 9:38pm
That sheave on the circ pump sure looks like it's not running concentric! If I can see it in the video, it's bad. Why the fancy aluminum sheave on the crank? Is it anodized? If not, it does not have a place in a marine environment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Why the fancy aluminum sheave on the crank? Is it anodized? If not, it does not have a place in a marine environment.

Corrosion problem Pete? This one on the water pump of the Shamrock was on there even when it was a saltwater boat back in the early 90's.
Had planned on leaving it on there,I guess I should look for a steel
one?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Ryan78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2014 at 10:46pm
Went up to the lake today and took the pulley off. The noise is coming from the shaft. Looks like I need a new water pump. I appreciate everyone's assistance. Thank you!!!!!
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2014 at 11:06pm
A 78 Tique has a REVERSE rotation engine it needs a reverse rotation water pump. You may also be able to buy a Bi-rotational water pump.

e-basic power.com has them.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Ryan78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2014 at 1:03am
Hello,

I finally made it back to the lake and pulled the water pump. I can't seem to find an exact match online. I found similar ones, but they all have more holes than the one I have.
Can anyone please assist? Here is a picture.

Thank you
Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2014 at 9:26am
Is this it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-SB-289-302-351-Water-Pump-Reverse-Rotaion-/251526193809?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a90212291&vxp=mtr
Ryan78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 9:44am
No that is not it. I am still trying to figure out how to post a picture. Thank you though!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 10:23am
Ryan, are you trying to post from a mobile device? That won't work unfortunately. You have to email it to yourself, gmail etc., then download it to a real desktop. Then you can upload. Also, don't use quick reply, use the Post Reply button which gives you more options.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic