NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Secret Boat Quest Expansion

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Secret Boat Quest Expansion
    Posted: April-22-2014 at 3:36am
When I met the wrecking crew this winter, I mentioned my nefarious scheme to have an Air Nautique in the near future. Adam dubbed it my "Secret Boat" because it is a tough sell with the wifey BUT I know she will love the upgrade. The "near future" is getting closer.
My problems:
1. I am cheap-I want a good deal.
2. It turns out that I seem bracketed to the 98-2003 AN/SN DD family which includes the Pro Air. I would REALLY like the FCT2 tower for my boat lift and canopy.
3. I really want a working ballast system for the way we ski/board. We are going from footing to swiveling (not me, the wife) to boarding to ATB's and it will be the "back up boat for the ski team.
4. I really like a boat close by in Tarpon Springs, but it has the FCT1 tower, and I am concerned it will not fit under my canopy on the boat lift. I will be looking at it soon (Thanks Bobby) but if I am spending the money, I would like to get as close to my dream boat as possible.
5. There are other boats out there, but they will be a 4 day trip for me.
Here they are:
Tulsa
or
Detroit

I like both boats, but the yellow appeals to me on a Banana George level. Has anyone seen these boats? I will be driving two days up to get them from Winter Haven if I want to get them and two days back. Once I spring the secret boat plan on my wifey, I will probably need to move fast. Any tips on the 2003's? Were the instrument/keyboard issues solved by then? Any inputs are welcome!!!
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 4:35am
Here is one that is close by with the rare tandem trailer.
Callahan Fl
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:07am
2002 was the last year of the Air/Sport, in 2003 the 206 and 216 were introduced, the 206 is the Ski Nautique Open Bow (SNOB) with the 216 being the somewhat replacement for the Sport/Air. Sport is 21' long, 206 is 20'-6" and the 216 21'-6". The 206 will be the best all around boat for what you guy's do, best slalom wake and tracking of the group and will do everything else well. I would jump on the yellow one, Tullfooter or another CCF member may be nearby to look it over for you prior to making the trip to pick it up.
BTW, if the 206 has a ballast tank (trick tank) in the trunk it adds about 200lbs, if not you could plumb a bag system back there which could probably hold more weight. No issues with 2003 and beyond gauges.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:18am
Thanks Quinner, but the Secret Boat just became "not so secret" because my wife wanted to know why I was up until 3pm last night. She is on board with the boat in Tarpon, but drew the line at $18,000. I agree that the 206 would have been the boat of choice. I guess I will just have to deal with the FCT1 issue down the road. If any CCF members do know anything about the Detroit boat, let me know, because if the Tarpon boat falls through I may go back into "secret/stealth mode" to finagle it into our budget.
So the next question is.......is it worth it to spring for a $2000 New Beginnings FCT2 to replace the FCT1? Will a used FCT1 bring anything on craigslist?
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:39am
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

So the next question is.......is it worth it to spring for a $2000 New Beginnings FCT2 to replace the FCT1? Will a used FCT1 bring anything on craigslist?

I wouldn't let the FCT1 stop you from buying a potentially really nice boat. Is it worth it to replace with a NDT tower? That's more of a personal question but the FCT2 tower when folded is still taller than the windshield. The FCT1 will really not bring much if anything on CL. My advice is if the boat checks out mechanically and cosmetically and you are happy with it overall and it fits your budget, buy it. Run it as is for a while and down the road if you don't like the tower you can always replace it. But you will have to drill new holes for another tower and fill/fix the ones from the FCT1 which is an added expense. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:44am
I have had both towers, the 1 when folded will be about 8"-9" taller then the 2, it has 4 allen bolts that need to be removed to fold it while the 2 has 2 hand knobs. If you have a tower mounted bimini you may be able to fold the tower with it in place with the 1, on the 2 the mounts most likely will be on both the fixed and folding bars of the tower so it will need to be taken down/booted to fold the tower. With the bimini combo it took about the same time to fold either tower, without bimini the 2 is much faster. Tough to say if the 2k tower upgrade is worth it, the 1 might fetch in the range of $400.
Can you post a link to the Tarpon boat
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 11:17am
Thanks Guys. Here is the link:
Tarpon Pro Air

As an update, the Detroit boat is sold.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 11:49am
You do realize that the FCT folds forward as well don't you? It's not much lower than the FCT 1 when folded. Although, certainly much easier than the FCT1 to fold, the FCT is still a PITA to fold, particularly if you have a bimini or any tower speakers.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 12:00pm
That's too bad about the Detroit boat, I could have probably driven out there to give it a look, maybe even towed it part of the way down for you to make that trip easier. Good luck with your hunt, glad the Mrs. is onboard, kindof.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 1:13pm
I am secretly searching for the same boat A DD 206 would probably be my choice. It may be a while before I can realistically do it, although selling the two I have now would help (both of which I would rather keep if I could).
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

That's too bad about the Detroit boat, I could have probably driven out there to give it a look, maybe even towed it part of the way down for you to make that trip easier. Good luck with your hunt, glad the Mrs. is onboard, kindof.

That was a sweet boat. I wonder what kind of lift went with it? That would have sealed the deal for me. Plus a Catamaran.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 2:14pm
What is up with this one? Is that tower safe?https://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41932
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 2:58pm

What is up with this one? Is that tower safe?https://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41932
Safe? Yes. Appeal to a particular taste? Definitely. The good news is, that's boat's like an hour from me, I could be down there this afternoon. No pics of the engine though...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 2:59pm
actually, let me use my thinkerator here...I'm driving to ReidP's place with an empty hitch in 48 hours...you make the move on that one quickly and I can bring it to Charlotte for you...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 3:06pm
just looked again, not in love with the snaps...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 3:11pm
that and the color scheme
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 3:15pm
I like the colors, I've never particularly been a fan of that graphics package, but I'm down with the green and grey
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 5:09pm
I called on it,and it is not set up for ballast pumps. It is a Sport with Air markings. Looks nice, but I don't love the tower, and for that price, I could get the Tarpon boat and add a ND tower and be in love with the boat.
Thanks Adam for volunteering to haul it. This site rocks.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 6:51pm
I like the '99. That red is just a nice looking red in my opinion. Also, the price isnt too shaby
1972 Mustang
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 7:26pm
Tom, I may be hauling our '02 down to my parents house this weekend and will be 5 minutes away from that Air Nautique in Tarpon and would be happy to go look at it with you if you wanted. I've had enough Nautiques to know what to look for and what to stay away from. Heck, bring your slalom ski and I'll give you a pull on Lake Tarpon too. That's most likely the lake that boat has racked up its hours on. I'll know tonight for sure if we are going down or not.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:18am
Hey Bret,
Thanks, that may work out. I am going tomorrow to look it over and ski a bit and put the deposit down. The check will be fedexed tomorrow after everything checks out. I guess we will wait for the check to clear before I bring the boat home, so it may be there this weekend until I can bring it home. I will PM you my number.
Thanks
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 1:57am
love that you are upgrading already!

had a '03 206 and it was Patti's favorite boat ever. Gotta agree with CQ (gulp!)that boat did everything well.

but what I am really waiting for is the pics of your new lift....I have seen your sweet dock in person....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 8:26am
Hey Jbear,
The lift is coming by freight mid May, which calls for a mini reunion where I provide beer and food, and the Wrecking Crew becomes the Construction Crew. We have to put the lift and canopy together, then figure out how to get the boat up on it!
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 4:14pm
Lower it first, its way harder to get the boat on when its up
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 10:40am

Hey Jbear,
The lift is coming by freight mid May, which calls for a mini reunion where I provide beer and food, and the Wrecking Crew becomes the Construction Crew. We have to put the lift and canopy together, then figure out how to get the boat up on it!
Tom

I am down for that..just let us know when the lift hits town....Wrecking crew to build..yeah..sounds about right!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 1:57pm
I'll be boat less in may since I'm doing carpet and upholstery, but that might be a good excuse to get some more GA folks rounded up and drive down to help and for me to get pulled.
Morfoot, your up for this?
1994 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic