NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Full Seadek Floor Install on 1999 SAN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full Seadek Floor Install on 1999 SAN
    Posted: April-14-2014 at 5:41pm
Last year I decided that it was finally time to change the carpet in my 1999 SAN. But I did not necessarily want to replace it with more carpet, so I started researching options. After researching all of the faux teak options, I contacted Zach at N3Boatworks to discuss Seadek. Zach provided a lot of encouragement and agreed to provide whatever assistance and guidance he could to help me with the project so I decided to install a full Seadek floor. I finally completed the project last week.

Obviously, Seadek did not have a pattern for my boat, so I ordered some mylar sheets from Seadek to lay down on the floor and trace out a pattern

While I waited for the mylar sheets to arrive, and after pulling the interior, stereo, ballast, etc. from the boat, I began removing the old carpet. I don’t know how many of you have paid attention to how much carpet is in your 210, but I was shocked to discover how much there really is. I ultimately decided to remove all carpet except for what was on the hull walls. This meant removing carpet from the floor from bow to stern, including all of the carpet from underneath the observer’s seat, underneath the helm, from the underside of the bow seating, from the bow floor (which goes underneath the bow walkway), seat bases, hinged seat platforms, transmission cover, engine dividers…everywhere.

Next, I began the process of removing the glue and staples that held the carpet in place. This was, by far, the most time-consuming part of the entire process. There was glue under every bit of carpet…and then some. I scraped and sanded and wire brushed for weeks to remove all the glue. But I eventually got it all off.

Once the carpet was removed, it became evident that the main floor panel, ski-locker lid, and bow subfloor were no longer the correct size. Without carpet wrapping them, they were all too small and too thin. I was also surprised to discover how crooked and out-of-square each piece was. The curve of the ski-locker lid looked like it had been cut by had with a jig-saw and did not even come close to matching the curve in the floor opening. And the bow subfloor had actually been broken into three pieces at some point (I assume at the factory) and stapled back together. And it also lacked a uniform curve to match the bow. Ultimately, I added material (UHMW) edges of the main floor panel and the ski-locker lid so they would match the openings in the floor. And I made a new bow subfloor with the same material.

After removing all of the glue and staples and modifying/making the floor pieces, I cleaned and prepared everything and coated it all with a high-grade epoxy primer.

Next, since Seadek (obviously) does not cover the entire floor and leaves seams, I was faced with the final decision as to what to coat the floor with before adhering the Seadek. Gel coat is the obvious (although expensive) choice for the floor, but I wanted to coat the plastic seat bases, observer’s seat base, seat platforms, etc. with the same color and material as the floor. Accordingly, I opted for a urethane coating that I color-matched to my existing gel and could apply to all of the surfaces, which I did myself. The product is great because it leaves an orange-peel finish that hides many of the imperfections in the materials beneath but is also EXTREMELY hard and durable when dry. Unlike gel coat, I don’t have to worry about scratching or chipping it.

During the time that I was performing the work outlined above, I also traced the floor on the initial mylar sheets and sent them back to Seadek. Seadek prepared a CAD of my pattern and sent me computer-printed mylar sheets based upon the CAD. The first set required adjustments, which I made directly to the CAD mylar sheets, which I sent back to Seadek for modifications. Seadek prepared another CAD and sent me a second pattern a few weeks later, which also required a few more small modifications. After those adjustments were made, Seadek sent me a final CAD from which I ordered my final floor.

I performed all of the work myself and I am extremely pleased with the final outcome. I have attached a before photo and some photos of the process and the final results.

Huge props to Zach and N3Boatworks for all the help! Those guys are seriously the best!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 5:44pm
Excellence
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 6:23pm
Oh wow, does that ever look awesome. Well done! That makes your boat look like the brand-new six-figure machines.   
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
mann1ba View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mann1ba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 6:33pm
Great Job! Looks awesome.
1986 2001
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 7:02pm
That looks friggin' awesome!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 7:03pm
WOW that looks great!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 7:08pm
cost wise, whats the diffence between this job and carpet? I know this will last much more than the carpet though!
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 7:23pm
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Regarding cost of Seadek vs. carpet, I honestly don't know. But as set forth above, I removed A LOT of carpet from that boat that was installed in a lot of tight spaces. In fact, I am convinced that the carpet was installed before the helm and bow seating were installed because I don't see how they could have installed the carpe between the bottom of the bow walkway and the floor beneath it. I cannot imagine that if I paid someone to replaced all of the carpet that I removed that it would be much less expensive than the Seadek install. But like I said, I really don't know.

Either way, we had the boat out on Saturday and the difference in comfort and dryness between the Seadek and carpet was huge and makes the whole thing worth it.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 7:29pm
I was at the factory and in fact they lay the carpet before puting the deck piece over the hull. Its much easier!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 7:31pm
Im in the process of replacing my carpet along with the skins and this looks like a nice replacement over the carpet! but gotta figure out if the product is locally available.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 8:09pm
That is so cool. amazingly cool should be an option from the factory cool.
Lakedog55
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 8:51pm
Looks amazing.

I too would love to know the cost difference. My local upholstery lady said it would be $300 to install new carpet on the floor of our '92SN. That's not including the sides and that's with me ripping out the old carpet and prepping the floor.

If I could do Sea Deck for a similar price, I'd go for it.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 10:36pm
Well, even though it isn't original , I too must say it sure does look great even if it is a faux wood product!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:39am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Well, even though it isn't original , I too must say it sure does look great even if it is a faux wood product!

I would like to nominate this as "Surprise Comment of the Year".   
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:21am
I will second that. That floor would look great in your boat for that matter in any boat.
Lakedog55
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 4:17am
Wow! Thank you. Very high praise indeed coming from you.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 9:27am
Nice job - lots of hours for sure. Would have been good to track the hours spent on a project like this
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 9:48am
SweeeeeT
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 11:26am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I would like to nominate this as "Surprise Comment of the Year".   

Yeahhh Go PETE!!!
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:00pm
Jared - you did a great job. I have the Seadek kit at home waiting for the right time to get measurements. I'm surprised you had to send it back and forth like that.

Can I ask how much all of this cost?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:35pm
Cool project, I too am interested in the cost...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:57pm
I am pretty sure this is one of those situations where if you are asking about the cost it is not the project for you....

It does look freaking sweet!   I am interested in learning more about the urethane coating do you have a link of some sort?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I am pretty sure this is one of those situations where if you are asking about the cost it is not the project for you....

Gotta understand how much money you need to stash away... HA!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:21pm
Haha, Kutsch's boat would look sweet with Grey in it. You know how I feel about your boat Steve.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:23pm
Exactly what I was thinking Zach!
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Not really... it is easy to find per-sheet prices for Seadek on their website, and they are quite palatable. But it would be nice to know how much a custom floor with so many pieces like this actually ends up costing. Are you saying that it would make no difference if it was $1500 vs $3500?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:59pm
I think Joe was saying that if youre asking about price and comparing it to carpet, then this isnt the project for you! Seadeck is nice stuff, but it sure aint cheap- a custom project of this size is going to be spendy.

+1 on the urethane coating, I'd like to hear more about it. I think gel would have been cheap and easy on all the glass surfaces, not so much on the plastic ones.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 2:07pm
Hey guys...the cost of just the Seadek was about $1200. But the amount of floor and extra pieces that I did used three full sheets. I looked into alternative faux teak flooring while researching this project and they were double to triple this cost. Between the urethane product I used, epoxy primer, tools, supplies, shipping, etc. the total cost was around $2000. But I did a lot more than just the floor. I did seat bases, under the observer's seat and helm, the underside of the bow seating, etc. so my overall costs were on the high side. Plus, there was a little bit of trial-and-error that cost me a few bucks. Knowing what I know now, I could probably reduce the overall cost by a couple hundred dollars. But in my opinion, the cost was reasonable and definitely worth it.

The urethane is a product called "Monstaliner." The website is monstaliner.com. I did a tremendous amount of research and collected many samples of different products and this was, in my opinion, the best option. It comes in many colors, but not exactly what I wanted. But I was able to tint it to match my boat. I chose it for many reasons, but primarily because I could apply it to all of the surfaces that I needed to coat (fiberglass, plastic, and starboard) and it is super hard and durable. My boys have dropped all kinds of tools on it and nothing has even scratched it. The orange-peel textured finish also looks really nice, holds the Seadek well, and hides a lot of the imperfections of the materials underneath.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 2:08pm
How is the durability?
Lakedog55
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 2:36pm
Of the urethane or Seadek? Zach would be better equipped to discuss the Seadek (I've only had it a week). As for the urethane, there are users of the product who have painted the exteriors of their 4x4 vehicles with it here in AZ years ago and who claim that it holds up under these extreme conditions very well. In fact they report no change from the time they applied it. It is UV stable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic