Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How did ballast tanks work on this boat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 10:45pm
I'd still take a FCT1 over any aftermarket tower except a NDT. I think they kind of got a bad wrap after the FCT2 came out because it was a little more stout but it flowed a lot better with the lines of the boat.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 1:18am
Hey Brett,
I will be fine with the tower if it fits under the canopy. Here is the canopy page from Craftlander Lifts

Lift
It is hard to find, but if you find the section called High Top Tower, they have a small picture with dimensions that show a 41" high top and 23" sides. I am hoping that will work. I may have to add side curtains.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

I called the guy in California, and he said he estimates 630 hours based on the fact that he pulled the hobbs out when he put in perfect pass? He said the gauges were good and that he just replaced the keypad. So does that mean this is the year to avoid due to bad gauges?

I would not avoid this model year just because of the potential for bad gauges. Odds are that they have already been replaced, and if not, it is a pretty easy job to replace them. Nautique made it easier by recommending replacement gauges and they were/are available at a decent price.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 11:48pm
Thanks guys for all the info. I went and saw the boat and it is real nice. We show ski and wakeboard, so I am really not concerned about the slalom wake. I put a deposit on it and will go do the final test run Monday. We did not have time to ski behind it today, and when we tried to fill the ballast tanks, one would not fill, so the owner said he would go through the system before the sale. I really liked the boat.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 12:07am
Looks like a nice one,hope everything works out for you
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 12:09am
My '98 had the ballast tanks already removed when I bought it. I did test drive a '99 Sport that had them, and the owner showed me how they filled and emptied, this boat didn't have a pump, just the factory system. The way it worked was they filled by driving forward at below planning speed, took quite a while to fill. They emptied by gravity, and I think you could speed it up by driving but not sure, only saw it that once. Not a very good system, I think you'd want a pump after using it just a few times.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 12:27am
awesome, seascamper to join the ranks of the pro air owners! counting me, that makes...calculating...carry the 4...divide by pi...yep, 2
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 12:28am
what did Mrs. Scamper say?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 1:26am
Launch control system in Air / Sport. They do not have the quick fill and empty ballast "puppy" pumps. This is another reason they were mostly removed by the serious boarders.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 1:54am
Thanks for the diagram Mark. Adam, Mrs Seacamper was actually pretty good about the whole thing. She liked the boat.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 2:26am
Tom just got some measurements that may help with your lift canopy. From the top of the windscreen to top of rub rail is 50cm (19.68") with the tower folded the measurement from top of folded leg to top of rub rail is 112cm (44.09").

Therefore folded tower is 62cm(24.4") higher than screen.

As quinner mentioned one advantage of the FCT1 is it can be folded with bimini attached.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Launch control system in Air / Sport. They do not have the quick fill and empty ballast "puppy" pumps. This is another reason they were mostly removed by the serious boarders.

Pumps were available however they were an option which I ordered, my 99 had 2 aerator pumps, one filled and the other emptied, it actually was not a bad system, if you used the pumps while driving they filled pretty quickly. Couple weak points on the system were the pumps did not last long, replaced after about 3 years and the helm valves did not really stop the water flow, it just slowed it down significantly, otherwise it worked fine. Gravity drain and the ability to fill without pumps was also a nice feature, something they eliminated on the newer systems like my 05' 206, pump must be used to fill or empty.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 12:41pm
Does anyone have a diagram of the 99 with pump assist? In the diagram above I know where the "fill" pump is, it is right after the Through Hull Water Pickup and pressurizes fill hose to the tanks. That pump must allow water to pass to the tanks if the pump is not running.
My question is on the empty pump. It must be the same. I can only guess, but it is probably on the fill line, and just allows water to pass when it is off. So when neither pump is running, and the valves to the tank are open AND the Seacock is open AND you are moving forward, (I am thinking of changing my screen name to "Seacock")the water passes past the fill and the empty pump into the tank. In this configuration, if you stop moving, the tanks drain.
What if I removed the fill and empty pumps, and replaced the fill pump with a reversible jabsco pump and replaced the empty pump with a line splice? I would lose the ability to gravity empty, and pressure fill, but I would gain a faster, more reliable fill?
Any thoughts?
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 1:24pm
On my 99 one pump was right after the seacock shown in the diagram and the other was further back in the bilge under the removable floor section behind the dog house.
You could definitely make the change you noted however may want to see how it works first. When ballast was required I would hit the fill pump and let it run while the skier was getting ready, rope out, etc. by the time you were tightening up the rope to go the tanks were full or close to it.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 1:48pm
Need one of
these
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Need one of
these

I have to tell you, THAT is how I wish I had led my life. Inventing cool stuff dealing with watersports. I am thinking that will be the new standard.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic