Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers cracked on '06 226 TE

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jeff.hancock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringers cracked on '06 226 TE
    Posted: April-19-2014 at 1:20am
Took my boat in to have the steering and throttle cables replaced and the dealer told me the stringers were in bad shape. Seems to me that an 8 year old boat should not have this problem.   I am in shock at this point. How does that happen?   This seems so fundamentally wrong that this would have failed.   Is this common? I have pictures I can e-mail.   Looking for some guidance on this.

I am the second owner. Bought it from Nautique dealer in Miami through central Kentucky inboards (broker).    
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 1:27am
Uh, what?!?! Can you please give us more information. If you can email photos you can post them here. Go to the Boat Maintenance form and then look for the FAQ. You'll find instructions for posting photos there.

A 2006 boat has no wood in it. The stringers are composite/fiberglass and are basically a lifetime item integrated into the backbone/structure of the boat. What in the world would cause composite stringers to be in bad shape? This makes no sense.

Who is telling you this information? How many hours are on the boat?

Post photos and please provide us with more data.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 2:34am
^^what he said

Picture help

What you're describing absolutely should not be happening...

bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 11:37am
Thank you!    That is what I am thinking. It makes no sense to me.   Dealer replacing cables for me found it. He sent pictures and told me I should come and see for myself.   I have IPad and don't think forum accommodates uploading photos from this format.   If you can e-mail me, could I send you the photos to post?   My e-mail is Jeff.hancock@me.com.    Boat only has 230 hours on it?   Thanks for your help.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 1:05pm
Sent you an email Jeff. Send me the images.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 4:17pm
Here they are. It looks bad, but I'm not sure that describing this as "bad stringers" is the right description. I also don't know if this is as bad as it looks. Somebody else with a v-drive and knowledge of this area of the boat needs to jump on here and tell us what is going on.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 4:19pm
For orientation we are looking aft. The v-drive is shown there on the left of the photo.

I looked again - I wonder if that is just gelcoat that is cracked. The engine is mounted to aluminum stringer reinforcements I believe.

That's the extent of my knowledge. Somebody point us in the right direction here.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 9:22pm
I don't feel it's just a gel crack. Some more and better pictures are needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 10:54pm
That's not gel, it's bilge paint. I would say it's been in some sort of a collision or has run a ground. Looks like its been repaired from the different color paint there. I would have a very hard time believing someone could crack the boat there with "normal use."   
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 11:15pm
Don't know a lot about that model but would have to agree looks like poorly repaired collision or miss use damage.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 12:06am
Whoa! That is not good at all.   Definitely some major structural damage. I would be poking all around looking for more evidence of issues and other possible repair work. Closely inspect all the underwater running gear....rudder port, shaft log, etc.   should be able to see if things have been fixed or replaced.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 11:09am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I would say it's been in some sort of a collision or has run a ground. Looks like its been repaired from the different color paint there. I would have a very hard time believing someone could crack the boat there with "normal use."   

+1 ..... The different colored bilge paint is a key indicator that this has had some sort of repair done to it before or was an attempt to cover something up when it was sold. (IMHO) Something with a lot of force caused that 'fitting' to be pulled from the stringer. Try and get some better pics without the hoses in the way to see what we are dealing with here. IS that an attach point for the Tranny? Looks like it to me.

Jeff...where in GA are you?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 11:35am
It is hard to tell from the context, this is a situation where a few pics from farther back would help. But whoa there on the gloom and doom. From here it don't look "structural" at all. Looks like foam coming out of a raceway that is there to keep water from running up there. Something that would be in fact "painted" after the gel had already been applied to the structural members. Have someone that knows modern nautiques take a look at it but I wouldnt be loosing any sleep based on those small pics...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 11:03pm
It does look like a previous repair. It need's a better look (pictures) Like Joe said don't panic, more investigation is needed.   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2014 at 1:30pm
Either impact damage that wasn't repaired, or freeze damage. Ice is strong and will delaminate and crack fiberglass. Need to be fixed for good structure and to prevent further damage from water saturating that area and getting behind the glass. I'm always curious about stringer and structural issues on composite boats, my theory is with all the foam in them it's only a matter of time before all these composite boats start having similar issues as wood boats do.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2014 at 1:40pm
Jeff,

I assume your in ATL (or close to) and took the boat to Marine Max or some other shop on Lake Lanier?
If so, I'm sure some of the locals can come out and look at it
1994 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Toertel Toertel wrote:

Jeff,
I assume your in ATL (or close to) and took the boat to Marine Max or some other shop on Lake Lanier?
If so, I'm sure some of the locals can come out and look at it

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Have someone that knows modern nautiques take a look at it

Sebastian,
I agree with what Joe has stated. Per your statement, it sounds like any "local" on lake Lanier is a modern Nautique expert! Is the good or bad advice? I'd say the former.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 6:13pm
Hello everyone. Thanks for everyone who replied to the forum.   We sent photos to correct craft and you can see the comments below..    

I sent the pictures to our engineers who said it was not a structural issue but rather a crack in the top layer of the fiberglass that encases the stringer. They said it should be scuffed up with sand paper and mat fiberglass laid over the area. It almost looks like there was a repair to this area before due to the different gel coat colors. There isn’t any warranty claims from the original owner so it might be a damage repair. If you under take the repair, make sure the battery drain stays open.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 6:32pm
I sure would want to know what happened to it originally to warrant such a repair, and then I'd want to know how/why the original repair failed so you know how to properly fix it this time. Makes you wonder what else got repaired and if there are any future issues on the horizon waiting to present themselves.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 7:36pm
Let the buyer beware....
Js
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 8:46pm
It's not structural so throw a few layers of cloth on it & go have fun this summer. The trail is cold as to how it happened; don't lose sleep over it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 1:06pm
Very interesting indeed. Glad to hear that it is not "stringers in bad shape". Are you going to undertake the repair yourself, have the marina do the repair, or just use it as-is? Interesting how quickly everybody seems to notice the differently colored gel coat. I am adding that to my filing system under "things to look for when buying a boat".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic