Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How did ballast tanks work on this boat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did ballast tanks work on this boat?
    Posted: April-18-2014 at 10:48am
99 SAN
Hey All,
As a continuation of my quest for my "Secret Boat" (Thanks Adam) I came across this one. The ballast tanks have been removed. How hard would they be to be replaced?
Thanks,
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 10:56am
The originals were hard tanks made of similar material to a poly gas tank. A lot of guys remove them and put in bags so they could get more ballast in the boat. That boat has been for sale for a while. From the pics he posted on PN I see that the rear seat and rear deck lid have been reupholstered but the rear seat back looks a little funny, like they re-did the foam and it doesn't fit correctly now. Not sure what else needs to be fixed up but it does have closed cooling so whatever time it spent in brackish or salt would have minimal impact on engine internals. Looks like a pretty good deal overall but I have to wonder why it has been for sale for so long without anyone taking it home.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 12:41pm
Tom, I have to ask what exactly you are looking for with the new secret boat. When you were talking about an Air, I got it: more room, better creature comforts, ability for the boys to ski or wakeboard, all made sense to me. But if you start to lean toward the super air you'll still have the room, creature comforts and good wakeboard wake, but you'll be limited if they want to slalom or keep learning to foot. Just my opinion and certainly not trying to sway your decision, but I was thinking an open bow DD Air or maybe a sport would suit your needs best.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 3:39pm
Honestly, this boat appeals to my cheaper side, but I have received lots of inputs and I am back to the DD Air/Sport with tower and internal ballast pursuit. I guess it was the right price and relatively close. I was trying to understand why anyone would pull out the ballast tanks, and bhectus answered that as well. Thanks guys.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 3:51pm
just my opinion but I wouldn't focus too much on close....we have a pretty elaborate delivery network, and you're one of us now so we can find a way to turn a far away boat into a close boat in just a couple days...its been known to happen before, a bunch of times
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 4:46pm
In addition to the fact that the ballast tanks were considered undersized, the pump systems in 99 really weren't very good. It's easier to pull out the originals and put in a bag and pump system than it is to try improve the original. BKH
Livin' the Dream

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 6:07pm
So then these pop up for free?
98 ballast tanks
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 6:12pm
Thanks guys for all the inputs. I am learning a lot!
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

Honestly, this boat appeals to my cheaper side, but I have received lots of inputs and I am back to the DD Air/Sport with tower and internal ballast pursuit. I guess it was the right price and relatively close. I was trying to understand why anyone would pull out the ballast tanks, and bhectus answered that as well. Thanks guys.
Tom

It's OK to appeal to your cheaper side but if you buy a boat strictly based on that criteria, you'll hate it every time you start it up. I don't care how cheap it is.
Really, the way to get the monkey off your back on the Super Air, lets find one and go take it for drive and ski. Then you'll know for sure and can concentrate on what is better suited to you. John and I would be up for a road trip and test drive/ski any time...LOL.

Adam is right though. Many boats have been purchased here cross country and they some how found a way to get to the new owner. It might take a while but it can be done. Meeting halfway, "Pony Express", tag team, you name it, it's been done. Some have even bit the bullet and arranged for shipping. Depends on how you want to do it.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 6:42pm
Tom,

Bottom line with ballast is convenience and time, human ballast is always best as it loads and unloads very quickly, factory hard tanks are nice because you can control it from the helm + a manual valve or two under the doghouse, makes it easy but can also be a little slow filling and emptying plus the tanks take up space even when not being used. Bags can easily be made to work like hard tanks with the advantage of when not being used they do not take up space. Factory hard tanks/systems continue to get faster and more efficient, so the newer the boat the better the system. Owned a 99' sport/air with factory system, was about 400lbs of ballast, worked relatively well if you had the assist pumps.

With your kids in show skiing I would look for a sport/air, 99' is a great year as it's the first as a true walk thru open bow and it also is the last before they changed to the "bad" gauges, a 98' thru 02' will all be the same hull/wake. Down side of a 98'-99' is if they have an original factory tower, known to have issues and a PITA to fold

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 11:22pm
Ok guys I am expanding my search. I am pretty sure after an input from Hollywood that I will stick with the DD AN and I will try and find one with the FC2 tower. The only reason I got excited and ready to move on the above SAN was price. I really appreciate the inputs.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 11:38pm

Ok guys I am expanding my search. I am pretty sure after an input from Hollywood that I will stick with the DD AN and I will try and find one with the FC2 tower. The only reason I got excited and ready to move on the above SAN was price. I really appreciate the inputs.
Tom

Read- Hollywood's input mean's more to me than any of you other knuckleheads
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 12:39am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

It's OK to appeal to your cheaper side but if you buy a boat strictly based on that criteria, you'll hate it every time you start it up. I don't care how cheap it is.

Kind of like what happened when I bought the '87 BFN. But it worked out as I made money on it. It was a great boat, just not a great boat for me.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Tom

Read- Hollywood's input mean's more to me than any of you other knuckleheads

I am pretty sure its just a passing bromance
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 12:13am
So how about this one???

Sport with air markings
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
86nautique454 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86nautique454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 3:04am
99 Air
How about this one?

Bobby
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 9:34am
I'd be all over that one in Tarpon. That's a nice boat.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 10:15am
Originally posted by 86nautique454 86nautique454 wrote:

99 Air
How about this one?

Bobby

Hey Bobby,
I got your text on the Pro Air yesterday, but I was stuck in Montego Bay and the data fees are insane. OK guys, that boat is a player in my secret boat quest, but I thought that the standard Air Nautique was a more versatile boat for show skiing including barefoot, swivel, slalom, and that the Pro Air Nautique had a hull more conducive to wake boarding? Based on that, I changed my target to just the Air Nautique. Can anyone comment?
Thanks,
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 11:01am
oh the oft maligned pro air...the hull is slightly different than the air (strakes and chines) but there are very few other differences. the thing that would give me pause on that one is the 1st gen fct, I've always thought those were an eyesore. as for skiability, as HW found out last month, the slalom wake is decent, but there is a little bit of a rooster tail to deal with after 15 off. when I bought mine I kinda used the wrong criteria but it ended up working out, I love it. if you really want to know how it performs, see if you can hitch a ride with Jerry Smith (smithfamily) up to white lake this weekend, that's where I'll be.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 11:20am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

oh the oft maligned pro air...the hull is slightly different than the air (strakes and chines) but there are very few other differences. the thing that would give me pause on that one is the 1st gen fct, I've always thought those were an eyesore. as for skiability, as HW found out last month, the slalom wake is decent, but there is a little bit of a rooster tail to deal with after 15 off. when I bought mine I kinda used the wrong criteria but it ended up working out, I love it. if you really want to know how it performs, see if you can hitch a ride with Jerry Smith (smithfamily) up to white lake this weekend, that's where I'll be.

I agree with the tower. I really want a tandem trailer as well because my wife and fam will probably be hauling it between FL and SC. So lets talk about the availability of the FCT 2 tower. I am going to do a quick search.
This would be the pro air I would go with. It has everything I want. The price is right. The tower is right. It has a tandem trailer. How do I get it 2200 miles to FL?
2000 Pro Air
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 12:48pm
That one looks nice also. He just had it on ebay and it ended either yesterday or the day before with -0- bids which kind of shocked me. That would be a very good deal if it has a decent interior.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 1:12pm
The interior looks good from the few pics he has on there...the key one is the 10th where it shows the back seat and trunk, that's where mine went bad first. That price is real tempting, but there are two things missing from that ad...# of hours, and if the gauges work. They appear to be the original digital gauges, which are junk. If they work now, they probably won't for long. My fear is he didn't post the hours because they're not working at all.

The popup cleats on the gunnels in the back are a nice addition.

Getting it from Cali could be tricky, but for that price, stranger things have happened than having a boat shipped.

Its not a 2000 though, that's a 1999. The graphics are the first giveaway, but you could get alternate graphics on the 2000...what that boat is missing is the 75th anniversary emblems on the windshield...if you look at my profile pic its the yellow and black oval on the bottom corner of the windshield. Same boat, just a different year.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 1:24pm
Has to be a '00 with the optional '99 graphics because they didnt go to the digital gauges until '00.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 1:37pm
Hmmm, photo 6 looks like one of the strakes is missing some gelcoat?
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Has to be a '00 with the optional '99 graphics because they didnt go to the digital gauges until '00.
Shut up. And give me back the 20 minutes I just spent going page by page through the 99 brochure trying to find any evidence that they may have used the digital ones in 99...I could have swore those were 99-01...

Ok, so that dude must have popped the 75th anniversary decals off, which makes very little sense to me.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 5:15pm
Tom, I think a Pro Air would serve you as well as the Sport/Air. Possibly better since Thomas is into wakeboarding. Barefooting and show skiing will be the same. Ever so slightly rougher slalom wake. You won't be folding the tower much, if ever so don't hold out for a FCT2. A boat that has one will also probably have the bad gauges...

A tandem just means more tires to blow out!

I would go for that white 99 locally. Good price, close by, clean and the easiest to maintain colors in Florida.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 6:38pm
Hey Hollywood, thanks for the input! It is so much better than Adam's! I actually agree with Adam on wanting the FCT2 tower because I just ordered a boat lift, and I will be folding the tower a lot. I also want the tandem trailer because when you blow a tire, it is safer with a tandem.
I called the guy in California, and he said he estimates 630 hours based on the fact that he pulled the hobbs out when he put in perfect pass? He said the gauges were good and that he just replaced the keypad. So does that mean this is the year to avoid due to bad gauges?
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 8:57pm
So heres an update,
I called Mark in Tarpon about the Pro. (Thanks Bobby) It sounds like a great boat, and I am going to try and see it in the next few days. Can the FCT1 fold both ways? Can it fold back onto the engine cover? I wonder if a machine shop could modify the legs of the FCT1 tower with pins so you could pull the legs off right at the side braces? I think then it would fit better under the canopy on the boat lift.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 9:31pm
Folding any tower every time you pull into the lift is going to be a pain in the ass. A high canopy and shade cloth curtains is the way to go. No tower folding whatsoever.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 10:16pm
Have a FCT1 on my 98 Sport it only folds forward and is still quite tall when folded. They are not the best looking tower but they do the same job. FCT1 looks better when loaded with boards and a bimini (camoflauge ).

I looked into modifying the FCT also the limiting factor is that you need to keep the mounting points on the deck the same as you do not want to be drilling new holes in the gel and trying to fill the old ones. It could be done but would be nearly as expensive as replacing.

The FCT1 is smaller diameter but has a lot of bracing pieces to add strength. There were reports of cracking on the FCT1. There is no signs of mine cracking or ever being repaired and it gets "tested" with slalom and boarding doubles.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic